What is the meaning of Stock vs Modified?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Conv; 1 of 17; 351C, 2V, Auto
What is the meaning of Stock vs Modified classes at car shows?

I read somewhere that modified means that 3 or more non factory items bolted on to make it non -factory stock.

Since I converted it to 4V from a 2v and added an external fuel filter, that make my car modified?

Also different radio is modified?

Are adding Speakers to the rear quarters also considered modified?

The definition of stock vrs modified pretty always varies from show to show. Local regional shows often are more forgiving than national shows such as MCA or AACA where extensive written rules are the guide. But even the MCA has the Occasional Driver class that typically will not penalize for after market radios, hoses, trunk mats, etc as long as it's very clean and good workmanship.

But I've seen over zealous local individuals claim that radial tires make a car modified! The changes you mention would normally not even be noticed, much less make your car modified. Overall, the rule of Three is meant to be a guide -- but, lets face it, if you install 22" wheel and tires on your 71- 73 it's gonna make it look modified even if that is the only change you make from factory stock.

This topic has always provoked lots of discussion so I'm sure others will weigh in with observations and experiences they've encountered.

General census would say anything changed from factory stock could be considered modified.

My census says is modding engines, trans, body work makes a car modified. A nice blower poking its head out the hood lets me know " hey, that car is modified". Changing from bias ply to radials I couldn't care less.

To answer your question - it really depends on the background/context of the discussion. Car show criteria can vary a lot from show to show.

Stock can be just that - STOCK - just as it was produced by Ford at the production facility.

all the way to>>>

It can be just the overall appearance to be original - or as Ford could have made it. -Like adding Magnums or factory ram-air to a car that was never so-equipped. I like those as long as the owner doesn't try and pass it off as "originally equipped".

In my experience I have seen VERY few stock 100% original cars. Hence the strong value these type of cars command if they have been well maintaned.

When I think of a modified or "modded" car, I have to notice something changed of significance. Late model drivetrain swaps would be on the higher end of modded. These cars usually do not look like they came that way from the factory. By the way - we have some really fine examples of modded cars on this site! Just sayin'...

That's just my take. I'm sure there are others that might differ some...

Ray

I would consider my car modded:

New intake & carb

AOD transmission conversion

Electronic Ignition

Afternmarket AC

But from an external appearance, it looks like it could have come from the factory the way it is. Except, it has dual exhaust with cutout rear valence, but '73 verts never came with that option. And it has an obvious non-factory paint job.

I don't really have any plans to go to shows, other than maybe some local cruise-ins... And for those, I really just want to go and enjoy the event and meet people with common interests.

I have tried to make as many of my modificstions look as stock as possible...or at least not obviously "not stock."

My changes are numerous:

Custom springs, shocks and sway bars. Custom-sized Magnums and much larger tires. No radio antenna or hole in fender. Sportlamps come on with parking lights, red centers on hub caps, front spoiler, lots of "invisible" engine and trans mods, custom-ratio steering box, custom exhaust and hand-made tips, custom-made ram-air air cleaner to fit Holly carb with mid-rise aluminum intake. Original-looking distributor with later-year "Dura-Spark" electronic ignition, module hidden from view. And more, just can't think of them now.

So, even though my car looks pretty stock to a casual observer, it is far from it.

You could argue that if you replaced a stock 2v motor with a stock 4v one that your car is still stock. While it appears that way as someone pointed out just about any changes per MCA that deviate from what the car came with is considered modified even if the "modification" is a Ford replacement. The question of dealer added options brings up whole other discussion. I'd say 99% of our cars are modified simply because 99% of them did not originally come with radial tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our local Mustang Club, decided, that 3 Major modifications, were required. This was after a member won the 07-up Modified with an essentially new car +3 little chrome bolt ons.

Most of the time a slightly modded classic, such as CZ-75 has, would go into the "Street Driven" class, as there aren't 3 Major Modifications(Sanden compressor gets a bye, and the AOD isn't a visual). Our "Modified" classes get additional points for each modification too. A chrome radiator cap, doesn't qualify as a modifiction for us.

You usually don't expect an "All Brands" Show, to follow MCA Rules. So different shows different rules.

Does a pertronix series I count as modified? Because if it aint points it would be modified to me. Only to give credit to the tough guys that keep the damned thing running with points/condenser! I used to be able to do it in 30 seconds when i was 17....but keeping a screwdriver and a file and parts in the glove was completely normal for a car owner in '78 right ?

We are trying to keep as much "stock" as possible during

the restoration project. Meaning we will replace parts with

as close as we can get to factory. Example being the intake

manifold. Previous owner put an Eldelbrock Performer which I

replaced with the original iron manifold he still had. Nothing against

Edelbrock, just that Bill Gay's group knew what they were doing.

mike

I have a hard time keeping the iron manifolds only because they weigh a ton. Shelby put alum on some of his showroom cars and i believe ford had a few also? Edelbrock has been a supplier to Ford for performance items for a long time. Yeah it isnt stock on a 72 H but it isnt a home engineered modification either.

This is completely off topic but it fits the previous posts. When I got my crate 351w from Ford Racing I was surprised to find an Edelbrock intake manifold on it instead of a Ford part.

Don't assume that the cast iron manifold was used for any performance-based reason by the engine's designers. It was cast iron only because it was cheaper. It was also a low-riser for packaging reasons on various car lines. None of the performance benefits of an aluminum intake were apparently enough to offset the low cost of using cast iron.

If you really want to be stealthy, carefully grind off all the "Edelbrock Perfomer" embossment on the top of the front upper runner, bead blast the whole thing to give it uniform surface, and paint it blue like the rest of the engine...only an eagle- eye will spot the difference.

Back