Which stripes you like more; 1971-72 or 1973 Mach 1?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the hockey stripes, but they are also available as an option on other models than Mach 1's. The 73 Mach 1 stripe is unique for the Mach 1 and makes it stand out!

On the bright color(White/Yellow/Lime) I like the 73 stripes. On the medium colors(blue/red/green) I like the hockey stripes. On the dark colors(black/blue) I like the C stripes.

I like them both BUT as a "Modifier" I do not plan on using either on the repaint of "Fire" (my '73 Mach 1). I went with the "hockey stripe" on "Ice", my '73 Grande but will be going with something totally different for "Fire."

That is part of the "beauty" of owning a Mustang, you can do whatever YOU like as far as graphics or anything else:).

BT

I like how on the 73's the word "Mach 1" is in the trunk decal, but I prefer the 71-72 side stripes.

Hockey stick, and here's why: because the '71-3 body style looks best with the area below the bottom crease blacked out, and that looks better with the hockey stick than with the 73 stripe. That said, my cars have always had the '73 stripe so far.

I like the 71-2 stripes better, probably because my first Mustang was a 72 Mach 1, but think the 73 stripes belong on a 73. Whenever I see a 73 with 71-72 stripes, the first thing I think is "Hey, he put the wrong stripes on it".

Steve
My car is a 73 and came with the 71-72 stripes from the factory....since it was an option....

I like the 71-2 stripes better, probably because my first Mustang was a 72 Mach 1, but think the 73 stripes belong on a 73. Whenever I see a 73 with 71-72 stripes, the first thing I think is "Hey, he put the wrong stripes on it".

Steve
My car is a 73 and came with the 71-72 stripes from the factory....since it was an option....

And that could be correct if listed on the invoice but only for the convertible (03)or hardtop (04) and it required the Decor Group option to be selected. There are a few threads about Decor Group that also address this with some pics.

Many years ago I lost a bet over this very fact. :whistling: Boy was I WRONG.

Of course you guys know I prefer them as they came as new. I really appreciate when someone has kept their car with correct striping = how it came from Ford. (ULTRA RARE). If your desire is to go customized/modded - guess it doesn't matter.

Still learning.

Ray

I like them both, and have had both on my car, but ultimately decided to go hockey stripes - I thought they looked better with the Boss 351 style hood paint. However, I really don't care for the black rocker paint as it makes the car look like it's too "skinny" in my opinion. So, I found a neat way to tie the hockey stripes into the chin spoiler. It's probably been done before, but I dig it.

I have great respect for those the keep their cars original, but I need to express my creativity. ::thumb::

No stripes!

attachment.php

No stripes!
Yeah, my 71 Mach 1 came without stripes, too. According to the original owner, the Ford dealer added the white pin stripe and forward front fender Boss 351 decals at his request. Don't see many Mach 1s without stripes these days.

Your car looks fantastic!

Imported Photos 00005.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
LOVE the sport caps! ::thumb::

Just like cars with 'no stripes,' you hardly ever see sport caps anymore, either. I like to think mine came with sport caps (rather than the dog dishes), so I snagged a set of sport caps from Kurt (CudaK888) and kept mine with no stripes. The Marti Report didn't say what wheels it had, so that's how I see it (since it would've had some kind of wheel covers if it didn't come with Magnums). Here's a shot going back together:

attachment.php

I'm thinking I'll just 'keep it clean' without the spoilers as well.

Frankcarshow2015-2.jpg

I gotta get some new pics. :shootself:

LOVE the sport caps! ::thumb::

Just like cars with 'no stripes,' you hardly ever see sport caps anymore, either. I like to think mine came with sport caps (rather than the dog dishes), so I snagged a set of sport caps from Kurt (CudaK888) and kept mine with no stripes. The Marti Report didn't say what wheels it had, so that's how I see it (since it would've had some kind of wheel covers if it didn't come with Magnums). Here's a shot going back together:

attachment.php

I'm thinking I'll just 'keep it clean' without the spoilers as well.

I gotta get some new pics. :shootself:
Thanks man.

I agree.

Your car is looking good!

Back