WIDE-BODY KIT FROM SCRATCH

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice article!!! But you don't need to do anything to be able to mount 315/35-20 tires to 71 wheelwells. No minitubbing or flares needed - been there done that. Article should be saying that you can mount 345 rears with ease - right???

Nice job though.::thumb::

Nice article!!! But you don't need to do anything to be able to mount 315/35-20 tires to 71 wheelwells. No minitubbing or flares needed - been there done that. Article should be saying that you can mount 345 rears with ease - right???

Nice job though.::thumb::
I wanted to widebody the rear from the start. I figured I could put a ridiculously large tire back there but after months of searching for rims and tires and combining size with performance and not niking a jugular in pricing, I settled for 315's. I wanted 355. No one made a tire that was wider than 315 but with sidewall. I don't like rubber bands for my muscle cars. If there was a Perrelli Pzero rosso 355 in 29" tall I probably would have to mortgage my house.

The difference in price for 345/30 r20 was over $1000/ tire Canadian for Pilots or even more for Pzero and $300 for my 315/35 r20 Nitto Invos. I got four custom offset rims and four rubber for 3800. Not calling the car a budget build but there needs to be some control in my case or I'd go too far.

The same can be said for my choice in upgrading my brakes. The four wheel disc I have now worked great. Not big or slotted or pretty at all. I decided to go to the 13" up front and 12" in back cross drilled and slotted and red powder coated calliper. The rim is very open and I think an upgrade would be nice but 6 piston Willwod or any other system that is made for road racing would be 4 grand and up. What I found is off the shelf replacement Cobra upgrade brakes (2 piston) for 1400. Plenty of stopping power with plenty of bling. Car will be a sweet street machine for me but not an autocross g car. That would be my 68 coupe.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get my mustang monthly digitally through Zinio. I'm thinking it will be identical to the print version though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

image.jpeg

Really nice article my friend!! So cool!!!!

Where have you found those brake kits you are talking about? :)
It's a cobra mustang upgrade. 12" and 11" converted to 13" and 12".

Called Signature Series. A local person here who is also a Pro Comp rep brings them in by the skid load. Ford and Chevy conversions. The kit requires the removal of your front spindles because it uses drum brake spindles. The bearing gets pressed out and the kit bearing gets pressed in. A custom CNC cut bracket is made for the callipers and that's the front. The rear brake only needs the custom calliper bracket he made for a large bearing 9" and that's it. I however have a small bearing 9" so he's adapting the bracket to work for my set up. Now it's just off the shelf inexpensive replacement pads and rotars.

Oh. Good to know. Then the bracket he makes me does the trick.

Thanks buddy. Looks like these cars do exactly what I think they are meant to do. People being people and object bringing them together. I've been teaching my kids that people you love and objects you like- not love. I really like where the car is headed but it wouldn't bring me more than ten seconds of happiness if I were on this planet alone. The real joy is in the interaction. The people on this forum are the best people a person could Never meet lol. Sorry For sounding sappy and no l haven't been drinking heehee. ?
My thoughts exactly. The joy of Recognition comes from fellow gear heads and piers respecting what your doing. Without that , there's nothing. Mags, car shows, cruises, forums, people & friends, all good stuff. Lol. Whatever brings the joy, it's joy, one of life's rewards. Keep up the great work so we can enjoy it too.

image.jpegHappy to be picking up my Fast fuel injection system. First injected muscle car. I'm told I won't go back to carbureted after I get this in the car.

Happy to be picking up my Fast fuel injection system. First injected muscle car. I'm told I won't go back to carbureted after I get this in the car.

Let us know how you like it mate, something I have been weighing up in my mind a long time

I'm the last one to the show among my friends. They all swear by it. Too many perks to overlook they tell me. I don't think I will be firing it up the motor for some time but you can bet you'll get my feed back. Besides, I intend in running a nasty adjustable exhaust set up and I don't want to be running fat or lean and this system will take care of that.

