Where are you putting your speakers?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought her with this tear in the headliner. I don't think I want to replace it until I have a need to pull the windshield  and the rear window. I was thinking of making speaker boxes that would cover the hole.

I am open to other ideas though.

I have a set of 4x6's in the doors, a set of 6x9s in the package tray - both sets by Retrosound and sound great (used some spacers on the 6x9s though, so I didn't have to cut the sheet metal - my poor car had been through enough of that at that point -  :whistling:  ).  I also have a pair of MTX Terminator 10" subs and an MTX Sledgehammer amp that will be going under the package tray in a custom box with the amp mounted in between, firing into the seatback - possibly sealed-boxes, ported, or maybe a 3-chamber single-reflex bandpass-style box - I need to find out what best suits the subs before I go cuttin' any MDF.  

I'm thinking that since the MTX Thunderbox in my truck has a pair of relatively small sealed boxes, that should be just fine.  They're not Solobarics, though, so they'll probably take up a good chunk of the space under the package tray (non fold-down seat, of course) - I guess I'll be packin' 'em full of insulation, too. ;) :D

My roll bar goes through the speaker holes in the package tray. I already had the 6x9 speakers so I cut 12- 1/4" slots for each speaker in the filler panel then covered that panel and the package tray with good quality speaker cloth. While not for the purist. They are out of the way as far as trunk space goes,and with no grills they are hidden on the inside

I'm looking at the California Cougar kick panels for the front

Radio??? Who needs a radio!! Actually, someday I might install one but for now I just listen to the motor rumble. Never had a radio in it for 15 years now.

LOL, I took the two amps and pioneer system out and the boom box out of the trunk also. I put stock AM/FM back and the door speakers. I never listen to radio when in the Mustang. Took the burglar alarm off and also the radar detector. He had hacked the wiring to death. I replace the entire harness. The wet carpet in the trunk caused all kinds of surface rust.

Now in the garage I listen to the tunes. Can play 8 track, vinyl, CD, DVD, laser disc. Have lots of 70's music.

online coin flip

I have a set of 4x6's in the doors, a set of 6x9s in the package tray - both sets by Retrosound and sound great (used some spacers on the 6x9s though, so I didn't have to cut the sheet metal - my poor car had been through enough of that at that point -  :whistling:  ).  I also have a pair of MTX Terminator 10" subs and an MTX Sledgehammer amp that will be going under the package tray in a custom box with the amp mounted in between, firing into the seatback - possibly sealed-boxes, ported, or maybe a 3-chamber single-reflex bandpass-style box - I need to find out what best suits the subs before I go cuttin' any MDF.  

I'm thinking that since the MTX Thunderbox in my truck has a pair of relatively small sealed boxes, that should be just fine.  They're not Solobarics, though, so they'll probably take up a good chunk of the space under the package tray (non fold-down seat, of course) - I guess I'll be packin' 'em full of insulation, too. ;) :D
OK, so I actually had a few minutes to look a few things up shortly after I'd posted this.  I determined that sealed boxes with .75 cubic feet of enclosure each will work perfectly for the MTX subs I have - that's not all that big at all.  I also found an enclosure calculator and determined that I should be able to build a box that will tuck up under the package tray against the seatback, not come anywhere close to protruding into the trunk, and fit both subs along with a space in the middle for the amp to have plenty of airspace.  Shouldn't need to be all that heavy, either, since the enclosures are so small I could probably get away with 1/2" or maybe 9/16" MDF.

Now, I just need to find the time to make this happen.

I put them in the trunk: wife and MIL. Gawd, do they like to speak when I'm driving!

OK, so I actually had a few minutes to look a few things up shortly after I'd posted this.  I determined that sealed boxes with .75 cubic feet of enclosure each will work perfectly for the MTX subs I have - that's not all that big at all.  I also found an enclosure calculator and determined that I should be able to build a box that will tuck up under the package tray against the seatback, not come anywhere close to protruding into the trunk, and fit both subs along with a space in the middle for the amp to have plenty of airspace.  Shouldn't need to be all that heavy, either, since the enclosures are so small I could probably get away with 1/2" or maybe 9/16" MDF.

My son in laws dad had a stereo shop here. Back in the 80's he won a stereo competition at Daytona beach. I forget the decibels but you could not have been inside the car. Took the back seat out for putting a bank of speakers in his SS monte carlo. On cars with rubber gaskets around the windshield he would make the wiper blades come way off the windshield with it pulsing. He would calculate the C.I. and size of box and vent hole size and I would build them. Had to glue with construction glue and lots of screws to keep them together.

Me I just never like loud music or lots of speakers. But I am about deaf from working in factory and shooting, lol. I hear all these crickets all the time.

I'm wondering where ourselves can put hidden speakers in a Convertible? I used to have 2 speakers in the rear quarter panel (put holes in them in 1988)  :mad: 

Since I got myself a decent pair of quarter panels out of a 71 Cougar (ash tray left and right) I certainly don't want to cut holes again! So I'm thinking of Undercover speakers (they have their own enclosure) those speakers sell for around 120 bucks a piece and perhaps put them under the seats!? I currently installed a subwoofer/amp unit that is hidden behind the rear bench. I also have have 2 speakers up front under the dash pad. So the question is did anyone install Undercover or other speakers in a Convertible and where, how's the sound of them? I only want the radio to be visible. Thanks for your input fellas!!

