where to start

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 coupe
1998 mustang
1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R
So I woke my engine from its 4 year slumber only to find the Carb pouring fuel all over the intake manifold so I'm either going to rebuild the Holley or source a new Carb.

So until I get that sorted out what should I begin now? I'm thinking sanding the whole car and getting a good coat of primer on it. I'm going to bring this car back to life by doing all the work myself and I'm pretty good with mechanical and body work just takes me time as I pride myself a lot. My wife forbid me to dip into my savings account to supply parts so I'm trying to keep things fairly cheap for now.

Things on my top priority list.

Fixing the Carb.

Replacing brake components (friend is letting be get the front disc setup from a crashed Mach 1 for basically free so I'm debating on putting cash in the drums)

Body prep,repair,sanding,paint, etc. (Making her look pretty)

Going through all wiring.

Or the dreaded interior. (Really want to save this for last or at least bits at a time because I'm going for a restomod and not sure how custom I want the interior yet)

Thanks for reading.

Matrixx (OK, you've definitely posted enough to let us call you by your first name, or a nickname like Bubba or Doc or Mike (which seems to be the first name of most of the guys' here :) ).

When I first got started here, I was given some good advice: think about it in terms of "systems". Think about the suspension "system", the fuel system, the wiring "system", the braking system, etc. If you focus on one "system" at a time, the whole project becomes more manageable, and much more fun. Otherwise, it can be overwhelming, and a nightmare of sadly sitting in the garage (or next to it).

Break it down into system projects is my recommendation - unabashedly plagiarized from posts by Mr. Washington. (You now who you are). :)

I decided to restore my car from the inside out.

Engine, drive train and chassis first. Then the

interior. Last the minor body work and paint job.

This is a daily driver so the paint can wait.

Like 73 said, concentrate on a system and finish it.

Good Advice!

mike

Yes I definitly don't want to be jumping all around the car halfing it at a time. I think I'm going to begin body work first. Sorry if I post a lot but I'm just seeing where people begin their project after a first start/run.

Don't appoligise for posting, there are some extremely knowledgable people on here and thats how we learn. I enjoy reading other peoples questions and answeres (I learn from them too) so keep the posts coming we all enjoy watching a project come together.

Don't appoligise for posting, there are some extremely knowledgable people on here and thats how we learn. I enjoy reading other peoples questions and answeres (I learn from them too) so keep the posts coming we all enjoy watching a project come together.
same here I can't seem to learn enough. I will be taking pictures of this whole build and noting my progress along the way. I'm taking a lot of pictures too :D

Going off the search for a good holley refresh kit!

Doc nailed it in saying to refer to each 'system' as just that. However, each system can be broken down into tasks and sub-tasks. For instance, I broke down the 'brake system' on mine into separate sub-tasks, only because I was up against the wall with my shop closing (which never happened, so now I can revisit the brakes to their conclusion once I'm done with the rear axle). The tasks need to be prioritized based on whatever criteria you're up against. If it's a money issue, prioritize the inexpensive tasks first, with the more expensive tasks coming along as the money becomes available. Be flexible as well... doing nothing but bodywork might get tedious after awhile. You might consider moving off one task when you get to a stopping point, and tackle something else for some variety - but remember to finish that sub-task first (i.e. start a fender, finish a fender... you know).

My compelling logic was because when the shop I'm using closed, I would no longer have access to the things it offered (a lift, welder, presses, specialty tools, etc.). So I prioritized my tasks according to tools I use the most. For instance, I can install brakes at the wheels in my driveway on jack stands, but I would have a much harder time running the brake lines without the lift I'm currently using. I can install the alternator, radiator, power steering pump, bracketry, etc., in my driveway, but dropping in the engine and transmission itself without the hoist and transmission jack (along with the lift), not so much.

Fortunately, my shop remains open (for now), so I can revisit and complete the sub-tasks I left unanswered, which will save me from having to do them in the driveway later.

