what is wrong with us?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'73 mustang convt.
So the thread on old tires got me thinking I should look at replacing mine.

But I have 14" rims and they are pretty old and I want to get new rims and tires. Maybe 17" or 18" so I can fit in disc in the back and bigger disc up front.

But if I am going to upgrade my brakes I need to make sure it doesn't change my offset for my new rims so I should do them together.

But if I am going to do the brakes I should go ahead and do the front with the new upper/lower control arms (upgraded of course) and roller perches I want along with some springs.

And there while I am doing the rear brakes I may as well replace bearings and maybe even upgrade the shafts.

So that means I would need to swap out the third member with a 31 spline so I may as well go with the higher gears but to do that I should put the 4 speed OD in (to compliment the GV).

And that's how a 500 dollar set of new tires can set you back several grand (if you are willing to justify it to yourself).

Haha. But in reality I don't think the changing of the brakes will do much to the offset so I am probably okay....

You hit the nail on the head! It gets to the point where you become obsessed with it. Once in a while you need to come up for air and say "What was I thinking???"

-Travis

You hit the nail on the head! It gets to the point where you become obsessed with it. Once in a while you need to come up for air and say "What was I thinking???"

-Travis
I resemble that remark! I started out just going to shoot some paint on it. Next thing you know the car was in pieces!

Guys!! i need somebody to convince me not to buy a 380 hp engine, disk upgrade kit, new pans, and not to mention paint and

it's called 'scope creep'....and it's in our DNA.

If you're going all the way and replacing the tranny, you'll need to refurbish the backup lamp and NSS wiring, together with the underdash, headlight, and tail-light harnessess. And with the wiring out, it'll be a good time to replace the dreaded heater core. Maybe also take out the carpeting and inspect the floor pans for any rust due to the leaking heater core. Just saying...

This actually happened to me. I was cleaning my 1966 fastback GT, and noticed a pile of lube grease in the pig trough. What's a pig trough, you ask? That's the part of the frame rail that's below the UCA that has rotted out because of grease filling the drain hole and rotted out the frame rail. The whole area was heavily undercoated, and when I removed it, I found several aluminum patch panels riveted all along the floor pans. Yup...you got it...a full restoration began, taking five years.

The moral of the story is: if it ain't broke, stop trying hard to find things wrong with it!

As the other poster said, it's in our DNA.

Maybe we're just car proud.... After all, if everybody had them, we'd all be on the "other" mustang forum now.

Isn't that how they started out? Before Mr Cage made some car movie?

Last edited by a moderator:
Copy That!

I had a skweek in the front end that ended up being:

Controll arms ups and lowers

SR bushings

Tie-rod ends

Sway bar bushings

Wheel bearings

brake pads

brake lines

brake caliper hardware

(Pitman arm and steering box on the way)

THEN I think the skweek will be fixed!

Paul

There's nothing wrong with us. It just makes efficiency sense. For instance, if I pull my engine to replace the cam and cam bearings it is a matter of efficiency that I hang a built up AODE on the back of the engine when I put it back in. Why wait until later to disconnect everything and pull the transmission from under the car. By the way, I think I had better stick in that stroker kit while I have the engine out, and already have the intake and timing cover off.

EFFICIENCY :)

There's nothing wrong with us. It just makes efficiency sense. For instance, if I pull my engine to replace the cam and cam bearings it is a matter of efficiency that I hang a built up AODE on the back of the engine when I put it back in. Why wait until later to disconnect everything and pull the transmission from under the car. By the way, I think I had better stick in that stroker kit while I have the engine out, and already have the intake and timing cover off.

EFFICIENCY :)
Exactly! That's why I need to explain to the wife that I need to upgrade the transmission so I can get new tires....

I THINK that is what my protologist called it. :s[/align]
Hopefully it's not what your proctologist is called....

Have you ever had a wife that is strong on fashion? No? You don't know what you're missing. :)

"Ok, I need a new outfit for (insert Family gathering, wedding, Easter, whatever)."

New outfit means new purse (why?!?) and thus also new shoes. Those two have to go together although they are about 40 inches apart, but, ok). She finds a pair of shoes she likes which she says will go with almost any outfit, so she buys them.

Then she finds an outfit, buys it and, yep! it doesn't go with the shoes. Dang!

We shop for shoes that go with the outfit but find a purse that goes with the shoes she now has. She buys the purse because, hey, it's hard enough to find a purse and shoes that match. No we need another new outfit to go with the purse and shoes.

Good thing she can wear the stuff she bought new to work too so that takes care of that.

We find a new outfit that goes with the purse but now her belt has silver decoration on it and the shoes and purse have gold.

We find a new belt but also need new pants because the belt will not fit the loops in the new pants..... but now the blouse.....

By that time I seriously consider taking up heavy drinking as a new hobby.

Oh, and don't get me started on changing strings on a guitar. Because now that the strings are off, I could try that unused bridge pickup I have had in my drawer for so long and while we're at it I could also go find that tortoise shell pickguard that I had somewhere..... oh no, it's been used on that guitar over there, speaking of which, that one could use a complete setup too and that tortoise guard never looked good on it anyway, so that one will get a white one and... oh, where does that neck come from?!? That would go well with that body and that unused bridge pickup that I..uhm..... oh...

Ain't we all special? :)

Yep, I started out to just to fix my console clock and since I had this part off, might as well clean up this part and then there's this part that could use some touch up, then while I'm at it might as well...

Jim

Dash and center 1.jpg

Back