My son in laws dad had a stereo shop here. Back in the 80's he won a stereo competition at Daytona beach. I forget the decibels but you could not have been inside the car. Took the back seat out for putting a bank of speakers in his SS monte carlo. On cars with rubber gaskets around the windshield he would make the wiper blades come way off the windshield with it pulsing. He would calculate the C.I. and size of box and vent hole size and I would build them. Had to glue with construction glue and lots of screws to keep them together.

Me I just never like loud music or lots of speakers. But I am about deaf from working in factory and shooting, lol. I hear all these crickets all the time.
I've always been a fan of good, clean sound - not necessarily ridiculous power.  I've had a few moderately-powered car systems in my time (usually in the 400-500 watt range), but nothing really high-end or ridiculously overpowering.  I've also had some completely 'junk' systems in my cars before, and I can honestly say it's a lot easier to listen to a good-sounding stereo when driving long distances, than having to endure crappy sounding tunes for the same.  My first car had a Sparkomatic AM/FM/Cassette (non-auto reverse) running through factory '82 Mustang speakers... and it truly sucked driving 14 hours to 'go home' on leave from my first Air Force assignment.  A couple of 'barracks drug deals' later, and I had a nice JVC Digifine AM/FM/Cassette, a Majestic 9-band powered EQ, and a set of Clarion 6x9s with some BX Jensen 4" door speakers.  That made all the difference in the world.  There's nothing magical about the engine sounds of an '82 2.3L Mustang GL after all, and the 14-hour trip between Alamogordo, NM and SLC, UT goes a lot quicker when you have good tunes.

My cheapest stereo system ever is [still] in my Jeep - I have about $200 into one of those 500-watt systems I was talking about.  I'm the guy that will buy someone else's used 'junk,' and make it work.  I bought a new JVC AM/FM/Cassette and a set of 4" Jensens back in '95 from the BX, and then gave a friend $60 for a GPL 4-channel 400 watt amp and a pair of 10" Kicker Comps, and then to Radio Shack for an Optimus 6-channel crossover and 2-channel 100-watt amp - the Marine Sparkomatics that came with the Jeep are still working great.  Crank it up and I can actually hear the music quite clearly rolling down the freeway over the 33" Super Swampers and wind with the roof and doors removed.  Again, a 1980 258 I-6 is no Ferrari Boxer engine when it comes to the tones, so I'll take G'n'R or Van Halen along with me every time.  BTW - Cassettes don't skip when you bounce the frame off a rut tooling around on the trails - ask me how I know.  Also, one of the guys in my old 4x4 club told me it sounds almost as nice and clear as the 11-speaker monstrosity in his wife's Lexus... which I definitely take as a compliment.

The system in my Mustang is pretty much just a Retrosound advertisement.  I have a Model 2 head unit, with Retrosound 4x6s in the doors, and 6x9s in the rear package tray.  It sounds a little 'plinky' as it is right now, which is why I got the MTX subs and amp to fill in the bottom end.  I'm not the big, boomy bass guy by any means - I just like all of the frequencies represented.  Even though I have a 200 watt amp for the subs, it won't be running all of that juice probably ever.  One of my friends early on told me that when you build a stereo system, over-build it as much as you can because a high-powered amp and rated speakers won't have to work very hard at all to produce the sound you want at normal listening levels... which means they'll survive a lot longer than lesser-rated gear.  That's probably a big reason why my stereo equipment has lived as long as it has (I built my home system back in 1989, and it's still sounding better than my buddy's brand-new Onkyo Home Theater set-up).

Speaker box construction hasn't changed much at all.  Still need to glue and screw them together, caulk the joints, and smooth out the rough edges inside to reduce turbulence.  I definitely like to trim my boxes to compliment the interior, which means I'll do my best to integrate my box into the trunk without screaming, "Look at me - I'm a monster stereo system!"  My goal is to have the box tucked up as tightly to the rear seat back as possible, and small enough to still allow my full-size spare to fit in the trunk along with my bag of car show cleaning goodies and a couple of 'camp' chairs.  This ain't no grocery-getter, after all. ;)

Those look like 6x9s - am I right?  I'd be interested to know how well they perform having approximately 1/5th of their forward-facing mid-low sound cone obstructed... or if it even makes a difference at all (since the mid-highs and highs are unobstructed).

I'd briefly considered doing the same thing, but realized that with the magnets and baskets hanging down so low, it would affect (if not prevent) the design of the sub-box going in under the package tray.

Still - it looks GREAT!  I hope it sounds how you want it to. ::thumb::

Those look like 6x9s - am I right?  I'd be interested to know how well they perform having approximately 1/5th of their forward-facing mid-low sound cone obstructed... or if it even makes a difference at all (since the mid-highs and highs are unobstructed).

I'd briefly considered doing the same thing, but realized that with the magnets and baskets hanging down so low, it would affect (if not prevent) the design of the sub-box going in under the package tray.

Still - it looks GREAT!  I hope it sounds how you want it to. ::thumb::
Yes, they are 6x9. I won’t know how it sounds for awhile since this restoration seems to be taking forever to complete, there is no end in sight right now. Ryan

Back