what plug wires You got and why ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boilermaster

Reaction score
My Car
71 fastback
Ok folks,
The time has come for new spark plug wires.
408 C with MSD distributor (male tower cap)
I am looking for a quality wire set that FITS WELL, none of that 2 wires too short, some that fit ok and some that are a foot too long.
I prefer the over the over the rocker cover, but would also consider around the rocker cover type.
I do not have a high quality crimper and would rather not build my own unless that is the last resort.
Please start throwing some part numbers at me
Boilermaster

I usually build my own, Taylor wires, because I want them to fit the way I want them to fit. I have used Pertronix pre-mades without any problems. Figuring out shortest to longest can be a problem if you are starting from zero. I have it written down somewhere, I'll try to find it and post it if I do. Chuck

I have aways found that you are better making your own. It eliminates all of the above that you mentioned. It's well worth the time it takes to make them. A descent crimper doesn't cost that much. As far as brands I have used a variety over the years but seem to drift back to Taylor Cable and Davis Unified Ignitions. They both have a great selection of wires.

I built my own from Summit:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-860826These are the type (spiral wound) and color I wanted, as well as making up my own to fit like I wanted. They also came with both male and female distributor connectors and boots, easy to change to DuraSpark HEI cap, if I change to the large cap when I install DuraSpark.

Thanks guys much appreciated, next question, were your end terminals single or dual crimp ?.
Seems to me the dual crimp would/could be a little stronger.
I see that all of the Taylor cut to fit stuff have good reviews on summit.
Don, already had Summit 860826 on my short list.
Boilermaster

I used the red MSD 8.5mm cut to fit set and I also have a distributor cap with male terminals. Terminal crimpers are worth the investment. It is the only way to go to have nice neat wires.

Ron

IMO, msd , Taylor, Moroso, accel, all offer quality wires. I chose moroso because they looked good. I always choose cut to fit. Pre cut wires always seem to have some that are too long.
Wire sets are priced from cheap to expensive. Differences being wire resistance, type of conductor, quality of shielding and terminals.

Attachments

• A1029451-A482-4FD6-B12D-99D433B3A672.jpeg
    A1029451-A482-4FD6-B12D-99D433B3A672.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
IMO, msd , Taylor, Moroso, accel, all offer quality wires. I chose moroso because they looked good. I always choose cut to fit. Pre cut wires always seem to have some that are too long.
Wire sets are priced from cheap to expensive. Differences being wire resistance, type of conductor, quality of shielding and terminals.
Man, I that is a clean b-block install! I have same valve covers, unsure if I should powdercoat black and paint lettering red or re polish. Did you make your own tower braces?

I used bulk Moroso Ultra 40 wire and parts to build my own for an over the cover installation, as I'll be using B351 covers with factory clips. I might redo the wires with the #1 terminal moved one place CCW for a cleaner installation.

351C_PLUGWIRES.jpg

Taylor just got bought out by Pertronix, I assume because they wanted to make their own wires instead of having them private labelled.

MSD is owned by Holley, so expect them to be sent overseas for production.

Back