"What's it worth?" How do you respond?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually say about 20-25k (cause that's what they seem to be going for more or less) and considering we originally bought the car for 3k, and put maybe 12-14k into we would make a slight profit if we actually ever wanted to sell it....but of course, we don't want to. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
What's it worth--I keep getting this question when we drive the '31 woody. I have been searching for a graceful response, still looking for a nonsensical answer to avoid the discussion altogether as it is no one's business but mine.

Today at CarsNCoffee the question was more straightforward, "want to sell it?" Which was an easy no.

Had a older fellow in a very nice Mercedes ask me at the last rod run what it would take to buy my car. I responded more than the car will ever be worth. He smiled and said I understand completely. Complimented the car and drove off.

My grandfather always said "IF YOU HAVE TO ASK, YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT"

Yup..What its worth is all in the eyes of the beholder..How much does it mean to you? mine means alot too me...My first car ever..I paid for it from my dad...then marti report says its one of one...No chance of getting the same one back if i sold her...But if some nut come up with a outragous offer of 50,000 for my ride how she sits...I would probably buckle..lol..And my dad would proably kick my ass for not doing it either...but i would run right out and buy a boss or a big block cj to help me with my decision..lol..Good thing is...Ill never have to worry about this ever happening..Cause not that many nuts will throw that kinda cash at my ride..Unless some old famous rich person use to own it back in hollywood and miss there car...like papa johns... http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2009-08-25-camaro-found_N.htm?csp=34 Now if some one popped up with a offer like that for me...sold!!..lol 250,000 for his old camaro.. {shakes head} lol

Haaaa I like these answers. As I've said before we had our convertible at one of the Daytona shows and I was out looking at the "meeee TOO" cars (aka late model off the show room floor Mustangs because that was all that was there). Guy ask my wife.. "what will you take for it right now"

Not for sale

everything is for sale

Wife I appreciate your interest but this one isnt

name your price

Wife thank you but I dont have a price

look I want to buy your car and there is a price your willing to sell it for ...what would you take to sell it?

Wife.... okay fine 25000!

him but its not restored its not worth that much

wife .... I said politely I do not want to sell my car so then Daddy Big Bucks your mouth is bigger than your wallet...please leave I told you its not for sale!!!

:D (her nickname is HELLCAT)
A big high five goes out to your wife for backing you up and standing her ground !!!:)

This type of conversation goes on all the time at shows.:mad: The casual person that walks around at shows or cruises really has no idea what it takes, not only financially, but time and labor !!:cool:

What's it worth--I keep getting this question when we drive the '31 woody. I have been searching for a graceful response, still looking for a nonsensical answer to avoid the discussion altogether as it is no one's business but mine.

Today at CarsNCoffee the question was more straightforward, "want to sell it?" Which was an easy no.

NOT 4 SALE license plate works.

I just say "As much as my kids can get for it AFTER I'M DEAD!
Oh! I like that one as a canned response.

I don't think most people are being rude when they ask. Money is one way everyone can put a 'common' value to something. I don't fret the question much, I just wanted a clever standard answer. Like my standard reply when someone complements the car I always say "Thanks! And it's a beautiful day for it" or if they have a nice car I will find something nice to say about theirs. You know, like, 'THanks, and I remember those Pinto's being uglier than that' or something like that.

I don't think most people are being rude when they ask. Money is one way everyone can put a 'common' value to something. I don't fret the question much, I just wanted a clever standard answer. Like my standard reply when someone complements the car I always say "Thanks! And it's a beautiful day for it" or if they have a nice car I will find something nice to say about theirs. You know, like, 'THanks, and I remember those Pinto's being uglier than that' or something like that.
When I had my 68 fastback I went to a local mustang meeting at sonic and this guy pulls in with a 67 camaro vert...very nice car...he walks by mine and says "decent car but I like camaros" so being the inconsiderate person I am told him "this is a mustang club, you were supposed to bring a car with class and style"...hey it shut his mouth...especially when all the mustang guys around my car busted out laughing

When I had my 68 fastback I went to a local mustang meeting at sonic and this guy pulls in with a 67 camaro vert...very nice car...he walks by mine and says "decent car but I like camaros" so being the inconsiderate person I am told him "this is a mustang club, you were supposed to bring a car with class and style"...hey it shut his mouth...especially when all the mustang guys around my car busted out laughing
LOL that's awesome. "Decent car, but I like cars that make me look like a hood from 1980's era Bed-Stuy".

"What's it worth?"

My answer is...

Depends on how much color your money has. Show me the color and then we'll talk.

I get that a lot too. My earlier responses were a little mor polite, but these days knowing what the market is supporting, I simply ask "how deep are your pockets". I've not had anyone say, "very deep" yet so I still own my Mustang.
However, we do know there ARE people out there with money to burn, re $88,000 for the mustang posted recently.

Back