What's this Tool?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had this old ruler for many years. Scale doesn't match imperial or metric measurements. Possibly and engineering scale?
So I showed the wooden rule images to an Ag/Tech teacher and he immediately thought of a tree measuring stick... and he had something similar but not numbered the same. This had multiple rules on it but I only took pictures of the one side.
Biltmore Stick
ruler1.pngruler2.pngruler3.png

Last edited:
Another guess on the wooden ruler: Pica measurements? For typographical layouts?

Here are some of my recent purchases...

I think I founds the answer for A... Ring Bending Pliers.
Description: Both jaws are smooth. One has a wide, rounded V-slot;
the other side is shaped to fit into the slot. For bending wire and strips.
A.png
This tool rotates.B.png
Answered... C does match canvas, leather & webbing pliers.
C.png
D.png
Answered...E matches up to chain link removal tool (small)E.pngF.png

Last edited:
Can you tell a non-machinist what this tool does and/or what it is for? I'm curious..

•Provide a fast, precise way to transfer the exact location of open and blind-threaded holes to mating parts •Useful for tool-and-die making, machine maintenance, punch press operations, and in marking the exact center of a set screw from the port to the shaft •Each set consists of six (6) transfer screws stored in a hollow handle wrench holder.

Check this video out. There is a practical demo around 5 min. in...

I've had this old ruler for many years. Scale doesn't match imperial or metric measurements. Possibly and engineering scale?

View attachment 70590
View attachment 70591
View attachment 70592
View attachment 70593

This may be a Timber Rule or Log Rule (don't think the log is for logarithm but i could be wrong). I grew up working weekends and summers at a saw mill and the owner would carry a strange wooden rule when surveying logs...it was used to estimate the number of board-feet that could be produced from a log of a given size.

A.png

I think I founds the answer for A... Ring Bending Pliers. Description: Both jaws are smooth. One has a wide, rounded V-slot; the other side is shaped to fit into the slot. For bending wire and strips.

A.png

I think I founds the answer for A... Ring Bending Pliers. Description: Both jaws are smooth. One has a wide, rounded V-slot; the other side is shaped to fit into the slot. For bending wire and strips.
For putting rings in a bulls nose? That looks familiar from the old farmer I worked for back in the 80’s. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back