What to do with rear sway bar bolts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
I need ideas. I am in the process of installing a panhard bar. I will be welding the panhard bar bracket to the rear rail right where the bolts from the sway bar are. Both bolts for the sway bar are attached to a plate inside the frame rail that I can't access. Maybe my sway bar is not stock because the head of the bolts are on the inside of the rail and they don't rotate. I am looking for ideas on what to do with it besides cutting them up. Even if I cut them, the plate will stay inside the frame rail. I guess I could weld the tip of the bolt to the frame rail hole but if I do this I won't be able to reuse them if I ever needed to. Maybe the frame rail has a big enough access hole somewhere that I have not found but if that's the case how can I get the two bolts back up to the hole. Hopefully my description makes sense and someone has a "non-destructive" idea.

I need ideas. I am in the process of installing a panhard bar. I will be welding the panhard bar bracket to the rear rail right where the bolts from the sway bar are. Both bolts for the sway bar are attached to a plate inside the frame rail that I can't access. Maybe my sway bar is not stock because the head of the bolts are on the inside of the rail and they don't rotate. I am looking for ideas on what to do with it besides cutting them up. Even if I cut them, the plate will stay inside the frame rail. I guess I could weld the tip of the bolt to the frame rail hole but if I do this I won't be able to reuse them if I ever needed to. Maybe the frame rail has a big enough access hole somewhere that I have not found but if that's the case how can I get the two bolts back up to the hole. Hopefully my description makes sense and someone has a "non-destructive" idea.
The 2 solutions I can come up with would be to use a flat top u - bolt or a rivet nut. I am using the u- bolt kit that I got from Addco for my sway bar. Simple enough to install and works as well as any other method. Rivet nuts work great too if installed properly. I have use them on various projects over the years and haven't had any issue wtih them.

The 2 solutions I can come up with would be to use a flat top u - bolt or a rivet nut. I am using the u- bolt kit that I got from Addco for my sway bar. Simple enough to install and works as well as any other method. Rivet nuts work great too if installed properly. I have use them on various projects over the years and haven't had any issue wtih them.
My issue is that I have to remove the bolt and the plate that are inside the frame rail to install the panhard. The panhard would be welded to the frame. If I cut the bolt, then the plate will stay loose inside the frame so I need to find a way to get it out or tack it in place.

Here is a pictur. These two bolts are held together by a plate inside the rail. If i cut the bolts then the plate will stay loose inside the rail, which is not a good idea.
View attachment 74057
After seeing your picture are for sure that's not a flat top u-bolt. Have you tried knocking them up to see if it is. I would give one of them a few good taps to see. If its not, then I would do as Sheriff mentioned and tack weld the bolts at the frame and then cut them flush. Then as I mentioned, if you want to reuse that location you could use one of the methods I mention or whatever way you figure out might be better.

Last edited:
After seeing your picture are for sure that's not a flat top u-bolt. Have you tried knocking them up to see if it is. I would give one of them a few good taps to see. If its not, then I would do as Sheriff mentioned and tack weld the bolts at the frame and then cut them flush. Then as I mentioned, if you want to reuse that location you could use one of the methods I mention or whatever way you figure out might be better.
You are right, it could be a flat u-bolt, but I still will have the same issue if i cut the bolts unless i could fit the flat top out through the hole. I need to investigate that. Another way could be to fish it out through the hole by the front leaf bolt.

Well. I feel dumb. After reading @Hemikiller post i went to the garage and in 2 minutes i had them out. The other night I was so afraid of loosing the brackets inside the rail that i didnt venture. As they say that there is no dumb question. This one was, but again it saved me from doing many other stupid things. Thanks you.

Back