Why did you choose to buy a 71/73 Mustang?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the mid-80's to mid-90's I owned a couple of mid-late 60's Corvette's. I rebuilt/restored them and just enjoyed the experience. The sons came along and the 'vette's became a Suburban (imagine that today...). I was starting to plan retirement a year or so ago and wanted to get back into a car I could using a timing light on.:) I did not care whether it was a Chevy, Ford or Mopar only wanting a rust free car that did not cost an azzload to buy and toy with. Fast forward to six months later when my BIL advised of a neighbor with a pretty nice '73 Mach 1 that he knew had done a lot of work on and hardly drove, an enthusiast. He was also in foreclosure on his home. A rust free SoCal car that turned out to be a factory A/C, PS, PB, 4 speed Q code piece. Hmmm, price? Very, very fair so I agreed sight unseen with only photos supplied. It arrived with a book of receipts that have left me with little to do. A bit of a bummer actually but I am more than pleased. I live/work in Korea so have only seen it twice for a couple of weeks at a time. In a month or so I will retire at 53 and begin to play.

I just stumbled into my '72. Was driving down the road and saw it setting on the corner of a busy street with a price on the window. It looked kind of cool so I stopped and checked it out. I'd never been much of a mustang fan because I always thought of them as the little "secretary" car. Although I always remember the big Gold and Black 7173 Mach 1 that I admired cruising the neighborhood when I was a kid. But this one somehow was a little different, it was a 'vert and I could see sexy body lines so I called the number on it and next thing you know 20 years later I'm still driving and loving it. But I still do love all makes of muscle cars...don't call me the dark side, call me both sides!

:D::beer:::run_horse:::beer:::D

JHawk

When I was 15, my best friend got a 69 H code Mach1, and I fell in love with Mustangs. I wanted a 69 also, but initially found a 71 M code Mach. My Dad was going to help me fix it up, it had been wrecked on the front, needed a new bumper, grill etc. Before we could fix it I found a 69 R Code Mach and HAD to have it. So we fixed it up (really rusty from Michigan) and I sold the 71. After getting married, kids etc, the 69 Mach just was not a suitable car for a family so it had to go. I wish I had it back, but I had decided long ago that if I ever got another Mustang, I would get a 71-73 this time because I never completed the first one. 6 years ago I found the current 72 H Code. Minor rust, southern car. In fact, it was in WAY better shape in 2009, than the 69 was that I bought in 79. Its a driving "restoration in progress" car, that someday hopefully will be complete!

Back