What was your actual build date vs scheduled date?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ORDER RECEIVED: 11/17/70

CAR SERIALIZED: 11/17/70

BUCKED: 11/25/70

SCHEDULED FOR BUILD: 11/30/70

ACTUALLY BUILT: 12/03/70

RELEASED: 12/04/70

SOLD: 06/27/72

Mine was bucked December 6th 1971, scheduled for built December 8th and actually built December 7th, one day ahead of schedule. Released December 8th.

Nothing spectacular there.

What surprised me however was the fact that it took so long in between the order and the build date.

It was ordered in February 1971 so it took 10 months for it to be built.

Add the export to it and it wasn't registered as a new car here in Luxembourg until a year after the order was placed.

That's a looooong wait for a new car.
There's something wrong here with the dates.  An order in February, 1971 would be for a 1971 Mustang.  Production stopped in early August of that year, so a car that was bucked and built in December of 1971 would be a 1972 Mustang.  Ford undoubtedly would have cancelled the 1971 order if it couldn't fulfill it (unlikely) and replaced the order with a 1972.  More likely, the database that Kevin Marti is corrupted for this car. 

So is it a 71 or 1 72 Mustang?
It is a 72.

What? Sold a year and a half after its build date... how did that happen? I'm really curious!

Last edited by a moderator:

What? Sold a year and a half after its build date... how did that happen? I'm really curious!
I wondered the same thing, too!

Most likely a lease or used by a Ford employee until they turned it in.

Most likely a lease or used by a Ford employee until they turned it in.
From what I understood marketing cars, employee cars were owned by Ford and were "sold" to another company division, such as Ford Marketing or Ford leasing, and therefore typically had the same, or almost the same release and sold dates. Since they were inter-company transfers it was just a matter of paperwork.

But I suppose anything is possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
ORDER RECEIVED:                03/10/71

CAR SERIALIZED:                   03/10/71

BUCKED:                                03/16/71

SCHEDULED FOR BUILD:     03/22/71

ACTUALLY BUILT:                  03/19/71

RELEASED:                              03/22/71

SOLD:                                       04/02/71

On the sold date question. The car is not sold until it is titled in outside of Ford or the dealer. There was a Boss 429 that Jackey Jones Ford had for probably 20 years before he sold to Perkins in Wisconsin. The Ford dealer in Greenville, S.C. I believe still has a 1973 Mustang convertible that has never been titled and sits in the showroom at times. They have a warehouse full of cars that are NOS.

Jones Ford has I think 3 of the Newer Cobra Jet Mustang Factory built racers in his warehouse.

So the car could have been used by the dealer with dealer tags for any length of time they desire before selling.

In Columbia, S.C. there is a 1927 Model T Ford that has never been on the road. When a person in S.C. heard that Ford was ending production of the Model T they bought a quantity, forget how many. They loved the Model T and did not want to go to the new Model A. They used them one by one and that one never got driven. It is in the museum of industry I think it is called or was there back in the 80's.

Our local dealers wife has a Shelby GT-500 vert she drives for company car and has for couple years with dealer tag so it is still new.

Pretty common thing to happen.

David

David is correct on when Ford considers a car sold. When the dealer sells a new vehicle the Manufacturer Statement of Origin along with license plate application info is sent to the local highway dept where the title is then issued. Date when car is reported sold to Ford is also the official warranty start date.

Dealer tag was meant to be used for showing new vehicles and for sales personal to drive between home and dealership. But...anyone that has worked in a dealership knows that is not quite how it works.

Can't mention names, but I know of a dealer that acquired a new Lincoln Town Car in 1972 for personal use. Ran dealer plates on it until he passed away in 2005. When later sold by his son it was sold as a new car since it had never been titled.

David is correct on when Ford considers a car sold. When the dealer sells a new vehicle the Manufacturer Statement of Origin along with license plate application info is sent to the local highway dept where the title is then issued. Date when car is reported sold to Ford is also the official warranty start date.

Dealer tag was meant to be used for showing new vehicles and for sales personal to drive between home and dealership. But...anyone that has worked in a dealership knows that is not quite how it works.

Can't mention names, but I know of a dealer that acquired a new Lincoln Town Car in 1972 for personal use. Ran dealer plates on it until he passed away in 2005. When later sold by his son it was sold as a new car since it had never been titled.
Steve and David,

Reading both your post here, Ford had company cars for its own use as well. Ford sold (and I presume titled) these cars to itself and also prep'd them since they were not sold thru dealerships. 

I am guessing then, that Ford handled the paperwork and sent the Manufacturer Statement of Origin along with license plate application info to the local highway dept where the title was then issued to Ford, or the Ford employee the car was given to?  

This would explain how an original Ford invoice for a company/marketing car could have the same release and sold date.

Thanks

To add some more to this discussion. I was at the National Mustang Day events held in Charlotte and based at the Carpenters Mfg. and warehouse that will also have the new MOM Mustang Owner's Museum. Also had track day Friday at the speedway was a blast.

Daniel Carpenter was in college when the Fox body cars started to gain some HP again so he associates with them. His dad Dennis had anything Ford from the 20's into the 60's.

So Daniel Carpenter placed an ad in the Hemmings Motor News looking for very low mileage Fox body Mustangs. He got lots of replies from Ford dealers that had stuck them back and many in his collection have never been dealer prepped, plastic on seats stickers on windows and such. Some have single digit mileage on them and never driven. He had 20th. Anniversary car with T-tops, several SVO's and some GT's. I will post some pictures when I can get them off my camera. So he has a room full of cars that sat at the dealership for many years before ever being sold. If ever in Charlotte be sure to go by his place you can visit the museum of the Carpenters for free. When the MOM museum opens it will be free to members but charge general public to view.

David

Back