Windshield header buzz....

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red73

Reaction score
My Car
73 convertible
My 73 convertible has an annoying buzz that seems to be coming from the area around the stainless header above the windshield. It starts at about 50 mph or so and gets really annoying at about 70. I've looked for loose trim and tried feeling around for a vibration when it happens but everything seems tight. Has anybody else experienced this?  Any suggestions what to try next?

Get some of the 2" wide blue painters tape. Try taping different areas of the windshield and header area until you figure it out. I'd suggest first taping down the upper bright trim along the top horizontal edge of the windshield and then go for a drive to see if you still hear it. Try the side trim next, then maybe the header panel trim (the wide panels where the top meets the windshield.

HTH,

Curtis

I have attached some pictures of what you can expect to find. There is a good possibility that one or more of your brackets that holds the upper trim on has broken loose from the trim. They are spot welded with tiny little welds. I have taken 4 convertibles apart and everyone has had broke loose brackets. You can have them TIG welded back in place.

You have to remove the sun visors and the inside trim on the upper windshield header to get to the nuts on the stainless trim.

There is also a piece of foam that is stuck to the stainless trim and seals off on the windshield frame header. The foam just turns to goo over time. Clean all of that out and go to Lowe's or a home hardware and get so closed cell foam sealing tape to replace it with. I forget the size can get it if you need me to had some left on roll from last project. The two side pieces of stainless are a pain to get off due to the A post to window seal has to come off to get to the screws and there is also a screw under the front fender so it has to be at least taken far enough off to get to the short phillips screw at the bottom of the A post.

You can polish the stainless and make it look new while off if you have a buffer or lots of elbow grease.

The inside cover is usually rusted and has the satin chrome on it to reduce glare. I took the rust off mine in Molasses tank then sprayed with satin clear to stop the rust. Looks ok but not many people get in the car and even look.

The picture with the tape measure was made after all the goo was washed off with lacquer thinner. The foam seal keeps the water out also.

Another annoying wind whistle is when the sleeves on the tie rod ends get turned just right they become a whistle.

free photo upload sites

Thanks for the tips! That also answered my question of how I get the darn things off! ;>)

For years Iv'e had a water leak every time it rains (I used to drive it in the rain...), despite replacing the top weatherstrip. Now I'm suspecting that its coming under the chrome and past whatever is left of that foam.

Have a long weekend ahead so I know what I'm doing tomorrow!

Bill

If you do have the package left and can tell me that size that seemed to work, that would be great. It would save me an extra trip back to Home Depot when I get the wrong size!  ;)

Bill

Back