Which 1971 engines came with the C6

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m putting in a 429 and C6 in my 71 Mach 1 and wondering about the shifter linkage. I have a linkage from a Mach 1 but unknown if it was a C4 or C6 linkage. Wondering how common the C6 was or what the linkage for it looked like.

thanks!

You could get a C6 with either a 429, 351c, and possibly other combos. Mine came with an FMX and I changed over to a C6. To the best of my recollection, I used the same cross member and shifter linkage. I needed a C6 kickdown rod. I was surprised that the cross member worked based on what I had read in various articles. I have a pdf of an article I saved from back in those days...I can email it to you or if the board is ok with it, I can post it to this thread....it's 5 MB, so kind a big?

I think the Neutral Safety Switch for the 429 is located in the shifter housing and with the 351 it is mounted on the side of the transmission. I don't know if the linkage is the same or not. Good luck with the swap. Chuck

Fabrice, It mounts to the transmission down shift lever. (Mustang with C4 and C6 except 1971 429. Chuck

Thanks everyone. Was considering using the stock shifter and center console with my 429/C6 but linkage rod is costly, if I can even find one. Might just be easier using the B&M shifter and cable.
Hmmmm mine worked fine...went from H code FMX to M code C6 then to 429 C6 using the same shifter, rod, and center console.

Edit: I don't have the column lock linkage set up...is that what you're concerned with?

Thanks everyone. Was considering using the stock shifter and center console with my 429/C6 but linkage rod is costly, if I can even find one. Might just be easier using the B&M shifter and cable.
If you can't get your oem trans shift linkage to work you can reach out to Lokar for a highly adjustable shift rod. I did this for a C4 > AOD swap where I wanted to keep using my oem shifter. The rod was every bit as adjustable as I could have wanted, Worked perfectly. I actually purchased it through Summit Racing. When in the Summit Racing site search on:

lokar shift linkage adjustable

https://www.summitracing.com/

Back