Wheel Bearing Seal- What?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MustangGuy2k

Reaction score
Ok I have looked everywhere and I just can't seem to find a seal for the inter bearings on the front brake rotor. Would I be correct that one is not used on the rotor bearings? How is the bearing and grease held in?

Thanks

There is a grease seal for the inner bearing. It is pressed with light effort into the machined recess of the rotor behind the inner bearing. It is absolutely necessary that one is installed. Any shop manual will show the orientation. The seal is available from several suppliers.

Ron

Not to suggest you are not able to install the inner greae seal correctly, but I offer the following YouTube link to saee hw I installed ours. I did not use a seal driver, which I am certain will draw the ire of some folks, I have found just using a small hammer judiciously does the trick.

https://youtu.be/z_RwCz21LT4

The part of the video that shows me installing the grease seal (without a seal driver, no less) is at:

06:20 (putting a thin coating of grease on the part of the spindle the grease seal is going to contacting)
07:05 Beginning to prepare and to install the inner grease seal

In the same video I show how to properly tighten the spindle bearing retaining nut, at:

12:35 - 17:58

Gil

Ok I have looked everywhere and I just can't seem to find a seal for the inter bearings on the front brake rotor. Would I be correct that one is not used on the rotor bearings? How is the bearing and grease held in?

Thanks
Speedway Motors, Summit Racing, CJ Pony all have them. Do not expect that your local auto parts stores will carry them. They stock parts for modern vehicles.

Back