why did you choose this body style?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superduty

Reaction score
My Car
Looking at a 1971 sportsroof
I was just wondering why of all the other beautiful mustang bodies, did you choose this body style?

I love the huge fords of the early 70's, thunderbirds and such. It was easy just because its the biggest mustang, and I like the longer hood.

It kinda chose me. I had the cool Tonka toy, a Hot Wheels or Matchbox or two, a neighbor down the street had a coupe, and the first cool car I drove (when I was 14, no less) was a '71 Grabber Yellow H-code Mach 1.

Great question. This body style came out when I was in high school and didn't like it at all. Previously my fav stang was the 69 fastback.

When I started to look for a new toy almost 2 years ago, i happen to see the 71-73 vert in my fav colors and it just grew on me after 40 years and not to kid anyone, the 71-73 vert were also priced less than the other year stangs I was looking at. That plus my wife wanted a 64.5 - 66 in the same color combo, but I wanted something that looked like it had some muscle.

So here I am today and have no regrets.

I bought my 1971 coupe almost 13 years ago when I was sixteen because it was the only musclecar I could afford. I've since found out that meant lots of work and expense, but along the way I have grown really fond of the car.

In 1980 I was about to turn 16. My friend had a Mach 1 that was only, what, 8 years old. He had to sell it. I had been looking at Datsun 240z's but dad told me there was no way he was going to let me buy a *** ***** ** ****. At the time I had a thing for 67 fastbacks and there was also a 65 fastback for sale. But the green Mach 1 appealed to me. It 'felt right'. I still wish it had not been taken out by a drunk turning left in front of me but I do love the convertible I replaced it with.

I was brought home in 1973 in a 73 Sportsroof I was born for these cars!

I like the 67-69 fastbacks, and owned a 68 GT for a while but it was sold in the divorce. While looking for a replacement, I ran across a 71 convertible and fell in love with it. For me it was NASA hood, front grill, body lines, and interior that just speaks muscle. Still not happy with the tail lights but they are growing on me.

Specifically the Mach 1s for me looks like they are doing 120mph while setting still...plus all the same reasons mentioned above.

Like Don said they are fast sitting still. In my introduction I believe I pretty much summed up a lot of why the 73 Mustang is very dear to my heart, I just love this car and even though my first got away and it took many years to get another 1 or two it never left my thoughts.

Kinda by default really

Though my dad is a major gearhead and has been restoring cars and bikes since he was a teenager.....he was more into european cars and japanese bikes, and not really a fan of american cars.

So basically though I'd been talking/bugging him about since before high school. By the time I finally convinced my dad to restore a mustang (when I was in college) 60's mustangs prices were skyrocketing!

Which kinda sucked cause I clearly remember seeing a lot of rough but decent 60's stangs being advertised for like 5-7k when I was in high school.

But anyway 60's mustangs were getting so pricey that we couldn't really afford one of those......the mach just showed up on CL one day, it was cheap, my dad sorta liked it, so we went with it.

hands down the coolest rear or rear 3/4 view of any mustang :cool:

looks fast sitting still. Its interesting how most people love em the young ones think they are very cool, its only really car guys that think only 69s are cool.

beach 2.jpg

I actually did not choose it.

I always had a thing for American cars and I found my car in the classifieds in the local paper.

I knew there were different styles of Mustangs but I had not studied the details.

So I went to look at the car and bought it.

It was only after the fact that I found out I preferred earlier Mustangs.

My favorite to this day is still the 69 fastback and for a while I regretted the purchase of the 72.

It really took me a while but our Stangs really have grown on me after a few years, mostly because of two things: the look I achieved by using the 18 inch rims and the lowering which turned the car from "meh" to "yeah!!" and, second, this great website where we finally get the respect that we deserve.

I like it that they are different, not the standard 65-68 that everybody seems to have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking around to buy another American car around 2010,after not owning one since 1987, the '73 Mustang Convertible stood out to me as a great looking car, The more i tuned into this cars styling, the more it seduced me and i ended up falling in love with the bugger, and just had to have one.

Forgive me Mustang fans, but the only other vert that does it for me on par with the Muzzy maybe, is the '71 Cuda /Challenger verts.Very glad i've got the Mustang though.:)

Greg.:)

My '72 vert sort of chose me. In '99 I was driving down the road and saw it for sale. The car just stuck out so I pulled over and called the number on the window. That day I made an impulse buy and have loved it ever since. Then last summer I decided I wanted to restore a car so I had to decide which one. It was either my Mustang or my '72 Camaro...or find another car. I researched it for few months and decided I already had one of (if not) the best verts made in the muscle car era and it was already a solid car. I couldn't be happier with my decision.

My first purchase in 1979 was a 1971 Mach one. It had been wrecked in the front, and was in need of rear qtrs already, lots of salt on the roads on Mid Missouri back then. Before I even got started on it I found a 69 Mach, 428CJ R code, and fell in love with it. Sold the 71, restored the 69. Then Marriage, Kids, Life, etc... the 69 Mach was NOT a family car so I reluctantly got rid of it. Up until 5 years ago, I always thought that I wanted now another 71-73 since I had one before, but never had it on the road. Then one day, in the middle of no where, I came upon my current 72, had to to get it!

When I returned from Vietnam the first time, I purchased a 1969 Torino GT. I loved that car but got another assignment overseas and was not able to ship it (due to my low military rank at the time) so I gave it to my brother. I was still overseas when the 1973s came out with the rumor that it was going to be the last "real" mustang or Ford performance vehicle.

By this time, I had gained rank and was able to order my "73 Mach 1 through a Ford representative on the base. The car was built to my specifications and shipped to me as an "Export Only" vehicle.

I guess if I was honest, it comes down to the fact that it reminded me a LOT of my '69 Torino:)!

BT

Back