Why did you do it?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang convertible
1974 Z28 camaro
1963 chevy C10
1999 F150 lariat 4X4
That it is the question everyone asks Marvin about his car, to which he replies "because I can". Now for the real story...

I will turn back the clock to WWII Germany when a German Jew escapes the wrath of Hitler, defecting to the US and winds up in Iowa. There he marries, and has several children, one of which was named Marvin. Now Marvin and his father have several business adventures together including a wrecker and crane service, liquor stores, auto shop, and more. One day after work he dropped Marvin off at home and left, little did Marvin know that he would never see his father again as he was killed by a drunk driver. Marvin goes on with his life and ends up in SW missouri where he becomes a doctor. Having his own practice in NW Arkansas, his travels permitted him to find a very special car that he bought some 20 years ago. He tore the "all original" car down but never found time to do what he wanted to it (the same old story) until one day I walk into his office. He asked me what my occupation was and I told him "I restore, and modify old cars"...so guess what I have been doing...LOL. Anyway, the car is almost finished now (well for me anyway). it still has to go to the alignment shop, upholstery shop, stereo shop, and back to me for a final buff, but I thought you guys would like to see this car (even though the only "ford" to it is the front suspension) it is a very cool car that I have enjoyed building. One of my regrets is that he didn't want to spend the money to let me gap and level the doors but it is an "up yours mercedes" driver and not a trailer queen (his words not mine). This is what he say's a mercedes should be.

So here are a few highlights...1954 Mercedes 300B, corvette 3.73 polished rear, chromed mustang rack front, .40 over 400 with 700 R4 trans, custom built powder coated frame, hand made stainless fuel cell, custom headers, and exhaust, fenders were welded up, frenched license plate, and antenna, custom halogen headlights behind the original lenses with LED turn signals inside the headlight, 59 corvette taillights, all stainless steel button head bolts through out, tinted windows, Ididit tilt column, vintage air, custom made wiring, power windows, and more.

Here are some pics of the completed frame, and of the car as it was today...sorry about the water droplets but I gave it a bath before she leaves my shop.

photo 1 (6).JPGphoto 3 (2).JPGphoto 2 (6).JPGphoto 4 (1).JPGphoto 2 (5).JPGphoto 3 (1).JPGphoto 1 (5).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That is really sweet! I would try and fab some retro looking wheels and covers just for the added mystery.

Seriously great retro mod setup! Would a Cleveland fit??? :D

I know to switch would require a completely different setup... But Ford power would also be cool.

Ray

That´s a first class job. Really beautiful.

Definitely not a car I´d like to own, but nonetheless beautiful!

That is really sweet! I would try and fab some retro looking wheels and covers just for the added mystery.

Seriously great retro mod setup! Would a Cleveland fit??? :D

I know to switch would require a completely different setup... But Ford power would also be cool.

Ray
This guy is an avid nascar enthusiast, and a very dedicated corvette lover which is why it has vette parts :dodgy: I wanted to put a newer HEMI in it since daimlerchrysler makes them, I thought it would be cool, but, he wouldn't buy it. I also would have put a 9" ford in the rear but, it's not my ride, and he pays the bills. Another cool part of this story is that the original owner (in Germany) was a doctor too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Work. How long have you been working on it?
I mocked the car up 3 years ago, he played with it for 3000 miles, and I began tearing it down and making changes at the end of 2012. The biggest problem was finding parts...thank God for a great machinist because what I could not build, he had to. you know your in trouble when a door handle costs $400, so thats when you whittle out your own. In fact the windshield was special made in switzerland for it ($2500) plus shipping. The chromer did a fantastic job as well, all the chrome parts were made of brass and he worked magic on those. I will post more pics when the upholstery is complete, and I do the final buff and polish.

Back