Who is interested in roll cage and sub frame connectors twice as strong as 4140?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The suppliers of DOM tube now have the Domex and is in stock. As far as a metric bender they do make. The one I was looking at getting is strictly for someone like me just doing their own work. I was looking at the Pro-  Tools 105 bender if I remember right goes to 2 1/2" dia. I did send them an email and they do support metric round but not square or rectangle at this time. The dies come in different versions some to to 180 deg. bends. I would never need that capability.
Another material I have never understood why it did not take off is Tegris. It was developed by Milliken in Spartanburg, S.C. They have a strictly R&D area with 12 separate labs working on pure research. The Tegris was used in the front splitters on the NASCAR racers it looks like the cheap tarps but is stronger than carbon fiber and lighter than aluminum. One of the huge issues with carbon fiber in a race car is when you crash it makes thousands of sharp pieces like needles so lots of clean up or lots of flat tires.
When I was working they came to our plant since were were just miles away and wanted to know if we would be interested in helping them develop uses in the automotive world.
They have a walk of fame at their facility. One of the items using the Tegris was kayaks you could pick up with one finger and way stronger than fiberglass or plastic.
So this was 10 years ago now. I took an old draw die we had with nitrogen system that could be adjusted to any force up to about 30 tons. We had an old LDH, Limiting Dome Height test machine. It has a standard die with draw beads and you have a die that cuts the blanks. The machine draws a cup up to the point of splitting and records the data. So with Aluminum being used more and more we did layered aluminum and Tegris. Milliken did all the research in the adhesive and how it was laminated. I rebuilt the draw die to simulate like the ribs in a pick up truck bed.
Using the LDH machine for testing samples they settled on what mix of type aluminum, layers of Tegris and type of adhesive. 3-M was involved there a lot. We could form a part that was stronger that steel or just aluminum but was lighter than just aluminum. About the time I get fed up with the politics in mfg. and retired early at 62.
I went to their site and it has made it's way into tires, hoses and other items in cars. At one time the Indianapolis racing series was going to require it to be use in the bodies to get the carbon fiber off the tracks.
Here is link to their web site. Would be great for spoilers and such. https://textiles.milliken.com/products/tegris
One of my jobs in the past I had to page through all the new patents issue to see if there was anything we might be interested ir or something we would make better and work around the patents. This was about 1985 and at that time its was like 93% of all products that got patents were never made. Most companies do not patent items unless chemical or electrical too easy to build something better if a mechanical item.
What sucks now is I hurt my back about two weeks ago putting door on the Q vert. I have done nothing for two weeks and gave up and went to Dr. yesterday and he is going to do a round of Prednizone to see if pain will ease off but I doubt it. I can hardly turn my head or lift my arms or pain is unbearable. So I might be out of the car hobby soon.

David, not everybody believes in, or trust Chiropractors, but as someone who has had some back pain issues, mainly from my past power lifting competition days, along with doing stupid stuff, I have had great relief from Chiropractic and acupuncture. I personally don't go to Dr's for pain relief if I can avoid it, they just pump you up with pills and short term relief. Your choice of course, but all I'm saying is there may be an alternative to pain pills.

Reading all your posts, you have had a varied and interesting life, don't give up on your dreams with your Mustangs just yet.

Wishing you all the best moving forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Dr's. here never give pain pills. If Ibuprofen doesn't do it you just bite your lip. When I had surgery back in fall they did not even give any pain meds. My discs are herniated and pushed out. Yes if you are in traction it pulls the bone off the nerve for temp. pain relief. They say screws and plates will be only long term relief.
I lived and worked in China for 17 months. While there the government had started to discourage citizens from doing acupuncture. They had specials on TV with info.
Prednisone is only meds he has me on to calm down the nerve irritation some. At least I can turn my head now and not cringe. I do wish I had a hot tube to soak in. A good friend has on on her back porch but she is in medical and we are staying apart due to Covid.

The Dr's. here never give pain pills. If Ibuprofen doesn't do it you just bite your lip. When I had surgery back in fall they did not even give any pain meds. My discs are herniated and pushed out. Yes if you are in traction it pulls the bone off the nerve for temp. pain relief. They say screws and plates will be only long term relief.
I lived and worked in China for 17 months. While there the government had started to discourage citizens from doing acupuncture. They had specials on TV with info.
Prednisone is only meds he has me on to calm down the nerve irritation some. At least I can turn my head now and not cringe. I do wish I had a hot tube to soak in. A good friend has on on her back porch but she is in medical and we are staying apart due to Covid.
 Ah I see. It is unfortunately worse than I'd hope for you. Muscle spasms, pinched nerves, pulled or strained muscles are one thing, herniated discs are another. I hope you find relief moving forward, so wishing you all the best.

Back