Wilwood master cylinder

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

Reaction score
My Car
1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/408C stroker
Curious if anyone is using Wilwood's master cylinders for power brakes. I am looking at the p/n 260-8555 with 1" bore for power brakes, disc/disc setup. I have a Wilwood 2-piston front caliper and an ElDorado 1-piston rear setup. It says that these have a 2:1 front bias so I am curious how do they perform. I have a rear line proportioning valve that I will use to fine tune.

https://www.wilwood.com/mastercylinders/mastercylinderprod?itemno=260-8555

I currently have a Scott Drake 1" bore master that is leaking after two years  :mad: that I want to replace.

Mjordan

Reaction score
My Car
1973 sports roof
1995 gt
I’m looking at something similar to use with the mustangsteve adapters for cobra brake conversion. Supposedly wilwood has a m/c that’ll work with disc/disc and no power assist. To clean up the engine bay some. You may call them and see what they recommend with your setup.

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang Mach 1
302-2v
C4

I was looking at the same Master as well. Hopefully we get some feedback.

Bentworker

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
71' Grande project.
Nope.

I am running the economy version. 1” bore aluminum V6 mustang one from Mustang Steve with metric bubble ports on the wrong side.

That does look like a nice master cylinder, but in all honesty I kind of like the safety of a quick visual check on fluid level that a translucent reservoir provides.

Reaction score
My Car
Nope.

I am running the economy version.  1” bore aluminum V6 mustang one from Mustang Steve with metric bubble ports on the wrong side.  

That does look like a nice master cylinder, but in all honesty I kind of like the safety of a quick visual check on fluid level that a translucent reservoir provides.
Do you have power/manual brakes? Discs and/or drums?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tnfastbk

VIP Members
Staff member
Reaction score
Bump. Is anyone using Wilwood master cylinders?
I am running a Wilwood MC but I'm also running 4 wheel manual disc brakes with NO proportioning valve. BTW they work great with no issues for several years now. The help line for Wilwood was very helpful.

https://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinders/MasterCylinderLanding

Please mail us at the following address:

Wilwood Engineering

4700 Calle Bolero

Camarillo, CA 93012

USA

Please call, fax or email us:

Phone: (805) 388-1188

Fax: (805) 388-4938

Email Sales/Tech Support

Hours: 6:00am - 5:00pm PST Monday - Friday

Bentworker

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
71' Grande project.
Nope.

I am running the economy version.  1” bore aluminum V6 mustang one from Mustang Steve with metric bubble ports on the wrong side.  

Do you have power/manual brakes? Discs and/or drums?

Power disc / disc.

Reaction score
My Car
I am running a Wilwood MC but I'm also running 4 wheel manual disc brakes with NO proportioning valve. BTW they work great with no issues for several years now. The help line for Wilwood was very helpful.

Wilwood Engineering

4700 Calle Bolero

Camarillo, CA 93012

USA

Email Sales/Tech Support

Which Wilwood MC do you have?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang Mach 1
302-2v
C4

Canted 393

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang mach1 clone
FMX auto
393 stroker
Just used some gentle persuasion of the replacement stainess steel lines.

Canted 393

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang mach1 clone
FMX auto
393 stroker
Just used some gentle persuasion of the replacement stainess steel lines.
But i did put the prop valve on the fender well and hooked up right to the mastercylinder.

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1
I am running the Wilwood with power brakes, but I am running the 1 1/16 bore size and will be swapping to the 1" down the road. I bought a pressure gauge and pressures at all 4 calipers were acceptable, but I felt could stand to be a bit higher. I think it will work beautifully for you

Tnfastbk

VIP Members
Staff member
Reaction score

Wilwood Engineering

4700 Calle Bolero

Camarillo, CA 93012

USA

Email Sales/Tech Support

I will have to pull my records to see which exact bore size I have but Wilwood can answer specific question for your car.

Reaction score
My Car
I am running the Wilwood with power brakes, but I am running the 1 1/16 bore size and will be swapping to the 1" down the road.  I bought a pressure gauge and pressures at all 4 calipers were acceptable, but I felt could stand to be a bit higher.  I think it will work beautifully for you
Thank you. That's the information I needed! I thought the 1" was the right one but I wanted to make sure. 

I have couple questions for you:

-What is your vacuum at idle?

-What calipers do you have on front and rear?

Reaction score
My Car

Wilwood Engineering

4700 Calle Bolero

Camarillo, CA 93012

USA

Email Sales/Tech Support

I will have to pull my records to see which exact bore size I have but Wilwood can answer specific question for your car.
I contacted them a second time a few days ago and did not hear back from them. When I contacted them the first time they keep insisting that it won't work unless I have 18 mmHg of vacuum. Although I understand that I need vacuum for the brakes to work better, it is not to say that there are alternatives to low vacuum. They keep insisting that I change to manual brakes. I found it ironic that a company that sells "high performance" muscle car brakes got so hanged up on the vacuum level when most performance muscle cars have bigger cams and lower vacuum than factory. After a few emails I got fed up and told them to move past the vacuum issue and suggest a size for the master cylinder, but they never replied. Needless to say, I am very frustrated with their customer service. I will just buy the 1" bore master cylinder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts