Where do these electrical connectors go ?????

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QcodeAl

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q Code Mustang 22,oo original miles. Needs restored.
Hey guys,

I have a 73 q code mach 1 and unfortunately the previous owner took the intake manifold and some other parts off the Cleveland and then lost interest. I think I have pretty much so everything tracked down but can't seem to figure out these 2 connectors with the arrow's beside them. I have the 3rd one marked as the idle solenoid connection so please let me know if I have that correct also. The one on the left is round and female if I remember right and the other is flat and female spade. Note that I have the harness "pulled" quite far forward and to me these would land at just about the end of the left side valve cover. I suspected they were related to the "normally open solenoid valve" and emission's, but since my car is a cobra jet, it didn't use that configuration. It is probably something simple so take it easy on me. this is my first Ford I have tinkered with in about 25 years and I am stumped ! Help !

connectors.pdf

Attachments

• connectors.pdf
    200.9 KB · Views: 88
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,

I have a 73 q code mach 1 and unfortunately the previous owner took the intake manifold and some other parts off the Cleveland and then lost interest. I think I have pretty much so everything tracked down but can't seem to figure out these 2 connectors with the arrow's beside them. I have the 3rd one marked as the idle solenoid connection so please let me know if I have that correct also. The one on the left is round and female if I remember right and the other is flat and female spade. Note that I have the harness "pulled" quite far forward and to me these would land at just about the end of the left side valve cover. I suspected they were related to the "normally open solenoid valve" and emission's, but since my car is a cobra jet, it didn't use that configuration. It is probably something simple so take it easy on me. this is my first Ford I have tinkered with in about 25 years and I am stumped ! Help !
Clean the wires carefully, no solvents, and note the wire colors and any stripe or hash mark colors. Then go to the 73 wiring diagram (page 11 or 12 most likely) on this site to see if you can ID where they go. If you can't figure it out, post the colors/stripes/hash marks here. Chuck

Round one is the A/C compressor.
Non Ac car..... Is it possible some are unused ? or was a different sub harness used at some point ? (It is a 22,000 mile car but anything is possible.) I will clean the wires tomorrow and note the colors and tracers.

Keep the thoughts coming !

I was thinking that the round one was for AC and the other for the electric choke. Once you have the wire colors it will be easier to determine. It is possible that some are unused and AC would be a good example.

Is the harness with the two unidentified connectors different from the alternator plugs that you see in the pic? If it is a different harness, I think it routes behind the carburetor. Pretty sure the brown wire is an emissions connection on RH side of engine. If you can identify colors its a simple lookup on wiring diagram.

Is the harness with the two unidentified connectors different from the alternator plugs that you see in the pic? If it is a different harness, I think it routes behind the carburetor. Pretty sure the brown wire is an emissions connection on RH side of engine. If you can identify colors its a simple lookup on wiring diagram.
It has been a few day since I really dug into this so now I am questioning myself. I will try to confirm tonight, but If I remember right, the 2 unidentified are part of the alternator harness. I seem to remember finding the "always open solenoid" on the RH rear of the intake.connector in a small sub harness that also has the oil pressure switch connector and electric choke connector

I will confirm that all and report back.

If you look at the length of the idle solenoid wire. Which to me is pretty specific since it is oval shaped. There isn't a lot of length for those 2 unidentified to go too far.

The wiring diagram will have the answer for sure so I better get these cleaned and documented.

Thanks all !

It has been a few day since I really dug into this so now I am questioning myself. I will try to confirm tonight, but If I remember right, the 2 unidentified are part of the alternator harness. I seem to remember finding the "always open solenoid" on the RH rear of the intake.connector in a small sub harness that also has the oil pressure switch connector and electric choke connector

If you look at the length of the idle solenoid wire. Which to me is pretty specific since it is oval shaped. There isn't a lot of length for those 2 unidentified to go too far.

The wiring diagram will have the answer for sure so I better get these cleaned and documented.

Thanks all !
Ok. colors of the 2 connectors in question and colors on all the others for confirmation.

The 3 in question in the pic:

Oval shaped in pic: Red (almost has to be idle solenoid ?)

Round female: Black with light green hash marks (no idea on this one)

Flat female spade: Brown with orange has marks (no idea on this one)

The harness goes across the front of the intake manifold with 3 more connectors

Round female 45 degree connector it is black: Wire is Red with white tracer (my guess either coil or temp sending unit)

Round female 45 degree connector it is yellow: wire is red with green tracer (my guess is either coil or temp sending unit)

Flat spade female: Tan ? white ? with a Black tracer (my guess is the electric choke)

There is also a small harness that goes behind the carb it contains

Flat spade female: Wire is Brown with light green hash marks. (my guess is the always on solenoid bolted to the right rear of the intake manifold)

Flat spade female: Wire is Red with yellow or orange hash marks ( my guess is also to the always on solenoid on the intake manifold as it has 2 make spades)

Round Female 45 degree connector it is black: wire is tan with a red tracer. (my guess is oil pressure sending unit).

