Why can’t I see out ??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Various
I love my 1971 351C … apart from one thing …I’d like to see out of the thing…I was born with optical enhancements called “eyes”.

The stylist for Ford at the time, in his false wood paneled office at Dearborn, sometime in 1970, woke up one morning and said; 

“I know, I have nothing else better to do this morning...what I’ll do today is redesign the Ford Mustang and give it a new look… I’ll make the nose 4 miles long, make it as wide as a bus and give it a 14° fastback rake and for good measure nail a spoiler to the back.” ::thumb::

Then, after a few sketches, he got the styling team to create his masterpiece in 1:1 in clay

“Hmmmm.. I like the way this looks …” The designer ponders a bit examining the clay model  :chin:

“Ahhh  :jawdrop:  …the driver can easily see out the front, but needs some assistance regarding looking rearwards”

After thinking about it over a coffee comes up with a real epiphany... “ Eureka!” he exclaims       

“I can nail a door mirror here…a door mirror there… and glue a rear view mirror right in the middle of the field of view for the front…YES that’s the job”.

Note from me, the driver.

Hey butt face ...I can see nothing through the two door mirrors – the field of incidence is too narrow – and even if Scarlett Johansson and Sofia Vergara were giving each other oral sex on my rear trunk lid – I wouldn't see a DAMNED THING! :huh:  

Does anyone know how I can improve my rear visibility… just in case the latter were to happen?  :p

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, Owned one since new never had a problem. You don't need to see what is behind you. I use the mirrors when stopped at red light to make sure the traffic is stopping behind me but not much else. If you think the fastback is bad I have a VW Beetle vert and you can see even less.

Camera is easy way out. BTW remember these car and not that much bigger than previous. Here is the an overlay someone did of 70 to 71.

There is some obsolete technology that can help your situation more so than the new stuff. It is called a 'directory'. No longer produced, you might find one on ebay. They fit between the car seat and your seat. Simple, effective, and they are wireless.

As mentioned, the design for our cars was conducted a few years previous to the model year. While our cars were being sold, the Mustang II (Pinto-inspired) Mustangs were being drawn up and designed.

Anyway - our cars are not that wide! Park yours next to a newer 2005 and up Mustang and you will see ours look narrow in comparison.

Back up (rear- mounted) camera is a great option to your original concern.

Ray

I love my 1971 351C … apart from one thing …I’d like to see out of the thing…I was born with optical enhancements called “eyes”. 

Does anyone know how I can improve my rear visibility… just in case the latter were to happen?  :p
 Love your "style"

Yes there is a way to improve your rear vison, or as best as the mirror cases will allow. BUT and no offence to Don at OMS, don't buy the aftermarket convex mirrors made by Scott Drake. They do improve the vision slightly, but not enough. I had the same thought as you, well mostly minus the performance on the back deck lid!

My working background was in Automotive prototyping, so my mind works in ways others usually don't. I look for ways to do it better.

Here are a couple of picture to show what I did to my mirrors. I'll not go into detail right now, but in a nutshell, I increased the size by about 1/2" in width.

PM me if interested and I'll send you size details etc.

Geoff.

PS, the tape was for another member to compare casting sizes, which also seem to vary and needs to be accounted for.

Since my first 71 sportsroof back in '90, I have backed into exactly ONE object. I was going slow and knew it was back there. Sortof an "acoustical parking" thing. I'm also 6'3", so that helps a bit.

The key with these cars is being aware of your surroundings and the cars around you at all times. Merge by passing the car next to you, not by getting in behind him. Scope the spot you're going to park in, when in doubt, find another spot.

FWIW, if you want a real Ford reversing experience, try a 70-71 Torino sportsroof.....

You just need more horsepower. There's no need to look back there... ;) Had a friend with a '73 Mach 1 back in the early 80's. It was jacked up a little in the rear and the back window was perpendicular with the ground. He had sidepipes as well, I'll never forget that. Sidepipes are typically on vehicles like Corvettes and custom vans, but way back you could see them on the occasional "regular" car (Mustang, Camaro, etc.).

I don’t get why so many think it’s hard to see out the back window. I sure don’t think it’s that tough, imo. Kinda hard to see from the passenger side mirror, but like Hemikiller says you just have to be aware of your surroundings. Have to pay a bit more attention when driving my Mach, compared to my truck. But that’s mostly to watch out for all the idiots that drive around here.

LOL, Owned one since new never had a problem. You don't need to see what is behind you. I use the mirrors when stopped at red light to make sure the traffic is stopping behind me but not much else. If you think the fastback is bad I have a VW Beetle vert and you can see even less.

Camera is easy way out. BTW remember these car and not that much bigger than previous. Here is the an overlay someone did of 70 to 71.

This is funny.Known this for 30 plus years! If you put on the louvers, forget it! Maybe the original intent was to go fast and no need to look behind. I agree with you David on this one, look back to make some idiot does not plow in to you! I just drove a 2018 Ford Explorer this morning and, OMG, you can not see out the back of the thing. What are these engineers thinking?

This is funny.Known this for 30 plus years! If you put on the louvers, forget it! Maybe the original intent was to go fast and no need to look behind. I agree with you David on this one, look back to make some idiot does not plow in to you! I just drove a 2018 Ford Explorer this morning and, OMG, you can not see out the back of the thing. What are these engineers thinking?
Louvers have almost zero impact on outward visibility - the slats look like fat defroster lines... nothing more.

It was a bright day, so you're not seeing much of anything, but it should at least illustrate the fact that louvers are not as intrusive as people think.

attachment.php

Look up Wink mirror. They have been around a long time and they do work. Chuck
Wink mirrors are more for the hope of eliminating blind spots and providing as much side-to-side continuous coverage as possible.  I don't think they'd be very helpful with making the rear window gun turret slit view any taller.

This thread was supposed to comedic if you read first post... - but as we are on the subject .... has anyone done this?  - see pic

...if you can tell me how to keep it looking original ... then if Scarlett Johansson and Sofia Vergara decide to give each other a full naked licking out... I'd see it  :p

Back