What's in a Mach 1?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crzyfun

Reaction score
My Car
a '72 mach 1 convertible
Hello all!

I'm new here... (see my original thread: https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-new-to-forum-and-mustangs )

I just bought this '72 ride and learned that Ford didn't make a '72 Mach 1 convertible. Ok, fair enough... clearly this car has had some mods done. So I'm _assuming_ the previous owner that did some of the modifications added the Mach 1 decals. I'm also assuming that they didn't _just_ add the decals, that it has the Mach 1 features added...

But I don't know what all those features are.

Could someone educate me on what exactly the Mach 1 package included?

I'd like to know so I can evaluate what was (or was not) done on this car with regards to it being a Mach 1.

Thanks so much!

-Dan ::thumb::

That's a bit of a subjective question, but there are a couple of basic answers to go with it.

First, a Mach 1 is a trim level option (essentially), even though Ford gave the Mach 1 a body style designation of its own.  The 3rd & 4th digits of the VIN designate body style, with "02" being a "Sportsroof," and "05" being "Mach 1."  The digits "03" in your VIN designate "Convertible."  The body style designation on the door sticker is also unique to the Mach 1, as it is to the Sportsroof and Convertible models as well.  Mach 1 = "63F," whereas the Sportsroof = "63D."  Your convertible will have "76D" on the door sticker.

The body style designation is the big difference between the models.  The rest is all about the trim level features.  For instance, any of the options could be ordered with any of the cars, although you wouldn't be able to order the Mach 1 decal package with anything other than a Mach 1 body style (from the factory).  Deluxe Interior, TuTone body paint, Ram Air, etc., could be had with pretty much any car as ordered.

Some of the features that came specifically as part of the Mach 1 package:

- Urethane front bumper

- Mach 1 decals

- Sport Grille and taillight panel honeycomb trim

- Pop-open racing style gas cap

- Dual Racing style mirrors

- Clock (somewhere in the car, whether the instrument cluster clock or in the center console)

- Space saver spare tire

- Carpet with vinyl insert on the driver side

(help me out guys, if I missed something)

But that's pretty much it.  It doesn't matter which engine, transmission, wheels, color, or otherwise was ordered with the car.  It could be as basic or loaded as the person who ordered it wants.

Not trying to nit-pick, but your car is the victim of someone who had it in their mind that all '71-'73s were Mach 1s, regardless of body style - because the Mach 1s were so popular back then, everybody who didn't know much about Mustangs automatically assumed that all of the '71-'73s were Mach 1s.

Your car is showing the signs of a not-so-well informed restoration, possible suffering the, "lets throw everything available at it to make it appear cooler than just being a Mustang Convertible," which is cool enough as it is.  The out-of-place things I can spot in your first picture being:

- Mach 1 decals (not supposed to be on a 'vert - and not paired with the bright Mustang script letters, either)

- Poorly done TuTone hood paint and Ram Air decals on a non-Ram Air hood (missing the hood locks and probably the Ram Air itself)

- Hockey Stripes with rocker molding (it was one or the other from the factory)

Again, not trying to nit-pick your car in the least - it looks like a nice and fun car.  We have a some members here with Mach 1 Convertibles, and it's all good. ;) 

My opinion is that considering the Mach 1s being pretty much just a trim level, there should've been Mach 1 'verts.

Hope that helps!

That's a bit of a subjective question, but there are a couple of basic answers to go with it.

First, a Mach 1 is a trim level option (essentially), even though Ford gave the Mach 1 a body style designation of its own.  The 3rd & 4th digits of the VIN designate body style, with "02" being a "Sportsroof," and "05" being "Mach 1."  The digits "03" in your VIN designate "Convertible."  The body style designation on the door sticker is also unique to the Mach 1, as it is to the Sportsroof and Convertible models as well.  Mach 1 = "63F," whereas the Sportsroof = "63D."  Your convertible will have "76D" on the door sticker.

The body style designation is the big difference between the models.  The rest is all about the trim level features.  For instance, any of the options could be ordered with any of the cars, although you wouldn't be able to order the Mach 1 decal package with anything other than a Mach 1 body style (from the factory).  Deluxe Interior, TuTone body paint, Ram Air, etc., could be had with pretty much any car as ordered.

Some of the features that came specifically as part of the Mach 1 package:

- Urethane front bumper

- Mach 1 decals

- Clock (somewhere in the car, whether the instrument cluster clock or in the center console)

- Space saver spare tire

- Carpet with vinyl insert on the driver side

(help me out guys, if I missed something)

But that's pretty much it.  It doesn't matter which engine, transmission, wheels, color, or otherwise was ordered with the car.  It could be as basic or loaded as the person who ordered it wants.