Hope this isn't too confusing of a description. I will try to add some pictures too later

Thanks all !
Ok. colors of the 2 connectors in question and colors on all the others for confirmation.

The 3 in question in the pic:

Oval shaped in pic: Red (almost has to be idle solenoid ?)

?????

Round female: Black with light green hash marks (no idea on this one)

Only BK LG H found was windshield wiper circuit???

Flat female spade: Brown with orange has marks (no idea on this one)

Ambient temp sensor switch and/or spark delay bypass solenoid

The harness goes across the front of the intake manifold with 3 more connectors

Round female 45 degree connector it is black: Wire is Red with white tracer (my guess either coil or temp sending unit)

Engine temp sender

Round female 45 degree connector it is yellow: wire is red with green tracer (my guess is either coil or temp sending unit)

coil +

Flat spade female: Tan ? white ? with a Black tracer (my guess is the electric choke)

W BK choke

There is also a small harness that goes behind the carb it contains

Flat spade female: Wire is Brown with light green hash marks. (my guess is the always on solenoid bolted to the right rear of the intake manifold)

No BR LG H found

Flat spade female: Wire is Red with yellow or orange hash marks ( my guess is also to the always on solenoid on the intake manifold as it has 2 make spades)

R Y H Throttle position solenoid and/or EGR output solenoid

Round Female 45 degree connector it is black: wire is tan with a red tracer. (my guess is oil pressure sending unit).

W R oil pressure sender

Hope this isn't too confusing of a description. I will try to add some pictures too later
The above are best guesses using the diagram on this site which doesn't show the connector shapes like the 72 diagram. Volume 6 of the 1973 shop manual may be of some help if you have access to one. Sorry I wasn't of much help. Chuck

As Chuck said, the colors/marks provided don't seem to make sense per the wiring diagram. At this point, I would get engine back together and hook up what you know to be correct and see where the questionable connectors can stretch to. Can't be many choices with whatever length is left.

My best guess, irrespective of the colors you provided are...the round connector with black wire goes to A/C clutch and the spade terminal goes to electric choke.

Thanks guys ! I am traveling again next week so won't have time to work on it. I am going to try to take a good clear picture today with them all laid out.

The colors are kind of hard to distinguish due to age and fading. For example the straight round connector in the original pic that I have as black with light green hash that the consensus is the AC clutch is identified as black with yellow hash on the diagram. To me a discolored yellow could look light green. So I am thinking that is what it is. Just odd that it is there to me on a non AC car.

Al,

Spent some more time looking at the wiring diagram this morning.

Can confirm the brown/orange hash wire is circuit 369 and is used on cars equipped with 6cyl or 351 2V engines only. It hooks up to one of the emission solenoids on the LH front of engine which your car did not come with.

The black/yellow hash is indeed the A/C clutch and is circuit 347 with connector 1007 which the diagram shows the round female like your pic.

So I think your mystery is solved for now...

Regarding those mystery wires. My 72 H code Mach 1 had those 2 unused wires since the car was new. My car is non-AC (round connector) and does not have transmission regulated spark system(flat connector) but had an idle solenoid that I now use for the electric choke power supply on the Holley 4bbl. I imagine Ford used 1 harness for the 351 2V engines regardless of installed options to save $.

Ron

Here is it laid out as I think it goes....

1) idle solenoid

2) Emissions Solenoid. Unused on a 351 4 V cobra jet

3) Air conditioning clutch. Unused on my non air car

4) + Coil

5) Temp sending unit

6) Choke

7) Emissions. always open solenoid

8) Emissions, always open solenoid

9) Oil Pressure sending unit

Let me know what you guys think. The help and information here is incredible !!!! Thanks !

photo(4).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Al,

Came across this pic of a 1973 351 2V with the emissions solenoid on LH front valve cover along with electrical. First time I have seen an actual pic of this as most were probably removed.

25qtybo.jpg

Al,

Came across this pic of a 1973 351 2V with the emissions solenoid on LH front valve cover along with electrical. First time I have seen an actual pic of this as most were probably removed.

25qtybo.jpg
That is the first time I have seen that solenoid hooked up as well. I am guessing 72 California Cleveland equipped cars had the solenoid (and all 73s). This would explain the unused plug that most 72 Clevelands I have seen have. This includes my own 72 H code. It is interesting that there is a pressure switch on my FMX for the trans regulated spark system that my car never had.

Ron

Awesome Pic Jeff ! It also answers some up coming questions I had !!!!

Ron, I don't think it matters to you.... but I don't think the device in the pic is hooked up correctly after studying the vacuum diagrams. It looks like it is just plugged into itself. I did find this on ebay and saved the pic in case I needed it. This small stuff is spendy to say the least.

351 2V emission.jpg

Back