Wilwood master cylinder

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which Wilwood MC do you have?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I will have to pull my records to see which exact bore size I have but Wilwood can answer specific question for your car.
I contacted them a second time a few days ago and did not hear back from them. When I contacted them the first time they keep insisting that it won't work unless I have 18 mmHg of vacuum. Although I understand that I need vacuum for the brakes to work better, it is not to say that there are alternatives to low vacuum. They keep insisting that I change to manual brakes. I found it ironic that a company that sells "high performance" muscle car brakes got so hanged up on the vacuum level when most performance muscle cars have bigger cams and lower vacuum than factory. After a few emails I got fed up and told them to move past the vacuum issue and suggest a size for the master cylinder, but they never replied. Needless to say, I am very frustrated with their customer service. I will just buy the 1" bore master cylinder.
Man I hate that. I had really good results with them.  I also have manual brakes and called them. It seems that I get better results on the phone.

I wouldn't worry then. You know manufacturers are just out to protect themselves from lawsuits.

12, but I do have a vacuum canister and it seems to work fine for most of the driving I do. Sometimes the pedal is a little firmer though. I put together an electronic vacuum unit using a volvo pump and an aftermarket adjustable valve, but stopped at the mock up stage because I didn't feel it was necessary. I put the canister where the old fuel vent canister was originally mounted

I contacted them a second time a few days ago and did not hear back from them. When I contacted them the first time they keep insisting that it won't work unless I have 18 mmHg of vacuum. Although I understand that I need vacuum for the brakes to work better, it is not to say that there are alternatives to low vacuum. They keep insisting that I change to manual brakes. I found it ironic that a company that sells "high performance" muscle car brakes got so hanged up on the vacuum level when most performance muscle cars have bigger cams and lower vacuum than factory. After a few emails I got fed up and told them to move past the vacuum issue and suggest a size for the master cylinder, but they never replied. Needless to say, I am very frustrated with their customer service. I will just buy the 1" bore master cylinder.
Man I hate that. I had really good results with them.  I also have manual brakes and called them. It seems that I get better results on the phone.
I finally got a response from them. They basically confirm what was stated here. They recommend the 1" and 1 1/16" bore for power brakes. If you want to have a harder pedal feel you go with 1 1/16. I just bought the 1" cylinder, p/n 260-8555-P.

I received this master cylinder today. This thing is a beauty compared to the Scott Drake. It is robust, light, well made and looks like a piece of art. A little longer than stock but I tried and fits well. I can't wait to test its performance once the car is back in the road after the snow/salt are gone.

I received this master cylinder today. This thing is a beauty compared to the Scott Drake. It is robust, light, well made and looks like a piece of art. A little longer than stock but I tried and fits well. I can't wait to test its performance once the car is back in the road after the snow/salt are gone.
I'm glad you finally got things worked out. Mine has been on the car from the time I got it on the road with zero issues. I know its a little late but I will post an email discussing things with Wilwood. Maybe it will help someone else in the process.

Roy,

Thank you for the inquiry and use of Wilwood Disc Brakes.  For manual brakes, the 6:1 pedal ratio is what we recommend as a minimum.  You have two options for master cylinders, if you like a good pedal modulation (travel), you are a smaller person, and the car is mostly street, the 7/8" bore Aluminum tandem master cylinder will be a good choice.  This will provide you with about 1000 psi of pressure at the calipers with 100 pounds of leg effort. 

http://www.wilwood.com/PartNoSearch.aspx?itemno=9439

A 1 inch bore is also usable.  This will stiffen up the pedal, making about 800 psi under the same effort.  Myself being a bigger guy prefers a stiffer pedal.  Also the 1 inch bore is the more popular choice for drag racing.

http://www.wilwood.com/PartNoSearch.aspx?itemno=8555

You may be able to use our 260-8419 or 260-11179 proportioning valves.

http://www.wilwood.com/Search/PartNoSearch.aspx?itemno=8419

http://www.wilwood.com/Search/PartNoSearch.aspx?itemno=11179

Regards,

MJ - Wilwood

Back