What's Missing?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmagno

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
[url=https://ibb.co/H2QXT4V][img]https://i.ibb.co/sPrt9R2/20190324-145956.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://imgbb.com/]upload images[/url]
1973 Mustang Convertible. Can someone help me identify what's missing in this pic? It looks like there should be something between the bracket with the hole on the left that would attach to the shaft with the boot on the right. Thanks in advance for the help.

free number generator 1 100

Last edited by a moderator:
The lock-out rod from the transmission connects to it.

I see this is your first post. Please go to the introduction section of the forum and introduce yourself and your car. We like pictures.

The arm coming off of the steering column is where the backdrive rod attaches- this rod is the link between the shift linkage (specifically the reverse shift arm on the trans) on the transmission and the collar on the steering column that rotates ccw when you put the shifter in reverse and lets you get the key out of the ignition.

The bent link coming through the floor is the link between the clutch pedal and the clutch equalizer or Z-bar, which is missing.

My guess is your car is an original manual trans car that someone has converted to an auto...

The lock-out rod from the transmission connects to it.

I see this is your first post. Please go to the introduction section of the forum and introduce yourself and your car. We like pictures.
Thanks for the quick reply, assuming this is for a manual trans as shown below. Mine is a C4 auto and 302.

Rod used for locking the 4 speed manual transmission in "Reverse". Connects to the lower tab of the steering column and the reverse control transmission lever shift arm. Prevents the transmission from shifting out of reverse when the ignition key is removed. Rod is about 13 inches long and was originally marked with a green paint mark.

The 4 speed manual transmission, could not be ordered on the 351-2V engines. Only 351-4V's and 429CJ's in 1971, and 351CJ's (Q code) in both 1972 and 1973.

Transmission code "5" or 6"" on your door data tag.

Replaces Ford part number D1ZA-7E330-DA

The arm coming off of the steering column is where the backdrive rod attaches- this rod is the link between the shift linkage (specifically the reverse shift arm on the trans) on the transmission and the collar on the steering column that rotates ccw when you put the shifter in reverse and lets you get the key out of the ignition.

The bent link coming through the floor is the link between the clutch pedal and the clutch equalizer or Z-bar, which is missing.

My guess is your car is an original manual trans car that someone has converted to an auto...
Thanks. I was told this car was an auto originally. Can I verify by VIN or other numbers?

Thanks. I was told this car was an auto originally. Can I verify by VIN or other numbers?
Vin will verify transmission

The trans code is on the door data sticker. Looks like this:

73 Door Sticker Cap.JPG

My comments about the trans were based on the end of the clutch pedal rod being visible and what looks like witness marks around the mounting holes for the frame side Z-bar mount on the frame rail in your pic.

I found it thanks to everyone's help. I always trusted what the seller told me 14 years ago. Will this new found info have a negative impact on selling it?

76D Convertible Standard Interior Bucket Seats

3D Medium Blue Metallic

CB Medium Blue Knitted Vinyl

Trans 1 3-Speed Manual

Axle 6 3.00

DSO 75 Phoenix

I found it thanks to everyone's help. I always trusted what the seller told me 14 years ago. Will this new found info have a negative impact on selling it?

76D Convertible Standard Interior Bucket Seats

3D Medium Blue Metallic

CB Medium Blue Knitted Vinyl

Trans 1 3-Speed Manual

Axle 6 3.00

DSO 75 Phoenix
Not in my view. You have the clutch pedal and rod still present in the vehicle. If someone wanted to put the original 3 speed back in, it's not very difficult. Auto is a better match to what most people are looking for in a convertible - get in, drop the top and go for a ride.

Since this is a "base" model and not a rare collectible car I think that it may actually enhance the value. Because this is a fairly common car with the 302 most people are not going to care about spending money to make it original. They would save that for a more rare car. I myself if looking for a car to drive would much prefer an automatic and would pay more on this car regardless if original or not.

Since this is a "base" model and not a rare collectible car I think that it may actually enhance the value. Because this is a fairly common car with the 302 most people are not going to care about spending money to make it original. They would save that for a more rare car. I myself if looking for a car to drive would much prefer an automatic and would pay more on this car regardless if original or not.
Thanks Jeff.

Jeff if a car has manual in the UK its worth more than a auto. Yet its the opposite in the US. Theres nowt(nothing) stranger than people

Let's not forget back then you had to pay more money if you wanted an automatic in your Mustang, stick shift was standard. Automatics should be more money theses days, but stick shift is where the money is...strange eh?!

Let's not forget back then you had to pay more money if you wanted an automatic in your Mustang, stick shift was standard. Automatics should be more money theses days, but stick shift is where the money is...strange eh?!
Automatic is still an extra cost option in the current Mustang - $1600

I drove a 69 with a 390 once for a couple of miles. One thing I recall, is that it would want to bang your head in windshield if you'd let gas go after an acceleration without using the clutch. Really brutal engine slowdown. Are 71-73 similar in practice?

[if a car has manual in the UK its worth more than a auto. Yet its the opposite in the US]

I think its because the automatic trans we had in Europe back then were really bad and the cars became snails with them.

Drove a few month back a new Peugeot whatever with "intelligent drive automatic something"... well, I can tell its still bad, especially because it doesn't even react right away and not as you want. The electronics were making some own version of my right foot will. Hated it. Gimme my old FMX, C6 or AOD! :)

Back