What was your actual build date vs scheduled date?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLE PONY

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Conv.
01 Mustang Bullitt (my son owns now)
04 Oxford White Mach 1
04 Azure Blue Mach 1 (sold)
My 73 converts 45th birthday is coming up. The build sheets indicate 05 April (73) (in blocks 39, 40, & 41) which corresponds to the "Scheduled for Build Date" on my Marti Report. The "Bucked" date on the Marti is 4/06/73. The "Actually Built" date is 4/09/73. So the build was delayed by 4 days from the scheduled date.

So I guess my cars birthday is April 9th. That was a Monday in 1973. 

Post up you stats so we can see who has the longest delay on their build. 

Marti Report 73 Mustang.pdf

Attachments

• Marti Report 73 Mustang.pdf
    90.3 KB · Views: 3
Mine was bucked December 6th 1971, scheduled for built December 8th and actually built December 7th, one day ahead of schedule. Released December 8th.

Nothing spectacular there.

What surprised me however was the fact that it took so long in between the order and the build date.

It was ordered in February 1971 so it took 10 months for it to be built.

Add the export to it and it wasn't registered as a new car here in Luxembourg until a year after the order was placed.

That's a looooong wait for a new car.

Money Pit #1 (Pewter Mach1) Scheduled for build 7/28/71  Actually Built 7/28/71 on time

Money Pit #2 (Red Mach 1)      Scheduled for build 9/22/70  Actually Built 9/21/70 one day ahead of schedule

My Grande was scheduled for build July 6, 1973 and, yes, actually build July 6th, 1973! So I guess I ain't gonna win this "longest delay" contest ;-)

Very interesting! Perhaps we should also have a "contest" for earliest actual build date. I won't be a winner there either, but just a thought.

My car stats are; ordered and serialized on 2/12/71, bucked on 2/17/71, scheduled for build, 2/24/71, actual build date, 2/22/71, 2 days ahead of schedule.

So there!

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 1973 copper car was scheduled to be built on 6-1-73; bucked on 6-6-73  and actually built on 6-8-73. Released and sold on 6-11-73 to the Ford Marketing Division.

And my 1973 Gold Glow was scheduled to be built on 9-7-72; bucked on 9-13-72  and actually built on 9-12-72. Released on 9-16-72 and sold on 9-28-72 to Lucas Ford in Burlington, NJ

Last edited by a moderator:
My Boss was ordered 8/01/1970 (Pretty early)

Bucked first day 11/06/70

Built on 11/13/70

FINISHED 11/17/70

These dates are all important when assembling with date coded parts - as internal engine wouldn't be the item to hold up build

OK I am throwing my dates into the ring to win the consolation prize for the earliest ahead of schedule.

Bucked: 12/23/71

Actual Build: 01/05/72

Scheduled Build: 01/10/72

Released: 01/07/72

Built 5 days ahead of schedule. I guess the New Years celebrations to ring in 1972 were short lived.

Here is info on the Special Order Paint black 73 Vert.

Ordered 3/29/73

Serialized 4/9/73

Bucked 4/30/73

Scheduled For Build 5/1/73

Actually Built 5/1/73

Released 5/4/73

Sold 5/7/73

So they hit the schedule date on that one.

Since the car was built in Dearborn and sold in Detroit it did not have to be on the truck long.

This car only had 7 options including the Special Paint so they would not have to wait for items to come in.

When I ordered my 73 Mach 1 the factory called the dealer and wanted to switch the order to an automatic instead of 4 speed because they had no 4 speeds. I told them no way. I do not have all the info on that car. No Marti since I ordered and have order, window stickers and sales receipt.

I ordered the car on 3/30/73.

The door sticker say 5/73 with no specific date.

I took delivery the day it arrived at the dealer on 5/24/73.

So it took almost two months from the order till delivery for mine. Partially due to waiting for the 4 speed.

David

Very interesting! Perhaps we should also have a "contest" for earliest actual build date. I won't be a winner there either, but just a thought.

My car stats are; ordered and serialized on 2/12/71, bucked on 2/17/71, scheduled for build, 2/24/71, actual build date, 2/22/71, 2 days ahead of schedule.

So there!

Geoff.
That's interesting. So our cars were ordered within a few days from each other but yours was built immediately while it took about ten months before production on mine started.

That raises the question why and what decided on when production was gonna start.

I can't imagine it'd be the fact that it was an export model as it was a standard offer and it consisted only of a few details.

Weird.

Add on: I see most cars here were built withing a few weeks after they were ordered.

Why the ten month gap on mine?

There's gotta be a reason.

(Maybe they couldn't find Luxembourg on the map and didn't wanna start building a car before they figured out where to ship it to? :D )

Add on: I see most cars here were built withing a few weeks after they were ordered.

Why the ten month gap on mine?

There's gotta be a reason.

(Maybe they couldn't find Luxembourg on the map and didn't wanna start building a car before they figured out where to ship it to? :D )
Too funny!

Maybe the delay was for local differences that need to be changed on export cars like lighting, turn signals. Can't think of too much else though, the steering wheel is already on the wrong side!! ( for me anyway being a ex-pat Brit)

Mine was bucked December 6th 1971, scheduled for built December 8th and actually built December 7th, one day ahead of schedule. Released December 8th.

Nothing spectacular there.

What surprised me however was the fact that it took so long in between the order and the build date.

It was ordered in February 1971 so it took 10 months for it to be built.

Add the export to it and it wasn't registered as a new car here in Luxembourg until a year after the order was placed.

That's a looooong wait for a new car.
There's something wrong here with the dates.  An order in February, 1971 would be for a 1971 Mustang.  Production stopped in early August of that year, so a car that was bucked and built in December of 1971 would be a 1972 Mustang.  Ford undoubtedly would have cancelled the 1971 order if it couldn't fulfill it (unlikely) and replaced the order with a 1972.  More likely, the database that Kevin Marti is corrupted for this car. 

So is it a 71 or 1 72 Mustang?

My Light Pewter (J-code, automatic) Mach 1:

ORDER RECEIVED: 07/24/70

CAR SERIALIZED: 08/13/70

BUCKED: 09/02/70

SCHEDULED FOR BUILD: 08/31/70

ACTUALLY BUILT: 09/03/70

RELEASED: 09/03/70

SOLD: 09/30/70

Mine was an early build for the '71 model year, 3 days behind schedule according to Mr. Marti.

Back