When do you speak up??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think this should be an issue, answer correctly mention why it is correct and move on. I don't care if it is me, I try to answer what has happened to me, having owned 2 72 convertibles (one for 15 years) and amateurly restoring 1 I have run into a lot of issues that usually get fixed one way or another. I use this forum for ideas and trouble but sometimes I do find some answers that leave me wondering.

No one is ever afraid to correct my mistakes.

I don't mind being corrected. I welcome it. I go back and edit my mistake OUT of my post, and give credit to the corrector.

The only exception is the yellow wire on a duraspark module advancing the ignition. I'll believe it when I see it. Or is it a white wire?

Anyway. I don't think anyone I know personally on this forum, and I know 3 heavy hitters, as well as those I only know through the forum, which is probably about 50, want bad information on this site.

So, don't be afraid to be correct about a FACT. Opinions are another matter.

What I've always wondered about are the lurkers who never post. Ill bet there are people on here who have done things mechanically that will make some of the regular posters or the "heavy hitters" so to speak flip out, but for one reason or the other they stay in the shadows. I rarely post for various reasons mainly I don't want to come off as a know it all because I don't know It all, not yet anyway :). Correction is a wonderful thing If handled in the proper way. Now for those of you who do post often. I really enjoy them for the most part. I have a considerable amount of experience in a lot of trades but I am always learning something from someone on here no mater what their skill level or experience level. As far as conflict goes its best to go right to the source as fast as possible as long as temperament will allow for a restrained conversation or dialogue. Remember as well the reason for approaching another person to resolve conflict is to help the person along on this path we call life, to help them grow as a person. To do so as an act of kindness and love instead of spite and hatred. To correct with the proper motivation is an honorable thing and it should be encouraged.

Disagreement can be a very healthy thing when handled correctly. If it reduces to personal attacks and arguement the moderators and members here are very quick to step in and put a stop to it. There are many here with very extensive experience in restoring and modifying many types of cars and trucks, and a great base of experience and knowledge they are willing to share. We all have different methods and experiences for completing a job. For example I have had success with cutting coil springs and others say to NEVER cut a spring. We can agree to disagree. If there is a safety reason not to do something we owe it to our fellow members to point that out. If the advice offered could cause an expensive mistake it should not go uncorrected. Specific examples of PERSONAL experiences should be cited when correcting an error. There are processes and procedures that are considered "best practice" and there are other valid safe shortcuts that we learn through experience.

I don't understand when folks get their shorts in a wad over differing opinions on a forum as long as it's not personal attacks. I've been involved in a few differences of opinion here, it's not personal it's just about different experiences. There are some who just will not listen however and you just need to leave them be and post facts or what you believe is best practice. We should not be afraid to share our successes and failures with our friends on this forum.

OK I'll splain myself......TOTALED implies your car/project was once a TOTAL wreck. If was Totaled then by definition, the car had to be rebuilt completely or "..or built from scratch.."

Or as Foghornleghon would say, "That's a joke Son, I say a joke!!, Here we are, I'm a pitchin'em out, Butt Ya just ain't catchin'em, catching I say."

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I splain myself......Totaled implies your car/project was once a TOTAL wreck. If was Totaled then by definition the had to be rebuilt completely or "..or built from scratch.."

Or as Foghornleghon would say, "That's a joke Son, I say a joke!!, Here we are, I'm a pitchin'em out, Butt Ya just ain't catchin'em, catching I say."
I miss those old cartoons...sometimes a jab is hard to catch in a text form.

+1 especially the "butt" part...or did you mean "but" they do have two very different meanings.
Yes, I know, it's a colloquialism from another Forum I frequent, I though to "share" it here, and Plz refer to Totaled reply above.

"...that's, catchin'em I say."

Just pore ole Tubo's feble attempt at humor. Comes free with the package.

+1 especially the "butt" part...or did you mean "but" they do have two very different meanings.
Yes, I know, it's a colloquialism from another Forum I frequent, I though to "share" it here, and re fer to the reply above to Totaled.

"...that's, catchin'em I say."

Just pore ole Tubo's feble attempt at humor. Comes free with the package.
In person I am a joker and sometimes I can't help myself on here but, like I said it's a hard sell without total delivery but the emotioncons help

OK I'll splain myself......TOTALED implies your car/project was once a TOTAL wreck. If was Totaled then by definition, the car had to be rebuilt completely or "..or built from scratch.."

