What is the right version of Pertronix Ignitor II for a 351 Cleveland 2V

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 "Q Code"
Good evening everyone, I recently purchased the Pertronix Ignitor II for my 351 Cleveland 2V, model number 91281 from Summit. The description and "check fit" option says that it works for a 1971-73 Mustang 351 Cleveland. But when I install it, the cap wobbles and is not tight. Because of this, it also wobbles when cranking the engine over. The center reluctor ring is all the way down and the rotor is all the way down in place. The distributor is/was a single points standard Duralast distributor from AutoZone and had no issues with fitment before. I will be making another run to Summit on Saturday, can anyone give me some thoughts and advice to the correct Ignitor II if this is not the right one? Also, my distributor cap is the standard cap not the HEI cap. Thanks in advance.

Tom

Thanks Hemi, yea I knew that and had it aligned but the cap was not sitting properly. Late last night I tried the original cap and it fit perfectly. Looked like the notch that you pointed out was not cut as deep when I compared the two afterwards. Thanks for the help, as always much appreciated.

Tom

The Pertronix II I bought was just the module itself. It was fitted into the stock Autolite distributor, modified for correct curve to run at 14 degrees initial advance. The cap was the same one, but fitted with 8mm spiral wound copper wires.
I am not familiar with the Duralast distributor, but if the cap for that fits, then what is the cap you're talking about. Am I missing something?
You also ought to be using the FlameThrower II coil by the way, or at least one that matches the Ohms requirement.

I had a spare new cap that I wanted to use and that one had an alignment slot as well that did not allow correct fitting around the advance screw. Old one only has a few miles on it so all is good now. Thanks.

Tom

Back