Why a 71,72,73?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Sportsroof. Currently a work in progress!!!
I was wondering why you'd pick a 71 - 73 Mustang?

I never fancied myself a Mustang guy. I didn't really care for the early Mustang, unless it was a fastback, 2+2.

In fact a few years back when I was finally decided I wanted to restore a car again, after 20 years, I went searching for something cool. I saw an ad for a 1970 Mustang up in Phx, AZ and drove up to look at it. I fell in love it and drove the 6 cylinder back to Tucson. I got hooked after that - anything 1969 - 1973 I liked - even the coupes and Grandes.

I swapped out the 250 for a bored .030 302 and due to someone rear ending it - all new paint and body work. I raced it at the local drag strip, showed it a bunch of times. Eventually sold it.

That was a few years ago.

I went looking for another project and was thinking a sleeper like a 60's Ford - two door anything or a MOPAR, really it could have been anything. When I came upon my '73 I knew it had potential and I love that body style and the price was right.

Did you have a reason for picking a 71-73 Stang or did it just happened?

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine kind of just happened. I was one month shy of my 16th birthday and looking for a car. I wanted a 240z but dad said I couldn't by one. I was looking at the early mustangs as well. I really liked the look of the 67 fast back. A friend was selling his 73 Mach 1. Love at first site and the price was right. When it got wrecked I checked out a few 69/70 but the convertible became available and I had some parts from the Mach 1 so I went with the convertible.

I wasn't determined to find a 71, but the price was within range. Before the 71, I had a 67 (first car), a 70, and a 69. Since Peche 71 came along I added Peche 73 last year. I like the larger body, and the fact that they aren't that common, so when people see one that looks good, it really turns some heads.

71s just seem to find me. I had a 70 mach 1 that was just a rust bucket. I picked up my 71 Grande because the price was rite. After that my wife and I went threw several Fox Body's. My father in law bought the 71 Mach as a mid life project. After loosing interest it he gave it to me. I was originally going to sell it and find a 69-70 Mach 1. Over the years 71-73s have really grown on me to the point that I wouldn't want anything else.

My '73 kind of found me too i guess in a way.

When i started tuning into the123's around 2009/10, they grew on me very fast. I fell in love with the '73 Convertibles, and the rest is history. I really have bonded with that car in many ways, and get a big kick out of owning and driving the car.

Greg.:)

I was heading into retirement and wanted a car to toy with again. In my early days I worked over a 64 (327/365) and a 68 (350/350) Corvette that were sold to fund a Suburban as the family grew. I wanted something to play with yet not pay a pile of initial cost. I knew nothing about the 71-73's. My brother in law had a neighbor with a 73 Mach 1 who was going into foreclosure on his house, business failing, etc. He needed money. I requested pictures, VIN and price. The owner confirmed matching numbers and a pile of receipts (that ultimately totaled $22K). I bought it sight unseen (an original SoCal car) whilst I was working in Korea. This was ~ 2 years ago. It is a 4 speed Q code with PS, PB, A/C, fold down seat, etc. Short of the suspension/steering all has been rebuilt. Retired, I now have it apart to correct this. I am enjoying wrenching on a car again and more than please with the purchase.

A 71 parked near me at the airport everyday and it started to grow on me. I was looking for a 69, but the prices were getting more than I wanted to spend. Looked at a 69 the week before and for $6500.00 I could get a rusted shell. Found a 72 on craigslist and made a deal on it.

I was never a big 71-73, fan even in high school. But when I starting looking I wanted a vert with red/black combo and happen to see a 73 with the combo that I wanted...

I'm a big guy and looked at a few 60's coupes when I was younger and just didn't fit in them. I stared looking at 71-73 and loved the look and size of them and have wanted one ever since. I had a 73 fastback for a while and ran out of money and the wife wanted her spot in the garage back so it had to go. Hoping to close the deal on a 72 convertible in the next few weeks that's in much better shape.

My Mom had a friend in one of her college classes (Utah Technical College - now Salt Lake Community College) that had a Grabber Yellow '71 Mach 1 I fell in love with when I was 14. He drank a bit too much one weekend at a class 'picnic' he'd taken me to for some reason and let me drive us home - Game Over.

Fast forward to July 2010 where I was Jonesin' for hot rod project after my pal Jim found his '63 1/2 Galaxie 500 XL, and I saw this on Craigslist:

schlep1.jpg

Against my better judgment and apparent lack of math skills, I bought it thinking it would be cheaper than buying a $40K 2010 Camaro 2SS. :shootself:

Wouldn't change a thing, though. ::thumb::

When i decided i wanted a Mustang i went to see the Mustang i have now and after crawling underneath and finding a virtually rust free car i could'nt walk away and i bought it on the spot there and then. I consider myself fortunate to have landed so lucky. After pulling the back seat out today i found 2 one cent coins or pennies as i call them i know they are definately 2 lucky pennies :D

I've had my 73 convertible since 1974 and liked the looks with the Decor option. It was supposed to be the last year for Mustang convertibles so I though it might have some future value so I took very good care of it.

I wasn't looking for a particular car. I had been a fan of American cars since I was a little kid so I knew I was gonna try and own one someday. I found mine in the local classifieds and went to look at it and although I did not like it at first I still bought it. Don't ask me why.

It grew on me later and when I decided to have it redone I made it just the way I wanted it. So it is no longer just a 71,2,3 Mustang but it's MY 72 Mustang and I don't even care that it's s Mustang. It's just MY car, the way I wanted it.

Good luck!!!

I'm a big guy and looked at a few 60's coupes when I was younger and just didn't fit in them. I stared looking at 71-73 and loved the look and size of them and have wanted one ever since. I had a 73 fastback for a while and ran out of money and the wife wanted her spot in the garage back so it had to go. Hoping to close the deal on a 72 convertible in the next few weeks that's in much better shape.

Easy for me. I am 6-5" and I knew the 71-73 were just larger and I would have chance to fit in them.

I took a ride in a 73 coupe to go camping, and a year later when I bought my first car, I didn't even have to think about it. Bought a 73 Grande and it was the best car ever! My buddies had a Challenger, Firebird, and Monte Carlo, but they couldn't keep up with the Grande so that cemented it in me.

Scott

I saw a 7123 Mach 1 at a car show in Australia once and loved it. Later when I had some money leftover (this happened once in my life ;-) ) I decided I'd treat myself to something out of the ordinary and started looking for a hot classic. I found a nice Charger but it was in the UK. Then I came across my 73 Grande and bought it. 73 is also my birthyear and now I want to collect more from that year... I can dream right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back