which are the rarest options

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "heater things" attached to the underside of thd front seat cushion springs ard actuallyweight sensors that would activate the seat belt buzzer if around 40lbs ( I think..) or more were placed on the seat cushion with the sest belt unfastened.

Yes, a black 71-73 Mustang is indeed rare. I know there must be some out there, but I have NEVER seen an original factory-paint black 71-73 Mustsngcin person.

Now, I have seen quite a few that are black, but none with original paint.

I have been told by several guys I know who worked on the paint lines at Ford that Ford did not like to put a lot if black cars ingo thier mix due to substsndard sheetmetal fit and finish. Don't know if thats actually true, but I have heard it from different sources.

I wonder if the lock was a part of the convenience group or if it was a separate add on type option. The glove box lock keyed to match the trunk key was a part of the convenience group option. It seems reasonable that a matching keyed spare tire lock would also be a part of that larger option package. If so was that a 71-73 option or just one or two of those years.

:worthlesswithoutpics:

Don (OMS) please post a pic of this mystery lock in your posession and share your knowledge.
Here you go. This is what mine looks like. It locks with the truck key.There also a photo on page 17 on the 1973 ford dealer guide and its part of the protection group.

John J
I am embarased to admit I found one of those in the trunck of a parts car and tossed it - did not know what it was and thought it was off of a refridgerator or something. How much are they worth?

- Paul

I wonder if the lock was a part of the convenience group or if it was a separate add on type option. The glove box lock keyed to match the trunk key was a part of the convenience group option. It seems reasonable that a matching keyed spare tire lock would also be a part of that larger option package. If so was that a 71-73 option or just one or two of those years.

Don (OMS) please post a pic of this mystery lock in your posession and share your knowledge.
Here you go. This is what mine looks like. It locks with the truck key.There also a photo on page 17 on the 1973 ford dealer guide and its part of the protection group.

John J
I have the same spare tire lock on my 73 Lincoln Continental Town Car. I'd bet good money the part is interchangeable on any FOMOCO product.

John J
I am embarased to admit I found one of those in the trunck of a parts car and tossed it - did not know what it was and thought it was off of a refridgerator or something. How much are they worth?

- Paul
10 million dollars.....LOL this guy on eBay has one for $125.00 http://www.ebay.com/itm/290324704105?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

My vert has the spare tire lock and it was holding down the spare that still had the polyglas spare tire. I have another rim im going to use for a useable spare for road trips. I still don't know why I'm keeping the original polyglas spare intact as it probably doesn't add anything other than nostalgia. It did take me a bit to figure out that the round key was the magic to getting it to unlock. LOL

I also have the automatic seat release option and every time you open the passenger door you can hear it click. I still find myself reaching down to the lever on the seat each time tho.

I guess in 73' Stealing spare tires was common :huh::huh:
Simply yes.

You see, in 1973 fuel was getting expensive and many couldn't even receive fuel or afford it so they had to resort to pushing their mustangs rather than drive a Chevy. So while its quite hard to push a car with a flat, ford introduced the spare tire lock to make sure no matter the situation your 1973 mustang will always be rolling.

speaking of black 71-73 cars.

I have seen one documented factory original that was a 73. it was built Black on black, and it had factory installed black hockey stripes, and a mach 1 hood.

it was some special order by a ford executive he had the paper work framed in front of the car. so basically it was a triple black car.

it was pretty cool since it had the glossly black paint set against the flatter decal and hood and lower trim paint all in black.

I remember i commented to the owner it must be impossible to keep clean he laughed and confirmed never saw it again. this was like 10 years ago now.

Factory cold air intake (not Ram Air)? Auron's '73 parts car (V8 coupe) has a plastic plenum that runs under the battery tray.

Stupid me left the camera at home... :dodgy:

Wow...I did not know that 1970 was the last year of Vintage Mustangs that was available in Black without a special order.

Factory cold air intake (not Ram Air)? Auron's '73 parts car (V8 coupe) has a plastic plenum that runs under the battery tray.

Stupid me left the camera at home... :dodgy:
Here's a picture of the cold air intake, minus the "Rare" & "Difficult To Find" flex air hose that attaches to the air cleaner snorkel. If anyone has a cold air intake flex hose...I'm looking to BUY!....Thanks!!!, Mark

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-cold-air-intake-system

Nice info just picked up another 73 fastback today. I had never seen a fastback with all 4 power windows before.

Here are some facts I put together based on info from Marti. This data is for 1973 Mustangs. For example, power windows came on 5.2% of all mustangs in 1973 or just one out of every 19 cars had them.

Jeff

% of Total 1 Out of X cars

Functional Ram Air 0.7% 150

Power Windows 5.2% 19

Instrumentation Group 10.1% 10

Locking Axle 10.7% 9

AM/8 Track Radio 16.1% 6

Rear Spoiler 16.5% 6

Rear Window Defroster 16.7% 6

AM/FM Radio 17.1% 6

Vinyl Roof 17.4% 6

Aluminum Wheels 17.5% 6

Fold Down Seat 26.2% 4

Raised White Letter Tires 40.1% 2

Interior Décor Group 46.9% 2

Air Conditioning 52.6% 2

Full Console 56.5% 2

AM Radio 58.7% 2

Front Disc Brakes 89.0% 1

Power Steering 92.6% 1

Man if I can believe this thread then I think my 73 has some rare options. Automatic Seat Back Release, Seat Belt Warning Buzzer, 351 2V cold air intake, wood grain center console. Not sure if it has the intermittent wipers, haven't gotten that far yet!

Man if I can believe this thread then I think my 73 has some rare options. Automatic Seat Back Release, Seat Belt Warning Buzzer, 351 2V cold air intake, wood grain center console. Not sure if it has the intermittent wipers, haven't gotten that far yet!
Seat release was part of a package in over 29000 1973's

In 72 and 73 the seat belt warning light was standard

The air filter duct was standard - I really wouldn't call it a cold air system as the engine compartments are so open in these cars, it was all cold air when driving.

delayed wipers - if the knob turns both ways you have them

Woodgrain on the dash / guage bezel was standard on mach 1 sport and deluxe interior cars.

Does anyone know the rarity of a drivers power seat?
I would initially say not available. They were offered on Cougars but not 71-3 Mustangs. At least that is what I understand. But if someone has a Marti or window sticker with it listed, I would be forced to rethink that one!

Ray

As for regular production 1971-1973 (non special-order) cars, 1971 was the only year offering Black exterior color.

So for the 1971 Black (paint code "A") Mustangs:

765 Hardtops (Coupes and Grandes)

1768 Fastbacks (Sportsroofs and Mach1s)

129 Convertibles

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Back