who makes the best weatherstriping

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdietz

Reaction score
My Car
1971 429scj
Who has the best repo weather stripping out there? I need to replace all of mine. trunk, doors, windows. I hear Steel Rubber has a good reputation. I see NPD has theirs marked as "Concourse Quality". California Mustang lists theirs as "Premium". CJ's does say anything as to quality. NOS is available at a hefty price but I thought I read where someone bought a NOS piece only to find out after 40 years in a box it was dry rotted, so I am a little concerned about that.

What have you all had success with as being the closest match to the factory fit?

I have not replace any of the weather stripping yet but I did replace the front of the door window seals and rear quarter latch pillar seal on my convertible. I picked them up from NPD. They where both Daniel Carpenter reproductions. The holes lined up fine and they fit well.

John J

When I spent a decent amount of money on my convertible top weather stripping about 20 years ago I did not get a very impressive product.

Fortunatly I drive when the weather is nice, usually with the windows down and the top down. If I heard of some good repo for the top I would probably go for a new set.

bdietz,

Looks like Scott Drake Manufactured weather strips would be the ones to use. They provide the material they use to make their weather strips. I could not find any information on the material used on Daniel Carpenters weather strips. Please read the section on the EPDM rubber.

Also, IMO, the Re-pop stuff is not that good. The last time I installed it, it did not make even 4 years of being outside.

http://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com/Store/Product/D1ZZ-6520530%2f1A.aspx?wid=141

Made from the finest E.P.D.M. rubber, these sponge extrusions have transfer molded ends like the originals. These are not glued and feature the correct cross section and size for proper sealing.

EPDM rubber

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPDM_rubber

The use of EPDM in Roofing is becoming more and more popular, due not only to the fact that it makes for an excellent waterproof membrane, but also because of its superior resistance to hot and cold. This allows it to last longer because it can resist the damage done by UV and temperature fluctuations very well.

mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Drake purchased all his rubber stuff.

Carpenter has all the original equipment like was used to make the originals. I will be replacing my vert A post seals soon and intend to get Carpenter made seals. Sounds like that is what Don carries.

Any NOS soft rubber is likely to be dry rotted. I have some of the rear side window rubbers that are NOS and still good. If you cannot personally inspect NOS don't buy them. I sold some econoline door seals the other day NOS Ford from 1974 they were cracking but the buyer had them in his hand and loved them. They were still in the box so NOS does not mean GOOD for sure.

David

Even though Carpenter has the original tooling, what is the make of the materiel that is being extruded? Does It have the superior resistance to hot and cold? Can it resist the damage done by UV and temperature fluctuations? It would be good to know. This would help in making the best decision per your $$$'s!

mustang7173

Would probably be a good ideal to call Dennis Carpenter and ask about the type of rubber used. That's how his business started and they've been at it for a long time. When we were notified that Ford was discontinuing all 65-73 Mustang and 55-57 T-Bird parts, Dennis Carpenter was named as the company to receive Ford's tooling and dies for the Mustang parts. Also believe David (Carolina_Mountain_Mustang) had a earlier post about people having a hard time closing their trunk lids because the weather strip would not crush properly. The Carpenter offering has the small vent holes like the original Ford did so it will crush as it should. I have a NOS trunk weather strip that has the vent holes and a off brand one a friend gave me that he didn't use and it doesn't have the holes. Our on site member/vender Don (Ohio Mustang Supply), handles Carpenter's weather-strip products. Give him a call as you can trust him to give you an honest answer. After all, it's your money!!

Edit: I researched further, he does use EPDM

bdietz,

Looks like Scott Drake Manufactured weather strips would be the ones to use. They provide the material they use to make their weather strips. I could not find any information on the material used on Daniel Carpenters weather strips. Please read the section on the EPDM rubber.

Also, IMO, the Re-pop stuff is not that good. The last time I installed it, it did not make even 4 years of being outside.

http://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com/Store/Product/D1ZZ-6520530%2f1A.aspx?wid=141

Made from the finest E.P.D.M. rubber, these sponge extrusions have transfer molded ends like the originals. These are not glued and feature the correct cross section and size for proper sealing.

EPDM rubber

The use of EPDM in Roofing is becoming more and more popular, due not only to the fact that it makes for an excellent waterproof membrane, but also because of its superior resistance to hot and cold. This allows it to last longer because it can resist the damage done by UV and temperature fluctuations very well.

mustang7173
Scott Drake makes very little for our cars

While they may make their own w-strip for 65-8 - possibly even for

69 and 70 - I'll bet the 71-3 stuff they sell is Daniel's

Also beware of Summit and other dealers branding everything under the Drake label - a lot of it is just that ... a label

Daniel's w-strip is EPDM

Daniel is the first company that that gave a crap about 71-3 parts. He listened to me when I said something needed to be made, he had it made or at least did a cost work up on it.

