Wheel and Tire Packages

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Convertible
I would like suggestions on tires and rims for my 1972 Convertible.  I personally like The Magnum rims and BF Goodrich tire packages but I am open to suggestions. My budget is $1,500 or less.

Questions:

1. What is the best quality Magnum package?

2. What other wheel and tire combinations do you like?

3. Is it better to order tires and rims separately and have a local shop balance and mount them? 

4. What tire sizes look best for front and back?

I just put AR torque thrust on mine. 15x10 295/50 in back, 15x8 235/60 in front. Rear wheel has 5" bs.
6af66a939af61df64015f5f66d2cbbcf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

i customized my magnum 500's over the winter by fabricating adapters to mount billet spinners for a unique look. I followed it up with a set of Mickey Drag radials on the rear (BFG'S on the front) so I could finally put the power to the pavement. Have gotten good reviews so far. What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sweet looking vert Beersdontcount!! ::thumb::   

I have the Magnum 500's.

Lots of debate there.  I have wheel vintiques 10x15's on the back with 5" BS 15x8's on the front.  They look nice but I had to deburr the valve stem holes when they arrived.

American Racing Torque Thrust D's.

3. Is it better to order tires and rims separately and have a local shop balance and mount them?

That's what I did.  Got wheels from Summit, got the tires from a local shop, mounted & balanced for free.

I have BFG's 15-295/50's on the back, 15-225/60's on the front.  Like 'em a lot.

Sweet looking vert Beersdontcount!! ::thumb::   

I have the Magnum 500's.

Lots of debate there.  I have wheel vintiques 10x15's on the back with 5" BS 15x8's on the front.  They look nice but I had to deburr the valve stem holes when they arrived.

American Racing Torque Thrust D's.

That's what I did.  Got wheels from Summit, got the tires from a local shop, mounted & balanced for free.

I have BFG's 15-295/50's on the back, 15-225/60's on the front.  Like 'em a lot.

Im looking at getting some Torque Thrust D's. 15" is all im interested in, but I dont know what back spacing. I see some info above that 5" is good on the back. Is that also good on the front? Also what widths will clear everything?

Last edited by a moderator:
You didn't say what width of wheel. General rule of thumb on backspacing on our cars is one-half the wheel width plus one-half inch, so an 8" wide wheel would have 4-1/2 inches of backspacing.

Back