Wilwood master cylinder

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
Curious if anyone is using Wilwood's master cylinders for power brakes. I am looking at the p/n 260-8555 with 1" bore for power brakes, disc/disc setup. I have a Wilwood 2-piston front caliper and an ElDorado 1-piston rear setup. It says that these have a 2:1 front bias so I am curious how do they perform. I have a rear line proportioning valve that I will use to fine tune.

https://www.wilwood.com/mastercylinders/mastercylinderprod?itemno=260-8555

I currently have a Scott Drake 1" bore master that is leaking after two years  :mad: that I want to replace.

I’m looking at something similar to use with the mustangsteve adapters for cobra brake conversion. Supposedly wilwood has a m/c that’ll work with disc/disc and no power assist. To clean up the engine bay some. You may call them and see what they recommend with your setup.

Nope.

I am running the economy version. 1” bore aluminum V6 mustang one from Mustang Steve with metric bubble ports on the wrong side.

That does look like a nice master cylinder, but in all honesty I kind of like the safety of a quick visual check on fluid level that a translucent reservoir provides.

Nope.

I am running the economy version.  1” bore aluminum V6 mustang one from Mustang Steve with metric bubble ports on the wrong side.  

That does look like a nice master cylinder, but in all honesty I kind of like the safety of a quick visual check on fluid level that a translucent reservoir provides.
Do you have power/manual brakes? Discs and/or drums?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump. Is anyone using Wilwood master cylinders?
I am running a Wilwood MC but I'm also running 4 wheel manual disc brakes with NO proportioning valve. BTW they work great with no issues for several years now. The help line for Wilwood was very helpful.

https://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinders/MasterCylinderLanding

Please mail us at the following address:

Wilwood Engineering

4700 Calle Bolero

Camarillo, CA 93012

USA

Please call, fax or email us:

Phone: (805) 388-1188

Fax: (805) 388-4938

Email Sales/Tech Support

Hours: 6:00am - 5:00pm PST Monday - Friday

Nope.

I am running the economy version.  1” bore aluminum V6 mustang one from Mustang Steve with metric bubble ports on the wrong side.  

Do you have power/manual brakes? Discs and/or drums?

Power disc / disc.

I am running a Wilwood MC but I'm also running 4 wheel manual disc brakes with NO proportioning valve. BTW they work great with no issues for several years now. The help line for Wilwood was very helpful.

Wilwood Engineering

4700 Calle Bolero

Camarillo, CA 93012

USA

Email Sales/Tech Support

Which Wilwood MC do you have?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I am running the Wilwood with power brakes, but I am running the 1 1/16 bore size and will be swapping to the 1" down the road. I bought a pressure gauge and pressures at all 4 calipers were acceptable, but I felt could stand to be a bit higher. I think it will work beautifully for you

Wilwood Engineering

4700 Calle Bolero

Camarillo, CA 93012

USA

Email Sales/Tech Support

I will have to pull my records to see which exact bore size I have but Wilwood can answer specific question for your car.

I am running the Wilwood with power brakes, but I am running the 1 1/16 bore size and will be swapping to the 1" down the road.  I bought a pressure gauge and pressures at all 4 calipers were acceptable, but I felt could stand to be a bit higher.  I think it will work beautifully for you
Thank you. That's the information I needed! I thought the 1" was the right one but I wanted to make sure. 

I have couple questions for you:

-What is your vacuum at idle?

-What calipers do you have on front and rear?

Wilwood Engineering

4700 Calle Bolero

Camarillo, CA 93012

USA

Email Sales/Tech Support

I will have to pull my records to see which exact bore size I have but Wilwood can answer specific question for your car.
I contacted them a second time a few days ago and did not hear back from them. When I contacted them the first time they keep insisting that it won't work unless I have 18 mmHg of vacuum. Although I understand that I need vacuum for the brakes to work better, it is not to say that there are alternatives to low vacuum. They keep insisting that I change to manual brakes. I found it ironic that a company that sells "high performance" muscle car brakes got so hanged up on the vacuum level when most performance muscle cars have bigger cams and lower vacuum than factory. After a few emails I got fed up and told them to move past the vacuum issue and suggest a size for the master cylinder, but they never replied. Needless to say, I am very frustrated with their customer service. I will just buy the 1" bore master cylinder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back