What other hobbies do you have?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to shoot but, rarely do. I sometimes refinish furniture. It is not a hobby but, I spend a lot of time maintaining and repairing things at my house and the houses of my sons. Grounds maintenance takes up more of my time than I'd like. Chuck

Well, not too much these days. My car has nothing that needs to be done other than I'm still working on and developing the water shields for the Hella LED headlight conversion. I'm currently finishing building a new vacuum former, which is nearing completion.
In summer, I love to ride my road bike, as in bicycle!! and I go to the gym 3 times a week. I said "go to", not work out. By that I mean I do work out but nowhere near what I used to do. I just want to stay in shape and keep my muscle strength up. At 75, the "scenery" is more my motivation!
There is lots I used to do, but that's all in the rear-view mirror now, Scuba diving being the biggest hobby.
Just waking up in the morning is a big plus. Far too many of my friends did not.

Ski racing in winter, mountain biking, surfing and kayaking in summer. I also just started restoring vintage computers, which is forcing me to actually learn how electricity works, which has always been my weak spot with cars.

Most of the things I like to do involve burning dead dinosaurs. I have the carbon foot-print of a small African nation.

Besides cars on the street and track, I fly a Citation CJ2+ jet, a helicopter and an old antique J3 Cub. In the winter I operate a trawler in remote parts of the Bahamas for several months.

I am into forestry and also tend to a productive fruit orchard.

Computers and especially network gear are particularly interesting to me and I have a small home lab where I play around with the equipment and write a little code.

In my thirties before my penchant for French fries and cheeseburgers got the best of me I was into Ironman distance triathlons and distance road bike races.

Life is way too short for everything I am interested in. I start most days with a list of stuff I want to do and/or read up on, and end most days falling asleep frustrated that I did not get to everything I wanted to do.

Hmmmm besides cigars, whiskey, women and winning? :cool:

Seriously, I just retired, after 40 years of service jobs. Most of my time revolves around family, with my wife, our 2 grown kids and our 3 grandchildren.

The new mustang gets some attention but won’t be a huge priority until the spring.

And if I was 100% honest I do have a real problem with electric AND acoustic guitars, old tube amps and Glocks.

So there’s that….

Sixties vintage drag boats, WWII aircraft, ( my Dad sold Pratt and Whitney radial engines) , old hot rods , 50s doo-wop/ 60s rock 'n roll , and I still build model kits,.......by my background I come by it all naturally. I'm pretty much into most older things. The Mach 1 is not so much a hobby, as It's more of "my buddy" after 32 loyal years of service driving it.

Attachments

• aircraft mechanic.jpg
    aircraft mechanic.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Nitro revival.jpg
    Nitro revival.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20160113_174900.jpg
    20160113_174900.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Spike ,at speed on PCH.jpg
    Spike ,at speed on PCH.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Spike takes Itchy's highboy for spin.jpg
    Spike takes Itchy's highboy for spin.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1422352_409265935932826_7483376926195345259_n (2).jpg
    1422352_409265935932826_7483376926195345259_n (2).jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I used to do model building - then got into life-size models (cars). I will still occasionally grab a model kit and work on it though. For a long time I was into working out and basketball, but too lazy now. I do still hit the gym, but not as intensely as in the past. The last year or two, I decided to take up writing - old-school pulp novel stuff like Edgar Rice Burroughs or H. Rider Haggard... one book published, a second in the works.

Woodworking, carving and lathe work, I can’t cut a straight line! Also build some model cars now and then, like mountain hikes and views…have a 71 bow rider boat that’s been in the family since new, garage kept. Seriously thinking about a tow hitch for the Mustang…😁

Lynda and I both like to shoot. We also enjoy having a household with several dogs. Over the years we have had 3 Siberian Huskies. Over the past 24 years together we have had 7 Huskies. Currently we have 2 Huskies and a Golden Doodle. We have also been fostering young, homeless puppies, in order to socialize them with humans and other dogs, in addition to providing early training so they have a really good chance at doing well with their permanent Forever Homes once adopted.

I also like to write, whether it be in response to requests for technical expertise with respect to diagnostic or repair related matter for Vintage Mustangs, writing to a friend, just or me chronicling the past many years of my life. And, I like to tinker on new projects once in a while, usually for things that make life easier for me.

One recent project that I just wrapped up is my assembling a mixture of WiFi WebCams, LED light strips, and WiFi enabled Smart Sockets assembled and deployed so I can gather utility meter readings from the darkness in our basements, or outdoor mounted meters (we have several houses I gather the meter reading for once a month). I made my approach in blending these technologies available to Facebook users, and now in this thread. Below is a YouTube video link showing how I put together this blended set of technologies in order to come up with the solutions I wanted so I could read (and record via photos) the meter readings at several houses remotely. I then submit the meter readings to our utility companies. In the YouTube video description I also provide a link to a Google drive location that has a PDF file covering this subject also.

The Google Drive PDF file mentioned above can be reached at this link:

I have seen some projects that go a step further, where the WebCams are reading the meter images 24 x 7, and when there is a "significant change" an app fill send the new image(s) to a target recipient. Further still, some of these apps will analyze the meter dial/display image(s), then convert the readings into numeric values, which will then be transmitted to the target recipient. My approach is not as sophisticated as those more esoteric solutions. They seem to be a bit over the top for my needs.

Last edited:
On the car side, my other interest is Buick RIvieras....coincidently, the 71-73 versions (AKA, boattails).

Other than that, vintage military firearms with a concentration on the UK and US. Basically anything from WWI through early Vietnam era. Put another way, anything WITHOUT plastic.

I grew up spending most of my time outdoors and tinkering with things. In my teens and 20's I lived for racing, fishing and hunting. I also got into flying line control planes, rc modeling and became a certified scuba diver at 16. I took up woodworking also. In my 30's I still loved to fish and hunt, but the team that I was racing with broke up and so I decided to step out of it for a while. As a replacement I got hooked on trap shooting and golf. In my 40's and 50's a lot of things took a back seat to my job, but racing did come back into my life with my oldest son started running his 89 Fox body in the quick shift class. I still did a little fishing and played golf but hunting, trap shooting, and most other activities went to the wayside. In my 60's I was still active in racing and golf, but hardly anything else. It was in my late 60's when my brother was passing that he gave me his 71 sportroof and I began to restore it and join this site. Now at 72, I still tinker with a little wood working, reloading and shooting and go fishing once in a while. I would like to do more things, but my body doesn't. lol.

Retired at 59. February will be 8 years and it seems I work harder than ever. I do the car thing and ride the Harley. Both have been intermittent these past couple of years due to dealing with two hurricanes. We decided to move closer back to home and have been developing some property in the north part of the state. So far we have completed the 60x72 shop. Got to get away from this coast. But I do shift back to FUN stuff every now and then. Pulled the drivetrain out of the B2 and disassembled the engine a couple of weeks ago. Waiting for the speed shop in San Antonio to give me the thumbs-up and then I’ll burn some of that expensive diesel!

My gf likes to think that HER house is MY hobby ;-)

Our cat thinks he is my hobby.

My folks think that fixing their IT problems are my hobby.

The government seems to think that paying taxes is my hobby, too.

In the little free time I have that is not spent on restoring my mustang, I sometimes play RISK online and recently have installed a language-learning app called DuoLingo that I use to improve my German and I've started learning Italian.

Ciao!

Back