wheel ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 conv. 250 inline 6 black int. orange paint
[url=https://ibb.co/ifut7w][img]https://preview.ibb.co/dHY9fG/IMG_0824.jpg[/img][/url]
this is an opinion question, what size wheel other then 14 or 15 in. do you guys thinks best on our cars? 17 or 18 in. some like less rubber showing and some like more . it is surprising the difference an inch makes on a rim . thanks for the input.if you have pics please post.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you're in the 14" and 15" sizes, both tire and rim size work together to create a "look."

Case in point, these are 205/70/R14's mounted on my Mach's 14x7" rims. They look undersized and incorrect. 215/70/R14's would look far better, and are closer to the stock E70x14 size:

wistwh.jpg

Some of the older 14" wheels of their day were pretty massive looking, and give the car a completely different look without even changing the 14x7" rims. Here is a shot of some Goodyears from Gone in 60 Seconds on 14x7"s, though these are period, bias-ply letter-size tires:

rsscqa.jpg

That said, the Kelly Super Charger (also bias-ply) isn't made any more, but it gives us a tire size data point to work from for a similar look. The Kelly is at the far left, size is P245/60/R14. It is next to a pitiful P195/70/R14 Uniroyal Tiger Paw:

2v113q1.jpg

Big 14" tires in sizes like that are still available - B.F. Goodrich sells the Radial T/A in the same size as the Kelly. This is a stock picture, FYI:

51R57uCeaQL._SY300_.jpg

There are other tires in between. All depends on the look you want. Keep in mind your front wheelwell clearance as well.

Case in point, I prefer this look for the front - but I need to see if the P245/60/R14's of today would rub in front or not.

jv591g.png

That said, I do not understand the aesthetics of 16"+ rims as much, so I'll defer to the style experts to chime in for those sizes.

-Kurt

It's 15 or nothing for me personally. 17s maintain a bit of sidewall so that's my personal pick based on looks alone. Some guys here with 17 torque thrusts on fastbacks and their cars look cool but Luxstang vert with 18s looks killer too so I guess it comes down to body's type + desired look

When you're in the 14" and 15" sizes, both tire and rim size work together to create a "look."

Case in point, these are 205/70/R14's mounted on my Mach's 14x7" rims. They look undersized and incorrect. 215/70/R14's would look far better, and are closer to the stock E70x14 size:

wistwh.jpg

Some of the older 14" wheels of their day were pretty massive looking, and give the car a completely different look without even changing the 14x7" rims. Here is a shot of some Goodyears from Gone in 60 Seconds on 14x7"s, though these are period, bias-ply letter-size tires:

rsscqa.jpg

That said, the Kelly Super Charger (also bias-ply) isn't made any more, but it gives us a tire size data point to work from for a similar look. The Kelly is at the far left, size is P245/60/R14. It is next to a pitiful P195/70/R14 Uniroyal Tiger Paw:

2v113q1.jpg

Big 14" tires in sizes like that are still available - B.F. Goodrich sells the Radial T/A in the same size as the Kelly. This is a stock picture, FYI:

51R57uCeaQL._SY300_.jpg

There are other tires in between. All depends on the look you want. Keep in mind your front wheelwell clearance as well.

Case in point, I prefer this look for the front - but I need to see if the P245/60/R14's of today would rub in front or not.

jv591g.png

That said, I do not understand the aesthetics of 16"+ rims as much, so I'll defer to the style experts to chime in for those sizes.

-Kurt
Digging the dog dishes Kurt looks awesome

many of us are straying from the original posters request for tires other than 15's, but they seem to be quite popular amongst our cars...

I'll shed a bit of info on "my" dilemma.

I bought the car with 14x7" Cragars all round. This includes rear disks. Since my original rear tires were 245's, space wasn't an issue.

When I decided to put some meat on the back, I had the rear wheels made to 15x8 inch rims. This allowed me to use BFG's 275/60/16.

With 4 3/4" BS, I missed my rear calipers by a bees dick.

The Rear also sports new 4 leaf springs lowered 1" so the tire fills in the space well. The fronts were a little tricker. I've got long tubes hanging down quite a bit in the front so I didn't have the luxury of lowering to my heart's content. Instead, a combination of 1" lowered GT springs plus BFG 225/70/14 seemed to fill the gap enough to create the illusion that the car is lowered more than it is.

Together with new KYB's gas-adjusts and there's no rubbing or bottoming out ...I'm happy with the look and functionality.

I had to import all 4 tires from the states...

car_side.jpg
[/align]

-Kurt
I have 245/70/R14s on mine and have plenty of clearance, so 60s should be fine.

IMO 16" is pushing the limits of what looks good on our cars.