Not trying to nit-pick, but your car is the victim of someone who had it in their mind that all '71-'73s were Mach 1s, regardless of body style - because the Mach 1s were so popular back then, everybody who didn't know much about Mustangs automatically assumed that all of the '71-'73s were Mach 1s.

Your car is showing the signs of a not-so-well informed restoration, possible suffering the, "lets throw everything available at it to make it appear cooler than just being a Mustang Convertible," which is cool enough as it is.  The out-of-place things I can spot in your first picture being:

- Mach 1 decals (not supposed to be on a 'vert - and not paired with the bright Mustang script letters, either)

- Poorly done TuTone hood paint and Ram Air decals on a non-Ram Air hood (missing the hood locks and probably the Ram Air itself)

- Hockey Stripes with rocker molding (it was one or the other from the factory)

Again, not trying to nit-pick your car in the least - it looks like a nice and fun car.  We have a some members here with Mach 1 Convertibles, and it's all good. ;) 

My opinion is that considering the Mach 1s being pretty much just a trim level, there should've been Mach 1 'verts.

Hope that helps!
Thanks! That does help a ton.

It has the Urethane front bumper (it seems). It has the clock (see pic). I'm not sure about the Carpet with vinyl insert. I took a pic though. The spare tire was small but only had 4 lug-nut holes, whereas the current tires have 5. Heh. (Clearly part of the previous owner's rebuild)

Yeah, I think you are right... a previous owner did a not-so-well informed restoration. Oh well. It's still gonna be a fun rebuild/restoration!

Oh, and the Ram Air... if I understand that correctly (feel free to correct my ignorance), it's not just visual air scoops but actual air scoops that feed into the engine compartment, right? Mine seem to be plastic honeycomb pieces, so I think it's not real, right? Again, stickers without the actual changes.

It's a little annoying to find all this out, but I'm not a perfectionist and the reason to buy it is to tear it down and build it back with help from my family. So it'll still be awesome!

Or as I've been saying, it'll be Crazy... and Fun!

-Dan

20180728_140556.jpg

20180728_140534.jpg

20180721_165533.jpg

Hello Dan,

Pretty much like David and Eric has summed up. The majority of the content that made a Mach1 could be ordered in one form or another on other body styles. The only items that were unique to the Mach 1 were the Honeycomb tail light panel applique, the rear valence with the exhaust cutouts and chrome exhaust tips on the 4bl cars, the "Mach1" call out on the front fenders and deck lid and the "05" body style code. Items that were standard such as the competition suspension were available as an option along with just about anything else the option book contained.

With the 71 Spring Special Value car you could could get the Mach1 front end look that even included the urethane front bumper.

In 72 there was a Decor group option on the coupe and vert that included all the Mach1 appearance items on the front end including the urethane front bumper. There was also a "Sprint" special edition for all body styles than came in a red, white and blue color theme and also had the Mach grill and urethane front bumper.

Ford really should have built a Mach1 vert, they would have made a real nice looking car such as yours.

Eric is 99.9% correct...The Grande was the only car with a clock standard (instrument cluster mounted). The Mach1 Sport interior option included a cluster mounted clock. If a console was ordered, a "Mach1" or "Mustang" trim plate was in the location where the console clock would normally be. If the Instrumentation group was ordered then a tachometer would be in the left cluster pod and the clock would now be located in the console. (Gee...I'm out of breath)!!

The space saver tire was not a stand alone option but was included in the fold down sport seat option on sportsroof's and any Mustang that had the F60 x 15" tire option. OK, now I'm done!   :)

Dan,

See attached information sheets taken from the Ford 1971 Product Information Car Facts Organizer for Ford Salesmen.  Keep in mind that this info is for the 71 Models.  Hope this helps.

Mac

Yes Sir, you are correct... it's all about the fun.

The carpet in yours is aftermarket cut-pile, much like the ACC Cut-Pile carpet I installed in mine (which is a bit of a restomod).  The factory carpet is that old-school 'loop pile,' which I wasn't too keen on, hence the cut-pile in mine.  The carpet should also end under the door sill plate, covering the wiring channel instead of stopping short.

attachment.php

My carpet seam will look a little odd to some because I actually moved my seat platforms back a few inches when replacing the floor pans.  You also can't see the vinyl inserts because of the cut-pile Lloyd's Mats.  Sorry, I just like it a little plush, I guess. ;)

The NACA duct block-off plates (honeycomb pattern) are very cool, but yes you are correct - not part of the Ram Air package.  I think it would be cool to get a pair, open up the holes in the honeycomb and install them along with the Ram Air - probably wouldn't be enough room for both them and the plenum, but it would add a a level of 'finish' to the ducts, I think.  I guess I just really like the honeycomb as an accent - it was one of the first things I noticed about the one I fell in love with back when I was 14. 

