Which boot with mini console?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Fastback - 351C-4V, Fitech EFI, T56 Magnum 6 Speed
Hello, working on fixing up the interior and I'll be using a mini console over the manual shifter. This car came with no trans so not sure what kind of boot is supposed to go on there. Not worried about being super original, but would prefer that it well sealed and using original mounting holes on the tunnel. 

Is there typically a single boot on the shifter or is there usually a lower boot sealing at the tunnel and an upper that's more decorative or just one up top? If so any ideas on what affordable boots will work and how to actually hold them to the floor? Is there some kind of retainer plate or something like that?

Not sure if it matters, but the trans is a T56 Magnum and sits a little farther forward in the stock opening, so whatever boot is used it needs to be pliable enough not to try and pull the shifter out of gear. 

Thanks as usual for any input.

Stock 3speed replacement boot

https://www.npdlink.com/product/boot-transmission-gear-shift-lever/105727?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Dshifter%252Bboot%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1971&year=1971

4 speed replacement boot with '71 Hurst flat stick shifter or aftermarket flat stick

https://www.npdlink.com/product/boot-transmission-gear-shift-lever-repro-rectangular-hole/105728?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Dshifter%252Bboot%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1971&year=1971

Both should bolt directly to the factory nuts in the floor and have a molded in steel reinforcement plate. I've used the 4 speed boot on several cars with zero issues. Don't know if it'll cause an issue with your shifter on the T56

OK cool, so those include the plate? Wish they would say that in the descriptions or in pics as I've seen these boots around all in searching for this but never seen them with the plate in the pics. That 3 speed models doesn't look great, but looks like should work better with the round shifter stick I'm using.

Thanks!

OK cool, so those include the plate? Wish they would say that in the descriptions or in pics as I've seen these boots around all in searching for this but never seen them with the plate in the pics. That 3 speed models doesn't look great, but looks like should work better with the round shifter stick I'm using.

Thanks!
I'm positive the 4 speed boot does. I have not personally used the 3 speed, but it's reasonable to assume it should.

There were two versions of the hard plastic piece that fits over the shift boot to trim out the hole either in a long console of a short. The one for the short had to clear the ash tray I believe and it has like two ears on one end. The 3 speed and 4 speed long console version had just a radius on all four corners. 

I think that they only did a repo of the short console style and you have to cut the ears off for long console.

I did have pics but they are lost right now on dead computer. 

I know nothing about the repo boots for the shifter.

Back