Who drives it?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spike Morelli

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 ram air 351c H-code, fmx, ps,pb, medium yellow-gold, hubcaps and beauty rings.
O.K., I'm married, I've owned my '71 Mach since well before I married my wife, and, it is my only car. My wife is on her third vehicle since we married and now has a brand new 2019 Ford Edge which she loves, and drives everyday. I have driven her Edge occasionally, and, although she thinks my car is "tough" looking, she doesn't feel comfortable to drive my Mach and has rarely ever done so, even though it is in restored condition. My question is......How many of you out there have spouses who drive your car, or even want to drive your car?

Last edited by a moderator:
My car is a Boss 351, 4 speed and no A/C...my wife has no desire to drive it. When we were first married in 1973 we had only one car, a 72 Mach 1 and she drove that one. It was a automatic with A/C.

My wife can't drive a manual trans, and that's of course what all my cars have. lol '71 Mach 1 429 CJ-R 4 speed, '85 Ferrari Mondial 3.0L gated 5 speed, '03 Saab 9-3 2.0T 6 speed. hehe

My wife and both daughters drive my Mach 1 with a 4 speed and the Model A with an auto trans. My youngest probably has put the most miles on the Mach 1 because she drove it to high school......

Thanks, Jay

My wife Kathleen can drive our 69 428 scj 4 speed manual steering, manual drum brake mustang quite well. She was real proud of the 2 strips she left all the way down our street! And can't wait to get in the 71 when its done.

She used to a bit, a 4 speed Q code with 3.50 gears. Since the swap to the 427 Windsor and Tremec 5 speed she has zero interest. She prefers her 2017 Boxster S it seems.

Ah Ha, I am not married now but when I did get married years ago I parked the Mach 1 with rice still inside the car. Why because she wrecked every car she has ever driven some more than once. She was killed in one crash and they brought her back. I have never counted them up but I think 12 different crashes. Some people are not able to drive, she was one.

She hit ice one day in the 1984 20th. Ann. Mustang we got new. Of course she was going to steer the wrong way to recover from the spin and my son started yelling to turn the other way and she did. He knew better than her how to drive but he raced karts from age 8 to 16 on dirt. BTW I had to cut the whole front off the car once and replace and then she crashed again and back on frame machine again.

She even broke 3 gear in a top loader once.

Second wife same way crashed ever car she ever owned.

If you want some laughs go watch this video on youtube of women drivers. Not all women are bad. Knew an older lady that use to race on the board tracks up north. I think she even drove on Indy. when it was boards. She drove into her 90's and never had a problem. Most hesitate too much and never have a back up plan.

My wife will not drive my cars.  Her ex was a real D-Bag, and she never really recovered from some of the things from that bad marriage.  She has her car, and won't drive any of mine.  Has all of the excuses covered, too.

Jeep - too big, and is a standard (can't drive a stick).

Ram - too big (she's afraid of it).

Mustang - won't drive it because she's afraid of hurting it somehow.

I don't have an issue with my wife driving the Mach 1, in fact, I think she looks pretty sexy driving it. It's her...…...she feels the car sits too low... ( it sits at stock height), she thinks the brakes should be better...( the brakes work fine, albeit they're not like modern car brakes feel)…..she thinks the hood is too far out there....( so , that's just how it is), she says the rear visability is poor....( I guess she never had a van, I had a chopped '34 Ford coupe that had a mailslot for a rear window ). Basically, my wife digs how the car looks, but she like everything else about a new car. That's ok, I love the both of 'em….my wife and my Mach, I wouldn't trade in either for a new model.

My wife can barely drive her mini van. The Mustang scares the pants off her. Grateful for that arrangement. She loves to ride along with, so she's my cruising partner.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife will not drive my 73 and rarely rides in it, but she loves driving my 2004 automatic Mach 1.The original owner of my 73 was a girl I dated about 5 years from high school on. I talked her into buying the 73 convert when new. She was leaning towards buying the Grande, but I talked her into the convert. I bought from her in 1974 when it was 8 months old. So my wife thinks its a shrine to my old girlfriend.

Back