As for the Ram Air, there would be a big U-shaped plastic 'plenum' bolted to the bottom of the hood with some vacuum actuators for the flappers, along with some hoses finding their way to another vacuum actuator on the air cleaner assembly, which also has a gasket that seals up against the bottom of the plastic plenum when the hood is closed.  Here's a shot of mine, although I don't have the Ram Air cleaner installed (yet), nor do I have the hoses run (I was in a hurry to get to this car show, and still haven't gotten it completely re-installed yet).  You could add Ram Air to your car quite easily - it's about $600 for an aftermarket kit, which OMS and most of the vendors have them available.  Just gotta make sure the intake, carb, and air cleaner height works with the hood when it's closed.

attachment.php

You'll also notice I have a chrome bumper.  Again, I was in a hurry for the car show, and my painter couldn't figure out how to paint the urethane bumper, so I ordered a chrome one for the short term.  Heck, I didn't even have wipers, seat belts, horns, registration, insurance, or much of anything in the way of functional items at that point in time - I actually trailered it to the show that time. I'm also on the fence on whether I like the chrome bumper better, but I will get the urethane bumper painted someday to complete the project.

The shape of the TuTone pattern on your hood, along with the body-color painted duct inserts is a dead giveaway for the 'uninformed restoration' comment.  There's a specific shape to it, and most painters get it wrong.  Heck, I had provided mine with the 'correct' stencil, and he'd even put it on wrong - I had to hand-stripe the mask on the drive side since he'd place the stencil too far rearward and about a half-inch off to the passenger side (as in - not centered).  Yeah, it's too far back, but at least it's centered now.  My painter also didn't do his best work, so I'm sure it'll need paint again someday... and I'll make sure the next guy gets it right. ;)

Thanks Steve for chiming in.  I'd always heard the Mach 1s were supposed to have clocks, which is why the '69-'70s had clocks standard above the glove boxes, but were an option otherwise.  Makes sense that they would be standard on the Grande's, however. Mine was a instrument cluster clock car as well, and was missing the center console (short or long, not sure).

I think you'll find all the info you'll need to get your car where you want it, Dan.  This is a great site - chocked full of information, advice, and encouragement.  I couldn't have gotten mine back together with it (it was a bit of a mess, let's just say - pics and info are in my "Garage," if you're ever that bored).

Adding to Mister 4X4's post...

Standard features of the '71 Mach 1:

- sportsroof body style with unique "05" VIN code & "63R" body code on door tag

- Color keyed Urethane front bumper & front fender and hood trim

- Honeycomb grille in black w/sportlamps

- Argent or black Mach 1 decals on fenders

- Argent or black stripe and "MACH 1" on the trunklid

- Argent or black lower body accent paint

- bright trim at lower body paint line

- E70-14 white sidewall tires w/ hub caps & trim rings on 7" wide rims

- color keyed dual racing mirror w/driver side remote

- Honeycomb tail lightpanel applique with bright trim

- Unique pop open gas cap

- 302-2V engine w/3 spd manual

- competition suspension (HD springs & shocks), variable quick-ratio steering box if ordered with P/S

- standard Mustang base interior

- NASA hood was a no-cost OPTION for the base engine

That's it, nothing else was standard. No clock, no scooped hood, no spoilers, no cool interior - nothing. Everything else was base Musang and all other goodies were an option, or part of an option package.

Also, 4 colors were not available on Mach1 - 

- Pastel Blue

- Medium Green Metallic

- Medium Brown Metallic

- Light Gold (aka appliance almond)

My 71 Mach was about as base as you will find, 302-2v - options were auto, p/s, pdb and an AM radio.

I have a 71 mach1, I have done a bunch of research with my main source being the original sales brochure. I have not found anywhere in that brochure that shows any car except the Boss 351 that has those cool looking side stripes.

Why is it very many redone mustangs have those installed?

Eric, I don't want  to high jack Dan's thread, but since this is Mach1 related I hope he doesn't mind.

The consolette (Short Console) was standard in all 71-73 body styles and trim levels. In 71 the long console was a $60.00 option for cars that had a cluster mounted clock. Vehicles that had idiot lights or a tachometer in the left cluster received the console with a clock for $76.00  Try to buy all that now to build a console with a clock for the same price!! I believe the last time we checked your Marti report it mentioned "Console" in the "Equipped With The Following Features" section. So at one time your Mach1 did have a full length console with no clock. Probably didn't take the Good Ole Boys long to destroy it considering the condition of your car that was left for dead when you rescued it.    

As far as the 69-70 models....The Grande, Mach1, and Boss 429's came standard with what we would call the Deluxe interior. Those vehicles came standard with a passenger side dash mounted round clock since the interiors were considered up scale. There was a round clock option like in the Mach1's but was only available in conjunction with the Decor group option. The other option was rectangular clock available for the ones of us that could not pony up the funds for a car with the fancy round clock!!     :D

I have a 71 mach1, I have done a bunch of research with my main source being the original sales brochure. I have not found anywhere in that brochure that shows any car except the Boss 351 that has those cool looking side stripes.