What happend to the edit feature so my grammar can be revised lol.

image.pngI also ordered this Hydramax hydraulic clutch system. Anyone have it in their car. How are you liking it?

Happy to be picking up my Fast fuel injection system. First injected muscle car. I'm told I won't go back to carbureted after I get this in the car.

What made you choose the FAST system over the others?

I also ordered this Hydramax hydraulic clutch system. Anyone have it in their car. How are you liking it?
I had looked at that set up and considered it, but in the past have never been a huge fan of hydraulic clutches when you are dealing with a performance application. I just feel I didn't get the amount of pedal feedback and clutch feel that I wanted and got from a cable set up. It is for sure a lot easier on the old left leg though. I went cable set up on mine. If you go this route let us know what you think. I like the idea and engineering behind this set up as opposed to a separate clutch slave cylinder actuating it though, but if you have a problem then the whole trans has to come out.

BTW. I really like what you are doing with the car. Those lines look fantastic. You do exceptional work for sure!

What made you choose the FAST system over the others?
Hey Chopper.

I already bought a new distributor and 6AL MSD box because in Dec of 2013 when I start the body kit I was going with a carb. set up. The 2.0 version requires the use of their distributor and box all built into the kit which explains the bigger price tag. A friend had put this system on his small block and liked it but this year opted to drop an LS create motor in his ride so I liberated him of this FI system and all the additional fittings for a really great price and still get to make use of my MSD stuff. I think this kit is about $3000 complete but fittings after the fact are also pricy. I paid half that for the kit and fittings. Sometimes your the pigeon and sometimes your the statue......

I also ordered this Hydramax hydraulic clutch system. Anyone have it in their car. How are you liking it?
I had looked at that set up and considered it, but in the past have never been a huge fan of hydraulic clutches when you are dealing with a performance application. I just feel I didn't get the amount of pedal feedback and clutch feel that I wanted and got from a cable set up. It is for sure a lot easier on the old left leg though. I went cable set up on mine. If you go this route let us know what you think. I like the idea and engineering behind this set up as opposed to a separate clutch slave cylinder actuating it though, but if you have a problem then the whole trans has to come out.

BTW. I really like what you are doing with the car. Those lines look fantastic. You do exceptional work for sure!
Thanks for the compliment on the build. I to have a cable set up on my 68. It's the same cable for 10 years. Yes it's stiff but I'm used to it. Not problematic at all and I really push that car. I went with this set up because it's a power steering, power brake car with a sweet stereo, less sparse interior, electric pump, elect. Fan, fuel inj, adjustable exhaust note and so on. Taking a different approach I guess. I want it to perform well but I don't plan on autocrossing with it. I've never had hydraulic before now but car guys I know that have one do like it. I guess I will find out either way. With my luck I will be yanking that tranny more times than I'd like I'm sure. Thanks for your input.

image.jpegToday was another day of testing my will power. I picked up a set of these medium tube headers. I say this because I know long tube are preferred to get max HP but this way I get a good signal for the Wideband O2 sensor being closer to the engine. After all these years Im aiming not to smell like a gas station. Also I get a tighter fit under the car for clearance since we're going low. I don't mind giving up a few hp. To me anything over 400 is good because this car is all about the joy of driving. It's purpose built for the road. Truth be told, with all the big money cars around these parts I've been hearing more complaining about the drivability of these big hp cars than I ever thought I'd hear. It's as if anything under 650hp doesn't get a second look and yet you can't sneak up on the pedal to save your life. It's s catch 22. Lol. You build it like you can't get enough and then it's " why did I go so far". Now, I'm only speaking about what I've seen here in the 40-60 yr olds. At 20 years old you could strap a rocket to my back and I was ready for two. It wasn't easy to pull back since with the same money I could have built a 550 hp screamer, which don't get me wrong, fun!! Just not every day and not in traffic. I drive my cars to my shop and back every nice day for the 6 months of good weather we get. So if I'm down to 425 then I'll have to make sure it hooks ya.

Back