What Mufflers to purchase

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

york0060

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 351C 2v, Auto
I am getting ready to put new exhaust on my 73 351 2V, I have had Magnaflows on my 65 and they sounded pretty good, just wasn't very impressive sounding idling. (of couse it was only a 289). I was just wondering what mufflers you all liked and sounded good with the engines. I am looking at Flowmaster super 40's, and Borla Pro XS right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
My engine is worked over but i kept the factory exhaust manifolds and installed a dual exhaust with plain oem size turbo mufflers. Sounds kinda loud to me at idle. Leaving a light or highway speeds sounds even louder.

So many choices and so hard to decide. Here is mine with the Pypes that Don mentions and these are the quietest and go up in sound levels from there.

I love the sound of dynomax ultras. They sound crisper than Magnaflow at partial or full throttle and louder at idle.

don't get turbo mufflers brand,,, just found out mine are leaking at the seams.

did you make a choice yet? i run magna flows after an x-pipe and shorty style headers. sounds more modern, but has a nice low rumble. they do drone a bit on the highway. i like the sound of spinach and they flow fantstically!

When I got my Mach 1 in 1990, one of the first things I did, was to take it to my local muffler shop for a new exhaust system. All I told them was to put whatever kind of generic "turbo" mufflers that they had in stock on, instead of a stock replacement mufflers. They bent up a whole new dual exhaust system ( with "H" crossover ), from scratch. Before they welded the whole system on, I asked them to let me coat the components. I spray canned all of the pipes and the two mufflers with VHT high heat black coating externally, then after it was dry, they put it all on and sealed me up. That shop has since closed, property sold, and apartments built there. The cool thing is, that I STILL am running the same exhaust system today! I don't know who made the mufflers, but they idle with a nice deep rumble, yet, on the highway, they're not loud, something I'm appreciative of on long trips or when I want to listen to some music. I recommend to anyone to paint their exhaust system. I have no rust issues even 25 years later. I suppose, since I do drive the car to work everyday, it's helped keep any moisture from forming long term and rusting the insides of the pipes....and years worth of carbon deposits couldn't hurt either. Today, the black paint has turned lighter, looks rather more like a Titanium grey with age, but totally clean.

I got the idea from when I worked for a man who owned a car collection...all the Italian cars he had ( Bizzarinis, a Maseratti, and Lamborghinis ) all had black painted, or coated, exhaust systems.

Go with dual Flowmaster 40s but make sure you get an H or X pipe in there or the drone at high speeds with give you a headache.

-KR

To cure that "drone", could you use a resonator before the muffler? Have have a 393w on my '68 with mid length headers and Magnaflow's. It's loud but no drone (just a lot of motor). But I wondered if a set of magnaflow glasspacks (where a cat converter would be) would help..

Back