Oh. Got it. No, the Mach wasn't a total, I've used this user name since 2001 when I first got on forums, because my broncoii is an insurance total.

No worries. :D

I'll admit. I'm a lurker and not a poster. Reason is because of all the bad information or lack of experience I see in the car forums I visit. I'll post good information from 35 years of experience working on these cars just to have someone right after me post completely wrong information.

Maybe I'm just getting grouchy in my older age but I just don't have the energy / time to argue about it. Instead, every day I get in my fastback, pump the pedal once, let my car start on the second revolution, watch the tach as it cold idles at 800rpm without as much as touching the pedal again. I put the 4r70w (with functioning steering lock rod) into gear using the stock shifter and drive to work as I watch everyone drive along side of me as I go down the freeway.

I personally have rebuilt every part on this car right down to the chevy seals I used on the transmission output shaft.

Maybe people could post how many times they have personally fixed a problem posted by someone.

Or maybe old grouches like me just stay silent.[/align]

I think my biggest complaint is when you repair or replace something with successful results, and someone swoops in to say, "You should've done X instead," based on their experience with what worked for them and their buddies, or their preference in equipment.

I won't use any examples from here, but when I was frequenting Jeeps Unlimited, and swapped my narrowtrac axles for widetracs, I had all sorts of "un-asked-for advice" on how I should've instead upgraded to Dana 44s with different gears and lockers than I had - because factory widetrac axles are junk and would be lucky to survive street driving. Nevermind that fact that I'd scored the axles for $400 each (completely loaded with Detroit Lockers, 4.10 gears, one-piece axles, trussed, etc.) from one of the very same guys who was swapping to full-size axles and HUMVEE wheels (he liked to bash his Jeep every weekend).

There's always going to be comparisons of different things because there are so many ways to do the things we need to do (example: MSD vs. Pertronix vs. Duraspark vs. points, et al)... but telling someone they made a bad choice because you prefer something else is what I'm talking about. When I have something in mind, I usually run it by the group (because I know 'somebody' has had experience with Brand X) looking for affirmation, potential pitfalls, and 'lessons learned' type things... not, "you should've done this instead because I like it better (or it costs more, or it's a better name-brand, etc.)."

Fortunately, there's not very much of the "mine's bigger and I know someone with 2"-syndrome among this group.

Had one of those moments the other day couple of guys stopped to look at my mach 1 and one mentioned he was building a ford truck . He put a boss 302 from a 1976 mustang and a 4 speed powerglide trany in it. I stopped myself from busting out laughing and told him i really wanted to see this truck. We traded contact info but i doubt i will ever hear from them

Had one of those moments the other day couple of guys stopped to look at my mach 1 and one mentioned he was building a ford truck . He put a boss 302 from a 1976 mustang and a 4 speed powerglide trany in it. I stopped myself from busting out laughing and told him i really wanted to see this truck. We traded contact info but i doubt i will ever hear from them
lollerz I would love to see that one myself

This guy walks by my brother house with his wife and kids a few times a week. One day he sees my brother and asks " is that a real Boss 302 in you garage" My brother says yes it is. The guy proceeds to tell my brother that he has a 56 F100 project with a Boss 302 and 4 speed in it.My brother thinks to him self OK! Years go by my brother and Grieg become Harley buddy's. One day Grieg and Joel are B/S-ing about the F100 and on berried it from the massive amount of crap in the garage. Once they got it out to the drive way Grieg lifted the hood and low and behold their sat a bone stock 70 Boss 302. A couple hours later they had it running.:cool:

This guy walks by my brother house with his wife and kids a few times a week. One day he sees my brother and asks " is that a real Boss 302 in you garage" My brother says yes it is. The guy proceeds to tell my brother that he has a 56 F100 project with a Boss 302 and 4 speed in it.My brother thinks to him self OK! Years go by my brother and Grieg become Harley buddy's. One day Grieg and Joel are B/S-ing about the F100 and on berried it from the massive amount of crap in the garage. Once they got it out to the drive way Grieg lifted the hood and low and behold their sat a bone stock 70 Boss 302. A couple hours later they had it running.:cool:
was the 4 speed a powerglide?

I agree to say, PM the person asking the question. It is up to them to choose the information as fact or not. When I ask a question, I take all information given and then do some more research. So far this website has been a great massive source of knowledge. We all have made our mistakes. If I am wrong, or someone thinks I am incorrect, I would rather be corrected and learn from it. My main goal is to learn and complete my car to specs.

Back