I'll stay with my personal preference if moving (slightly) from total stock BTW he runs 15 inch Magnum 500's:

An earlier posting from C9zx:

"... the rear wheel size. They are ... 15x8s with 4 1/2 back spacing. ... I have 15x7 with 4 1/4 back spacing wheel vintiques on the front with 245x60x15 in the front. I feel this is the edge with 245x60x15 tires (Goodrich Radial T/As) and may be over the edge if a tire of the same size with a wider section width is used. They don't rub but, there is not much clearance. The 275s in the back are tall at 28.00 inches so it numerically lowers the effective gear ratio a bit but, it fills up the wheel wells which I like and others do not. Chuck"

Ray

First of all "thanks Luke!!" :)

After my odyssey with wheels, rims and tires and whatnot, I must say that there is no definite answer to this question. It may seem funny that I (who was the first on this forum to have those big rims on IIRC) like a nice car with 15 inch rims better than anything else in most cases.

I actually never liked the low sidewall ratio on classic cars. But then I never really liked my convertible either. There was something missing to it.

Then a guy was selling those 18 inch rims and I went and tried them on and suddenly I liked what I saw there. But it didn´t stop there. Once the big rims were on the car it was sitting too high, although it had previously been lowered and looking good.

So I had to lower it even more and then everything fell into place and made the car look like it does. And I was completely taken by the looks.

But you also gotta remember that my car is far from stock appearance, even if it takes a second glance.

It has been stripped of all the moldings and bright work, the fender extensions and hood moldings have been painted, all the lettering and badges have been removed etc. which gives the car a sleeker and slightly more modern appearance. That again makes the big rims and low tires look more at home on it.

If you take a car that has all factory looks and add big rims and low profile tires, they will look like add ons. They will look out of place.

So the type of rim you use on the car is defined by the general aspect and style of the car and, in return, they will again define the general look of the car. It´s a circle.

I love a nice car with classic looks and a killer 15 inch rim (best with a deep dish 10 inch wide rim in the back) with bulging tires. Nothing screams "muscle car" more than that.

Last week I saw a yellow 1970 Mach1 with 15 inch "Nascar" like rims, where the center is flush against the brake disks (unlike the Magnums that have that middle section pointing out). The rims had no center caps and were painted black. To top it off, the car had bulging white letter tires and it looked so badass I wanted to take it home on the spot.

Big rims would not have worked on that particular car.

To sum it up, I must say that there are cars on this forum with big rims that I love but there are some with 15 inch rims that just look stunning!

So it all depends on the personality of your car.

I just thought of something else: I strongly believe that if you go the big wheel route the style of the wheel has to be a classic one. Mine are basically huge Torq Thrusts.

A fancy new shiny modern rim that will look good on a Hyundai will not necessarily look good on a classic. Many people who don´t like big rims on classic are not aware of the fact that they saw a car with rims that were too modern to go with the car and they will blame it on the size instead of the looks.

And another thing is that most modern rims are flush on the outside surface. But for our cars you need a deep dish. Use a flush wheel and it will again look out of place (most of the times). I wish mine had less offset and had a deeper dish in return.

-Kurt
I have 245/70/R14s on mine and have plenty of clearance, so 60s should be fine.
Just for reference:

I have 255/60/15 on the original Magnums and they don´t rub, even with my waaay lowered front suspension and stock fender lips (not rolled).

I like 17's on my '73. 17x8 in the front with 245/45-17 and 17x9 in the rear with 275/40-17 looks great. Not too big, fills the wheel well nicely, you can fit a nice set of brakes and you can get the tires easily..

I agree that the size of the wheel needs to match the style of the car. I'm going with a 17 x 7 with a 225 45 on the front and an 18 x 8 and 255 45 on the rear. This maintains roughly the same sidewall front to rear and the stagger I think will look really good. Mine is a restomod custom though.[/font][/b]

I just got my Year One 17 x8 and 17x9 one piece magnum 500 wheels.

245-45 17 in the front and 275-40 17 on the rears.
Yep, that looks awesome!

I think my new Centerlines are showing up tomorrow. 17x11 for the rear with 6.5" BS. Strapping on some 315-35-17" rubber and 245-45-17 onto the front (17x8). This will reduce the tire height to 25.7" from 26.7" where it currently sits. Does anyone think that will make the car too low?

Yep, that looks awesome!

I think my new Centerlines are showing up tomorrow. 17x11 for the rear with 6.5" BS. Strapping on some 315-35-17" rubber and 245-45-17 onto the front (17x8). This will reduce the tire height to 25.7" from 26.7" where it currently sits. Does anyone think that will make the car too low?
Wicked cool .Don't think it would be too low at all. Can't wait to see the pics. Have you modified the rear wheel wells etc to fit all that rubber

Yep, that looks awesome!

Wicked cool .Don't think it would be too low at all. Can't wait to see the pics. Have you modified the rear wheel wells etc to fit all that rubber
No, I haven't modified the wheelwells themselves, but I no longer have a rear sway bar and my suspension is lowered using a complete suspension kit from PST. I have no clearance issues with 295-50-15 rubber on 15x10s with 5.5" BS. I measured and it looks like a 6.5" BS would work as well and get me some more space for 315s.

Back