Whats it called?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peche 71

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Grande, 351 Cleveland, restoration project
1973 Convertible, 302, slight restoration
On top of the fuel tank (on a 71) the unit that allows for return fuel. Is it some type of pump or unit, if so what's the correct name

so I can order one? It's not the sending unit, that's what I mis-rdered. Thanks.

It's the tank vent. The gas cap is not vented, so that is where the tank is vented. It connects to the charcoal canister under the hood.

I don't believe they are reproduced.

ok, just seems weird. cause the mechanic says its not the sending unit, which would make more sense. So it's a hose? Thanks Don C

ok, just seems weird. cause  the mechanic says its not the sending unit, which would make more sense.  So it's a hose? Thanks Don C
It's basically hollow with porous foam in it to keepraw gasoline from splashing into it. It has a hose that connects to it that runs to the charcoal canister via metal tubing.

The sending unit is part of the same assembly that the fuel line connects to on the driver's side of the tank.

http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=66

peche 71,

This particular valve was used through 73 on most of Ford's car lines (Maverick through 75). Problem is since these cars are 40+ years old, most of of the vehicles that were not Mustangs or Torino's got a trip to the crusher. I sure at the time these tank valves were of no value to anyone. The foam material already discussed was used to keep liquid fuel from entering the valve and stopping the orifice up. Since the fuel cap was not vented it was important to keep the orifice clean and open to the charcoal canister. The orifice was small and easy to stop up with fuel or debris. As others have suggested I would use some woven stainless steel (such as a pot scrubber) to make a new filter.

If searching for the valve by part number use-D1AZ-9B328-A

Last edited by a moderator:
great info, thanks to all, go have a beer!

Back