It's kind of like the "Mach 1" thing - everybody thinks of "Mach 1" when talking about '71-'73s.  The hockey stripes were something cool to set apart the Boss 351s (even though they were intended to be 'sleepers,' of a sort), but they were also an option on the later models.  

I think the stripes are cool... but I'm of the opinion that not every car absolute must have them.  Mine, like Hemikiller's, is an original "no stripe" car, having the bright molding on the rockers.  My molding was junk and I originally wanted stripes, so I had it painted with the stripe division of the rockers.  Since then, I've seen SO many of the hockey stripes, I'm kind of lukewarm on them now, so I've been working on getting a new set of rocker molding together for mine.  

I'm just too chicken to drill into the new paint and sheet metal now that it's all back together to put the molding back on. rofl

Eric, I don't want  to high jack Dan's thread, but since this is Mach1 related I hope he doesn't mind.

The consolette (Short Console) was standard in all 71-73 body styles and trim levels. In 71 the long console was a $60.00 option for cars that had a cluster mounted clock. Vehicles that had idiot lights or a tachometer in the left cluster received the console with a clock for $76.00  Try to buy all that now to build a console with a clock for the same price!! I believe the last time we checked your Marti report it mentioned "Console" in the "Equipped With The Following Features" section. So at one time your Mach1 did have a full length console with no clock. Probably didn't take the Good Ole Boys long to destroy it considering the condition of your car that was left for dead when you rescued it.    

As far as the 69-70 models....The Grandé, Mach1, and Boss 429's came standard with what we would call the Deluxe interior. Those vehicles came standard with a passenger side dash mounted round clock since the interiors were considered up scale. There was a round clock option like in the Mach1's but was only available in conjunction with the Decor group option. The other option was rectangular clock available for the ones of us that could not pony up the funds for a car with the fancy round clock!!     :D
Good info - you always seem to come up with all the best stuff ::thumb:: 

Kind of sad and interesting that mine was such a well-appointed car, then systematically driven into the ground and "left for dead," as you said.  I'm glad it didn't have A/C but had a factory rear defroster though, I love the Classic Auto Air system, and since I won't be needing the defrost function in West Texas, I have a pre-punched hole for a nice Aux Driving Light switch - just gotta score a new 'LIGHTS" bezel and make it fit now. ;)

Adding to Mister 4X4's post...

Standard features of the '71 Mach 1:

- sportsroof body style with unique "05" VIN code & "63R" body code on door tag

- Color keyed Urethane front bumper & front fender and hood trim

- Honeycomb grille in black w/sportlamps

- Argent or black Mach 1 decals on fenders

- Argent or black stripe and "MACH 1" on the trunklid

- Argent or black lower body accent paint

- bright trim at lower body paint line

- E70-14 white sidewall tires w/ hub caps & trim rings on 7" wide rims

- color keyed dual racing mirror w/driver side remote

- Honeycomb tail lightpanel applique with bright trim

- Unique pop open gas cap

- 302-2V engine w/3 spd manual

- competition suspension (HD springs & shocks), variable quick-ratio steering box if ordered with P/S

- standard Mustang base interior

- NASA hood was a no-cost OPTION for the base engine

That's it, nothing else was standard. No clock, no scooped hood, no spoilers, no cool interior - nothing. Everything else was base Musang and all other goodies were an option, or part of an option package.

Also, 4 colors were not available on Mach1 - 

- Pastel Blue

- Medium Green Metallic

- Medium Brown Metallic

- Light Gold (aka appliance almond)

My 71 Mach was about as base as you will find, 302-2v - options were auto, p/s, pdb and an AM radio.

Hemikiller's car is a very rare example because few like his have stayed original or even close to it!  Nice example.

Like Eric mentioned, people like the side stripes.  Believe it or not - some even like them on Grandes.  Like rear spoilers on anything other than a Sportsroof or Mach 1, it just looks out-of-place to me. 

Ray

If you get you a copy of Mari's book "Mustang by the Numbers" it gives the production of each option on each body style. Mach 1 and Sportsroof are in same group though.

Here are the production numbers for cars with side stripes.

HT was 9,002

FB 9,773

CV O ZERO

So there were almost as many hardtops made with stripes as Fastback and Mach 1

HT 316

FB, 15,517

CV, 136

So the coupes dropped a bunch.

HT, 2,048

FB, 35,439

CV 941

So that is why you see so many with stripes lots of them had them. It will show up as an option in the Marti report unless on a Mach 1 and that was part of the package.

David

Back