Where is the backup light switch?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. They were working before I had the transmission rebuilt and I didn't check that they were still working after the rebuild -- and then I changed to LED bulbs and noticed they no longer worked.

The neutral safety switch and the backup light switch are in the same housing and are installed on the driver side of the transmission at the shift linkage input shaft for C6 (and C4) transmissions. If the car runs the connector on the NSS/BU light switch is connected and the switch is likely adjusted correctly. I would install one of the old incandescent bulbs and see if that works. The fuse for the backup lights is the same one that powers the turn signals and radio, so if they work it's not the fuse.

The neutral safety switch and the backup light switch are in the same housing and are installed on the driver side of the transmission at the shift linkage input shaft for C6 (and C4) transmissions. If the car runs the connector on the NSS/BU light switch is connected and the switch is likely adjusted correctly. I would install one of the old incandescent bulbs and see if that works. The fuse for the backup lights is the same one that powers the turn signals and radio, so if they work it's not the fuse.
About those fuses... Yes, per the diagrams, the backup lights should be on the same fuse as the radio and since the radio never stopped working, I did not suspect the fuse (F6, 15A). I tried your test (put incandescents back in, which did not work) and it dawned on me I replaced the bulbs *after* the transmission rebuild, and had both of them laying loose and not inserted into the fixture but working just fine with the LEDs.

Then on a whim, got to thinking about the courtesy lights not working, and sure enough, it (F2, 14A) was blown. I replaced it and the backup lights (and courtesy, map and trunk light) now work. Signals still don't, but that's a different problem.

Back