what to adjust after headers?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
My Car
73 mustang Grande, 63000 miles restored interior and exterior new suspension, NASA hood, 4bl edelbrock carb and performer intake, new dual exhaust, undercoated
So I have a 251 2v with 4 bl carb and manifold I just installed my 2v headers and when I went to start it up I'd died almost immediately did it a couple more times same result. I didn't hook up my exhaust yet would that do it? Do I have to adjust my timing? Adjust my carb? I have no clue please help. Thank you in advance Justin.

Maybe 1-2 seconds max and when i tried it again fuel shot out of the carb. I only took off three spark plugs on the drivers side pretty sure those are right looked at the book.

When you say immediately. Do you mean as soon as you finish starting it and letting the key go? Or how many seconds?

If you have a meter? I'd check primary coil voltage. Just make sure the power supply is there. 12 volts on starting then drops to 9 or so when in run position.

Or you swapped plug wires around...

My guess is out of sequence plug wires or massive vacuum leak, (i.e. something is disconnected like the PCV or brake booster.

KR

This just happened to me and it ended up being the low voltage side of the coil, the 12 volts would start it, but when the voltage tried to drop it would die. I replaced the coil and it runs fine now.! Might be your issue.

Another vote for spark plugs.

If it was running fine before you put the headers on it should start and run fine after. As stated above, it might run a little lean now but that won't cause the problem you are describing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Headers act like a timing retard due to heat loss in the clyinder heads. Usually you need to bump timing 2 degrees however that is when the engine is warmed up and running.

The problems you have appear to be with the ignition wiring as others have spoken about.

Double check all your ignition wires make sure everything is seated fully and the firing order is correct, and the plug are connected right?

A vacuum leak is possible did you make sure you plugged all the hoses back in?

Thanks guys for all the help I ended up changing out all of my spark plugs because I found one with a small crack and connected my exhaust and she started right up and stayed running. I will try her out next weekend have a couple things to button up. Thanks again

Respectfully

Justin

Back