Coming up with a game plan is important, so that you don't wind up stuck in one area... also, make sure that you (and she) can see specific progress - if she sees that you're getting stuff done, her attitude might change a bit as it starts getting closer to being awesome again.

I would suggest that you get your car running first and then enjoy it before taking more major steps of repair.

The reason is simple. Once you have enjoyed the Mustang you will be motivated to do things as quickly as possible so that your down time is minimized.

+1 " keep the posts coming "

Ray

Thanks mister 4x4 i'm wanting to do the body work while i have time until my engine stuff gets here, plus i have a lot of body work materials already laying around.

I'm hoping once i get pieces of the body coming together pretty I think she will let me put more money sooner into it. I mean she does have the pony emblem tattooed on her :)

@Steven - this car is far from drivable at it's current state. Even if I had it running great i wouldn't trust it on the road with who knows condition brakes and lines, power steering system, clutch, chopped exhaust, etc. I appreciate the input from all of you, you guys/gals are great!

I think i'm going to start sanding,priming,painting the solid body panels first starting at the rear as its still pretty solid and i know rust loves the rear quarter panels on vintage mustangs.

I agree to get it running & somewhat drivable around the neighborhood at first. Just make sure the parking brake works as a fail safe in case something goes wrong & you need some stopping & holding ability.

I agree to get it running & somewhat drivable around the neighborhood at first. Just make sure the parking brake works as a fail safe in case something goes wrong & you need some stopping & holding ability.
That's the plan as far as driving it goes. just taking it down the road in the neigborhood and back. However during the time I was trying to get it to fire up the clutch pedal didn't move a freely as i wanted it to. it never stuck per say but sometimes after pushing the pedal to the floor it would hang for a split second then spring back up. rusty cable perhaps?

They don't have a clutch cable. It's a Z-bar & two rods. It could be that the return spring is missing or it could be a rusty pressure plate. The pressure plate should work the bugs out with some use unless it is totally rusted up.

They don't have a clutch cable. It's a Z-bar & two rods. It could be that the return spring is missing or it could be a rusty pressure plate. The pressure plate should work the bugs out with some use unless it is totally rusted up.
Thanks don! See i'm learning Haha. Well the car has sat for a while obviously it works or the car would have shot through my back fence:) Sounds like it could be a bit rusty from sitting. Hopefully once it's running right and I can move around the street a bit it will become more loose. This is my first vintage pony with a manual and haven't been able to get under the car very well to inspect. Thanks for the info!!

I would suggest that you get your car running first and then enjoy it before taking more major steps of repair.

The reason is simple. Once you have enjoyed the Mustang you will be motivated to do things as quickly as possible so that your down time is minimized.
My thoughts exactly! I would try to get yours in a running condition where you feel safe driving it, then start working on the cosmetics where you can still take a spin on occasion. That was the approach I made with mine. It sure helps keep your interest up if you can take it out for a ride on occasion. Then if you take it off the road for major repairs, you can still remember those rides to keep your interest up. Good luck and keep the posts coming.

My thoughts exactly! I would try to get yours in a running condition where you feel safe driving it, then start working on the cosmetics where you can still take a spin on occasion. That was the approach I made with mine. It sure helps keep your interest up if you can take it out for a ride on occasion. Then if you take it off the road for major repairs, you can still remember those rides to keep your interest up. Good luck and keep the posts coming.
Ya know that does make a ton of sense to me. At the same time i feel like I find myself just gazing off looking at the car just imagining after all the time, money, blood, sweat, and tears what it will feel like to finally turn the key and and go for that first ride and the looks on all the faces of the people that think it's just a rusty POS.

It has to be able to stop and steer before it can go. :s Otherwise you end up building a bigger garage or working on a different car. :p

But sounds to me like you're on the right path. Good luck! We're here if you need us.

Right on. My old way of thinking was I would look at parts and say hmm..does it make the car faster..handle better..or stop quicker? If it was a no to all 3 it got thrown out haha.

Back