As for Repops... well it's the only game in town for 71-3 beltlines

I bought all Daniel Carpenter weather stripping for my restoration, including the kit for their convertible top weather strip pieces. The window felt kit is by Re-Pops, USA made.

bdietz,

EPDM rubber

mustang7173

Also beware of Summit and other dealers branding everything under the Drake label - a lot of it is just that ... a label

Daniel's w-strip is EPDM

Daniel is the first company that that gave a crap about 71-3 parts. He listened to me when I said something needed to be made, he had it made or at least did a cost work up on it.

Don,

I have gone through the Carpenter factory it is like a maze. They just keep adding buildings as products come out. He has a display of NOS Ford parts that he used to pull dimensions for his products. When Ford saw he was doing a good job they gave him more of their tooling and information. Of course they get their percentage of the sales for doing so I am sure. I don't think Ford gives out a License for free.

As good as his parts are I did have issue with his 1950 Ford hood and trunk emblems. He made them with two screw posts for install. The originals had three plastic posts with push on spring nuts that were impossible to get off. Some of the originals had the two posts but most had the three.

I hope the EPDM is stronger than the membrane you put on a roof. I put a new EPDM one piece roof on my camper last year. It will tear at nothing. Neighbor had a small tree branch fall on his and put a big rip in it.

Spreading the word for good suppliers will help everyone in the Forum.

David

bdietz,

EPDM rubber

mustang7173

Daniel's w-strip is EPDM

Don,

I have gone through the Carpenter factory it is like a maze. They just keep adding buildings as products come out. He has a display of NOS Ford parts that he used to pull dimensions for his products. When Ford saw he was doing a good job they gave him more of their tooling and information. Of course they get their percentage of the sales for doing so I am sure. I don't think Ford gives out a License for free.

As good as his parts are I did have issue with his 1950 Ford hood and trunk emblems. He made them with two screw posts for install. The originals had three plastic posts with push on spring nuts that were impossible to get off. Some of the originals had the two posts but most had the three.

I hope the EPDM is stronger than the membrane you put on a roof. I put a new EPDM one piece roof on my camper last year. It will tear at nothing. Neighbor had a small tree branch fall on his and put a big rip in it.

David
Ford does not give him any tooling he buys it.

Ford requires trade mark licenses, it has nothing to do with quality control.

The w-strip has been EPDM for 10 - 15 years now

Don,

What have you seen if the field with the Re-Pop felt kit? My first kit did not make 4 years. I mean by it dry rotted, cracked and broken off along the side windows.

Re-Pops warranty is vague too.

Lifetime Warranty

Montco Mfg., being represented by its registered trademark, REPOPS, guarantees its reproduction window weather-strip and glass run channels to be AMERICA'S MOST EXCELLENT REPRODUCTIONS. All reproductions being manufactured with the best and closest to original appearing materials currently available. We guarantee our FELTKITS brand name window weather-strip and glass run channels to look, perform, and last like the original parts that came on your vehicle. "LIFETIME" being defined as the lifetime that the purchaser owns the vehicle that the registered part is installed upon. No Transfers will be accepted.

REGISTRATION: ONLY FELTKITS brand window weather-strips and glass run channels that have been registered within 30 days of purchase will be warranted.

All registrations must be made using the form attached to the warranty. Montco Mfg. reserves the right to refuse any warranty that appears to be fraud or fictitious in any manner, including conditions where a part appears to be damaged by improper installation or abuse during its use, but not excluding any other circumstances other than normal wear and tear due to age and usage.

" last like the original parts that came on your vehicle." How long is this? 10 years? 15 years?

mustang7173

Don,

What have you seen if the field with the Re-Pop felt kit? My first kit did not make 4 years. I mean by it dry rotted, cracked and broken off along the side windows.

Re-Pops warranty is vague too.

Lifetime Warranty

Montco Mfg., being represented by its registered trademark, REPOPS, guarantees its reproduction window weather-strip and glass run channels to be AMERICA'S MOST EXCELLENT REPRODUCTIONS. All reproductions being manufactured with the best and closest to original appearing materials currently available. We guarantee our FELTKITS brand name window weather-strip and glass run channels to look, perform, and last like the original parts that came on your vehicle. "LIFETIME" being defined as the lifetime that the purchaser owns the vehicle that the registered part is installed upon. No Transfers will be accepted.

REGISTRATION: ONLY FELTKITS brand window weather-strips and glass run channels that have been registered within 30 days of purchase will be warranted.

All registrations must be made using the form attached to the warranty. Montco Mfg. reserves the right to refuse any warranty that appears to be fraud or fictitious in any manner, including conditions where a part appears to be damaged by improper installation or abuse during its use, but not excluding any other circumstances other than normal wear and tear due to age and usage.

