"What's it worth?" How do you respond?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'73 mustang convt.
There there two frequent responses I get to my Mustang. The first is: 'Nice Mustang', to which I normally respond 'Thanks! It's a great day for it'. <<< - Convertible with the top down.

But every once in a while I get the "What's it worth?" question. I normally tell them I have owned it for 28 years and don't really pay attention. Sometimes I tell them 'Less than you think, these cars are not as popular as the earlier ones'.

What do you guys say?

There there two frequent responses I get to my Mustang. The first is: 'Nice Mustang', to which I normally respond 'Thanks! It's a great day for it'. <<< - Convertible with the top down.

But every once in a while I get the "What's it worth?" question. I normally tell them I have owned it for 28 years and don't really pay attention. Sometimes I tell them 'Less than you think, these cars are not as popular as the earlier ones'.

What do you guys say?
The Barrett-Jackson answer is "whatever someone is willing to pay"

I just tell them the value it all over the place, depends on how much one it willing to pay but it's worth more to me than I could ever sell it for.

I would respond "Make me an offer" and take the conversation from there. You never know!
LOL. Yeah, I do know. It would take a lot of green for me to sign over the blood, sweat and tears I have spent on this chunk of iron. ;)

My impression of most folks who ask "What's it worth?" don't have what it's worth. ;)

I know it's a question I almost never ask other folks..

Last edited by a moderator:
I was once in a small store where I know the shopkeeper and a guy cam in and yelled out who owns that old Mustang. the owner rreplied that I did.

The guy then sadi he needed to buy it all I had to do was name my price. I told him $50k at whihc point he aid that was too much and I would probably never sell it for that much. Then he left.

I have never actively being trying to sell it bbut for $50k I would.

I have been asked that many times, and I have always said, " I have a price in mind, but what is it worth to you? make me an offer."

and so far no one has offered me what I think it worth :D .there is to many Zeros there in my number :D

My answer is "it's not for sale". You cannot make a reasonable offer that would suit you and satisfy me and I have way too much time and money invested to get rid of my car. Besides I like it and my wife would kill me. But I appreciate your interest.

I have a fair idea of what it's 'worth,' but I also know what I have into it - and I believe I would lose out on the deal (even as it it sits right now) if I sold it for what it's 'worth.'

Having said that, I will be saying something like, "If you hafta ask... you probably can't afford it."

I ask, what would you rather have, my car or a bring new GT500? They always respond they would prefer to have my car. At which point I ask, would you rather have 2 GT500's or my car. Still, they prefer my car.

I then say good!!! You value my car greater than 2 brand new GT500's. But I do not. Go get two brand new GT500's, 1 Black, 1 Red, and park them over there and we can exchange pink slips.

I have a fair idea of what it's 'worth,' but I also know what I have into it - and I believe I would lose out on the deal (even as it it sits right now) if I sold it for what it's 'worth.'

Having said that, I will be saying something like, "If you hafta ask... you probably can't afford it."
I believe the going labor rate for restorers is $65-$75/hr (unless your Q). After you do that math it's not hard to see that we're not in it for the money from a selling standpoint.

Hi,

I've got nothing new to add to what's already been said, except iv'e blown around about $45,000 to $50,000 Australian total so far in purchase/expenses/labor/materials, and i know that if i would try to sell my '73 Vert now, i wouldn't get that return.

Who cares anyway, i'm not selling, and you only live once so enjoy!

Greg:)

Hi,

I've got nothing new to add to what's already been said, except iv'e blown around about $45,000 to $50,000 Australian total so far in purchase/expenses/labor/materials, and i know that if i would try to sell my '73 Vert now, i wouldn't get that return.

I guess 73 owners are like farmers. Same all over the world!

Hi,

I guess 73 owners are like farms. Same all over the world!
You could look at it another way Mark, and say, if you really didn't love these old cars, why would you really bother owning one or many at all?

Greg.

Hi,

I guess 73 owners are like farms. Same all over the world!
You could look at it another way Mark, and say, if you really didn't love these old cars, why would you really bother owning one or many at all?

Greg.
Well said.

Haaaa I like these answers. As I've said before we had our convertible at one of the Daytona shows and I was out looking at the "meeee TOO" cars (aka late model off the show room floor Mustangs because that was all that was there). Guy ask my wife.. "what will you take for it right now"

Not for sale

everything is for sale

Wife I appreciate your interest but this one isnt

name your price

Wife thank you but I dont have a price

look I want to buy your car and there is a price your willing to sell it for ...what would you take to sell it?

Wife.... okay fine 25000!

him but its not restored its not worth that much

wife .... I said politely I do not want to sell my car so then Daddy Big Bucks your mouth is bigger than your wallet...please leave I told you its not for sale!!!

:D (her nickname is HELLCAT)

Back