Window felt

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang convert
Hello all,  A while ago I ordered a set of window felt for our 73 convert. I ordered from a company called Repops. They were recommended as having good quality repro parts. When I got the kit and compared it to the original  parts there was a big difference in size on the felt that attached to the doors. So much so that I contacted the company and explained what I was seeing. They confirmed that they shipped the correct kit but sent another one just to be sure. The second kit has the same issue. See pictures. The top is the original door felt, the lower one is the repro. It is much smaller. It seems that the window will not be guided correctly with the smaller felt and could possible come in contact with the metal on the door at the top. Ford must have had a reason for making the original the size it was so seems strange the repop is so much different. Had anyone else replaced the door felt and did the part match or was it different from original?  What company was it from? I would consider reusing my original felt but there are some cracks in it. Thanks for any input.

I bought the repops kit as well just to replace 1 of the felts on my Convertible. I agree they need to go back to the drawing board and get it right. They are too skinny and a little longer I believe and maybe the spacing of the mounting clips isn't correct either. I think I bought the kit 10 years ago.

From what I have seen 73 years had the wider one-piece belt-line weather strips. Earlier years 71-72 had a skinnier two-piece units, but I could be wrong as I am going on my own experience here. I suspect that the repro manufactures chose the more common two-piece to repro which will work on 73 years as well. I have never seen the wider one piece in repro. I reused my originals, they were very good but not perfect.

You're totally right. However, in early '71 Ford used two of the short outers stacked on the door. You have two kits, so you can do the same. Later in the production run they went to the tall belt strip.

My 72 had the bigger strip. You have to buy a supplement kit for the repro, https://www.cjponyparts.com/outer-beltline-weatherstrip-2-piece-supplement-kit-1971-1973/p/WSBL173/ Ryan

Thanks all for your replies and info.

It seems strange that rather then making the correct part the reproduction market once again chooses to make you cobb something together and charge you extra for it ($50 for the "supplemental kit"... really??). There is clearly demand for the wider felt but I guess it is too costly for them to make it available. Nothing new, but still irritating.

It was probably cheaper to make the one-piece strip plus installation process in the assembly line was quicker.  I do like the wider part my self.
Can the 73 outer WIDE beltline felt be used on the 71 thus eliminating the 2 strips into one?

Thanks all for your replies and info.

It seems strange that rather then making the correct part the reproduction market once again chooses to make you cobb something together and charge you extra for it ($50 for the "supplemental kit"... really??). There is clearly demand for the wider felt but I guess it is too costly for them to make it available. Nothing new, but still irritating.
Amen brother!!

Im going through this exact thing right now. I bought the hole beltline kit for 49.00 I think it was a 8 piece set. But the supplemental for 2 piece is 50.00 Thats B.S

Yes, is a disappointment to have to work with some of the aftermarket parts. I ended up using the narrower repro parts, but not happy with it ..... Good luck with yours!

I tried a new approach when I contemplated replacing the original, wider door window felts on my 1973 fastback recently. As many of you know, the reproduction window felt kits are nowhere close to the wider OEM felts used in 1973. Perhaps some of you could benefit from this approach. Here's what I did with satisfactory results:

Since I wanted to try to reuse the well-engineered, wide, original felts but because they had become worn, torn and brittle (typically only at the exposed top edge) I cleaned them up as best I could, then I remounted them just below the Re-pops window felts I purchased new. This way you have the new-looking rubber/felt edge helping to keep out water yet you have all the original window support Ford intended when you roll down the window into the door. Remounting the old, wider felts was just a matter of drilling 4-5 new holes in the old felts and door inner sheet metal (use an extended length drill bit to reach into the area). I used #8 screws and butted/aligned the old felts right under the new felts. I now have a new looking window felt and a quiet, fully-supported window when shutting the door hard.

DO NOT throw out your old, wide window felts! Just remount them under a new felt. This approach will save you spending an addition $50 for the “supplemental” felt kit, too.

Attachments

• 73 Window felt Installed.jpg
    73 Window felt Installed.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
I have a 71 door and a 73 door and yep the felts are different …

Back