" last like the original parts that came on your vehicle." How long is this? 10 years? 15 years?

mustang7173
REGARDING REPOPS BELTLINE W-STRIP KITS

I have heard complaints that the w-strips are not as wide as the originals.

But they are modeled after the early 71 that used the supplement strip.

Most people don’t want to spend the extra on the supplements.

I have not had issues with dry rot.

As for any manufacturer warrantees... well most are going to want you to take the

part off and send it back. Then they will inspect it. You pay shipping.

I have never looked at the repops warrantee card – so if you didn’t send it in, no warrantee.

In some cases what good is it – if they replace one of your beltlines, they won’t match the other three.

Then you have vendor warrantees – laurel mountain mustang comes to mind here. I use to get it all the time. He

offered life time warrantee on suspension parts. How will that work for his customers now?

Sometimes the manufacturer wants the vendor to handle warrantees. That use to be OK as you had customers who

did their whole car with you. You knew them and their parts. Nowadays some customers can’t remember who they bought

stuff from the last time, it was whoever popped up on the computer first.

I have had returns and the receipt was not mine

Also if you got four years out of the beltlines I think they exceeded the life expectancy of a new 71 Mustang.

I think they were made to last three years

REGARDING DCMR W-STRIPS NO PROBLEMS OF LATE

Did have length issues on 71 door w-strips years ago - they fixed that

Daniel's w-strip is EPDM

Don,

David
Ford does not give him any tooling he buys it.

Ford requires trade mark licenses, it has nothing to do with quality control.

The w-strip has been EPDM for 10 - 15 years now
When we use to scrap Ford tooling it just went to the scrap yard for little of nothing. The tools for all the grills for Galaxie cars of the 60's went to scrap yard in Spartanburg, S.C. We made the tail light bezels for the 63. You can reproduce any Ford part made as long as it doesn't have the Ford name or a trademarked logo on it. If you make something with the name Mustang or Ford on it the FBI will be knocking at your door. I am sure Ford probably did not charge much more than scrap price. They saw GM starting to support there collectors by getting the old tooling to someone that could still run it. Gerstenslager one of your Ohio companies, is probably the biggest in the after production of body panels. They had most of the 65 Mustang and I never understood why Ford chose to scrap the tooling instead of keep making panels. One of my tool makers came from Gerstenslager and he told me horror stories of when the Z-28 2-4 cowl induction hood tooling was scraped. The scrap price for the mixed up castings is nothing even less than for a scrap car per pound.

One that I have never got answered is how people make the GT-350 side stripes for the 1984 20th. anniversary and say they are licensed from Ford. Shelby owned the Trademark rights to the GT-350 and when they used it on the 20th. Ann cars he sued them and won. I was sent communications from Shelby's attorney asking lots of questions since I bought one new. When I got the letter I went to the local Ford dealer and Ford had already taken them out of the parts order. I had the dealer buy every set that was already at dealers and got 25 of them. I have been selling on eBay for about 4 times what I paid for them some on there now.

Something like the console would not have required any license from Ford since no logo involved.

Tooling gets scraped every day somewhere. The front and rear parts run the longest since most crashes are there. Ford would notify us that they wanted a one time run and buy of a service part then scrap the tooling. Pictures had to be taken going to the scrap yard.

Crazy to car guys but that is how tooling is Ford is not in the parts restoration business.

David

To get back to the original question, IMO and experience, if Daniel Carpenter is making it, his product is the best chance of it fitting and performing as it should.

Bill, as you well know opinions will be varied on almost any subject from what's really in Area 51, politics, and in our case, who has the best (fill in the blank) parts.

Regardless of how he acquired them, Carpenter has a substantial amount of Ford tooling, and that is no accident. His Ford Original tooling and officially licensed manufactured parts have been a blessing to all Ford enthusiasts looking for that special part.

I have compared a lot of my NOS parts against Carpenter parts and they look really good. He does use Ethylene Propylene-Diene Monomer (EPDM) rubber on trunk and door weather-strips.

If your ever in the area (Charlotte/Concord) you really need to visit his facility. He is 1 1/2 miles north of the Charlotte Motor Speedway. I can promise you will be amazed. And no I'm not on his payroll. My dealer owner has a barn full of "Toys" so I was constantly looking for "things". I know what junk looks like and I can guarantee I spent of large sum of his money on a lot of it. Since Carpenter has 15 Ford

related catalogs I was able to spend a VERY large sum of his money with them. (Sure was fun to purchase large quantity's of parts and not cost me anything)!

Bottom line is....yes I would purchase the Carpenter manufactured products. :)

This is a very good discussion.

Thanks to all

Looks like I will have to do a little more research.

Back