Who is running a 17" or bigger wheel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if the same tires in 17x9 would fit?
That will depend on backspacing. From memory my 18x9s clear using a 1/2" spacer but there is still quite a bit of wheel over the end of the control arm. I don't know for sure but I think to get suspension clearance on the 17x9 would push the wheel/tire out too far.  I hope that makes sense. 

All,

After further research, really always continuing, I was looking into taller sidewalls for the 17 inch rims. This is now not a valid resolution. If you look at the mustangs that had the factory 17 inch wheels and tires, their spring rates and shocks (struts) were adjusted to absorb the bumps and grinds of the road. As Carolina_Mountain_Mustang mentioned, the 71-73 mustangs suspension was designed to use the taller sidewalls for more road bumps and grind absorption.

Possible resolutions:

1: Lower the spring rates of the coil and leaf. Not sure if this possible since it maybe a custom order.

2: Adjustable shocks  Like QA1  Stocker Star Single Adjustable SKU: TS402 - Front  and Rear QA1 Stocker Star Shocks TS601

Eaton Detroit Spring offers a wide variety of front and rear shocks for the 1973 model.

image.png

I would image Eaton Detroit Spring would have to make you a custom set of springs.

Onward to more research.

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it’s worth, I have the late 90s 17” bullitts (as stated above), and they came with a low profile tire stock, as you say. It looked odd on the 72 to me. I replaced with taller profile tires mostly because I wanted to fill out the wheel wells.  With the larger profile tires, people have commented they assumed they were 16s. I kinda like that it makes them look more subtle. 

I didn’t drive it much with the low profile original tires because they were plasticized and I had replaced the suspension (with mild upgrades and stock springs) so the car needed alignment.  I got the larger tires when I got the alignment. As a result I can’t speak to how rough the ride was with the 90s stock low-profile.  But with the larger tires, I think the 17s look better, they fill up the giant wheel wells, and they feel fine to me. 

Although I could see why the models in the 90s had adjusted springs and all with the lower profiles (and lower ride heights...and different suspensions), I would be fairly skeptical if you told me you could tell a difference between the feel of the Bullitts with larger profile tires and the period-correct magnums on my 73.  

FYI, my tire sizes are: 

225/50R17 front (25.9" X 8.9")
And
235/55R17 back (27.2" X 9.3")

A slightly smaller one I considered for the back was the
225/55R17 (26.7" X 8.9")

These are for stock-eye, 4 1/2 leafs in the back. I do have wheel adapters for the bullitts to fit. 

Hello Lazarus,

Nice! I was looking into that direction. Since you have them installed and driven on them, I may again change direction. I have the 245/45-17 all away around and can tell every nook and crannies on the road. Your convertible looking really good! I appreciate the feedback!

What brand tire are they ?

One other thing I don't believe I've seen mentioned is tire pressure. 32 psi no longer fits everything. To get the  correct pressure you need to take into consideration the weight on each tire with the car with full fuel, passengers, and whatever you might carry in the trunk and then look up the load/pressure ranges for that tire size. Just putting in the maximum pressure, as shown on the tire sidewall, will not  give you a good ride or handling, or tire longevity.

Hello Lazarus,

Nice! I was looking into that direction. Since you have them installed and driven on them, I may again change direction. I have the 245/45-17 all away around and can tell every nook and crannies on the road. Your convertible looking really good! I appreciate the feedback!

What brand tire are they ?
Thanks for the compliment on the car brother!  Below is a shot of my two verts together that shows the wheel choices. It was while the 72 was in epoxy primer prior to paint. 

The tires I have on are Firestone Firehawk AS

A few caveats:  I have driven muscle cars since college and have a pretty realistic view of their ride quality. The tires you have on now are wider but not too much lower profile in the front; we may have different springs, shocks, or maybe just different sensitivity in our backsides.   I’d feel awful if I were to give you the impression that these will solve all your problems... but as I said, I don’t think the wheels feel much different than the original magnums on my 73. the rears would give you almost 3/4 inch more profile, for a total diameter of +1.5” so hopefully that would make a difference. 

Also, you do get to a point where tread design and tire structure matter also. My brother used to manage a Firestone and he had recommended these tires as a good all around tire without too stiff a ride. 

56573753-25E3-47BD-9E68-DBB0EE080B1C.jpeg

FWIW - Here's mine running craigslist 20's all around. Sorry don't have great pics as we've been working on it non stop. 20x9.5s in the back with 315/35/20s and 20X8.5s with 255/40/20s up front. With that wide a tire there is still a reasonable amount of sidewall in the back IMO and looks pretty good. The front sidewalls look to thin. It's at stock height so I think lowering an inch or two up there will make that look a lot better. Eventually I'll probably go 18's or 19's with a taller sidewall. 

Personally I'd stay away from 17" wheels unless you know exactly what you want and don't think you will want to tweak the fit as there are just far fewer size options in 17s. 

Also for what it's worth, it handles and rides really good with this setup considering its all stock.

View attachment 48794
I need more photos pleaseeeeee

Back