What is this and what is it supposed to do?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351 4v CJ, C6, Mach 1 Decor options, power: steering, brakes and windows, a/c, Rally Pac gauges, Deluxe interior.
[url=https://ibb.co/ZVjjKXW][img]https://i.ibb.co/zrMMbxG/s-l1600-2.jpg[/img][/url]
Coming off the steering column is this strange metal piece. It does not seem to serve a function as is, so I'm wondering if there is a part missing, or it's oriented incorrectly, or...? Behind it are the two groups of wires coming off the steering wheel that feed into the loom (ignition and turn signal).

Please ignore dangling wires. One is defunct wires to the power antenna that were ugly-connected to the accessory terminal on the fuse block and the other, wires to the brake light switch.

Should I just ignore it?

Attachments

• Under dash (1).jpg
    Under dash (1).jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Under dash (2).jpg
    Under dash (2).jpg
    225 KB · Views: 57
It seems to be the retainer in this screenshot from the manual, but I don't understand... what it retains.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 4.04.24 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 4.04.24 PM.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 39
It’s just a bracket for holding those 2 plugs in place …

I understand the comments, but from the location of the bracket and the location of the connectors, there’s no way for the turn signal plug to get there (see photos).

As long as it isn’t an essential brace for the steering wheel, I’m ignoring it.

I understand the comments, but from the location of the bracket and the location of the connectors, there’s no way for the turn signal plug to get there (see photos).

As long as it isn’t an essential brace for the steering wheel, I’m ignoring it.
Maybe your connector has been modified. As said earlier, the connectors will slide on those fingers. I don't consider them essential. They are there to hold the wires so to avoid entanglement with extremities. They could be held in other ways like cable ties.

Back