why did you choose this body style?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the 71 vert was sitting around the corner with a for sale sign on it . with fresh paint and i thought wow that's a mustang how cool is that i could not ever remember seeing a mustang like that, had to have it .but same old story i did not have the cash. my dad loved mustangs so he bought it and drove it for some years .then the motor went south and he parked it .so you know how dads get im tired of that car i don't want that in my way any more i think ill sell it. so i said NO! ill store it at my house . so for a few years it just sat .then one day my dad drove over to my house ,walked up to me stuck out his hand with with the registration in it and said here. i did not know what it was so i took it and he walked away.he had just signed over the 71 to me.it was a gift

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the 70's of it all! Ridiculously huge, (16 ft! I've owned boats smaller.) and the cost point to get in one. They are still reasonable and can only go up in value. If your gonna spend a bunch of money on a hobby, why not be confident that it's gonna be an investment instead of a money-pit? Thanks for the question! It's good to remind myself of that the next time I drop a few hundred dollars!

The car looked so cool and futuristic to me when it came out. Very GT-40ish. Of course I'm talking about the fastback.

The coupe to me is "blah", and I did not appreciate the convertible until I was older.

I have only grown to like the style more as it ages gracefully. Kinda like Sean Connery: No matter how old, outdated and outmuscled he is compared to some younger action stars, he's got a timeless grace and cool-factor that will always keep him popular.

Last edited:
I like to drive my cars, I wanted a convertible and my wife liked Mustangs. After driving several older Mustangs that drove like JUNK, I drove the 73. I'ts like driving a modern car (only better looking) with it's real power steering and brakes. I had a couple of friends who had these cars and really liked them and I do too!

Great stories! Never paid much attention to Mustangs before seeing the movie Diamonds Are Forever. Totally fell in love with that car. Bought a 72 Mach 1 later sold and now I am back with a 71 Mach 1.

I have always felt when I was young the car would always look cool and modern as it got older. I still think it looks so sleek and fast just setting there. I set in my garage sometimes just looking at it thinking how lucky I am to have one of these cars again.

Have not been able to drive it now in three weeks due to rain, that's why I am just a looker right now! :D

I had always had practical family car. Had commuter-mobiles and the requisite minivan. Also a couple of F-150's. I graduated from high school in 73, and I wanted on of these cars so bad, but it just wasn't in the budget. Fast forward 40 years.

My F-150 frame-off resto-mod (http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1181613-86-f150-resto-mod-or-the-mis-adventures-of-el-guapo.html) was gone to bodywork and paint, so I was kind of bored. The wife found a 73 Mustang Coupe on Craigslist. It had some rusted floor pans, but otherwise seemed okay. It ran, and a couple days later, it was mine and I drove it home.

To make a long story short, I caught it on fire cutting out the floor pan, and nearly burned the house down. The car was toast, so after harvesting any parts that I could, it was taken away. Fortunately, one of our members was able to hook me up with a 73 Mach 1 that I'm going to be picking up in 3 weeks. I've not seen it yet, but I know Don is a stand up guy and wouldn't steer me wrong.

So why did I choose the body style for my Mustang. Pure luck. I like them all, so whichever model I wind up with - It's all good.

Mike, your enthusiasm at looking at your Mustang is eerily the same as how I feel: I sometimes sit in the pilot's seat, peering out across the black bulge in the hood, the curvaceous line across the top of the fender and even after all these years I feel like I can hardly believe I am lucky enough to own one of these awesome cars.

Anyone with credit and a bank account can buy a new GT, or even a GT-500 but its not the same. They just keep cranking them out as long as people keep buying 'em.

Our cars are all done: there are no more and never will be again. And the number is only getting smaller day by day, making each still-surviving example evermore the rarity. It makes me feel priveleged and kind of special to know I am a small ( very small!), but vital part of a group of enthusiasts honored with the opportunity to shepard our individual examples into the future for years to come.

Like many if you I have many dozens of big, colorful coffee-table books with lavish pictorials of the greatest old muscle-cars ever made, and as much as I love reading and re-reading those old books over and over...there is nothing in any of those books like lightly running your fingertips over the cool, smooth paint on a fender...a quarter-panel...or a trunk lid you have just waxed.

Fabulous...

The first mustang in high school that I drove was a 72 sprint fast back that we "borrowed" from a friend's dad... The dad just so happened to be out of town and didn't know we were borrowing it! I've been hooked on the 71-73 mustangs since then.

I had a 70 Mustang 351 Sportsroof which I sold to get a nice 69 350 Firebird. Then in 1974 my girlfriend was going to trade-in her 73 convert for a new Mustang II. They did not offer her much in trade so I decided to buy the 73 convert because I loved the look of it and the story was there would never be another Mustang convertible made. I especially liked the Wimbledon White with the black Decor option accents, black interior, and the honeycomb grill. I did have qualms about it only being a six cylinder, but heck, gas was sky high anyway so I bought it and sold the Firebird. I still have the same 73 Convert today!

Always felt they were the next evolotion from the 69/70 Shelbys.

Convertibles are great looking and the Sportsroofs/Mach 1s look like a missle even sitting still.

Beautiful cars.

Now that I'm older I like the sail panels on the hardtops and Grandes that remind me of 1969 XL and Galaxie 500 Sportsroofs.

Ray

Well, mine is a strange story. I had a friend, who had owned a '73 Mach I before I had met him. He had always regretted selling it. He finally found another, this was in the early/mid 80's, and I drove him to pick up the car. When I saw it the first time, I was like "Really?". I couldn't figure out why he was hooked on this type of car. It was solid dark blue (almost black).

I ended up helping him work on the car because I knew how to work on Ford's and he didn't know the business end of a screwdriver. My turning point was a couple years later and we were out of town and he let me drive the car back to Dallas. That was when I realized the the car "fit". I was hooked. I purchased my first Mustang a year or so later and the rest is history.

I chose this body style because I simply felt in love with it :heart:

First the '69 was my dream car but while searching for informations about it I saw more and more '71-73 mustangs and I was beginning to like them more and more. The other Mustangs were looking cool, too. But the only one by which my heart was beating was this one.

I love the long nose and the expression of the front. I love the real muscle look of the car when you look over it from back to front. In comparison of size the older years seem like toys. Technical it is the more advanced car, too. I really love everything about that car!

So that's why I have one...

Tim

Back