Windshield Pillar Molding 1971-1973

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 dark green
First post other then intro thread.  Took my new '72 Mach 1 out today for a test drive and saw both windshield pillars are cracked/broken in several places.  I see that Scott Drake makes a set for about $170 but on CJ pony parts it had 8 reviews, 6 were just one star but I could not get those reviews to open.  is Scott Drake the only choice for these?  If so does anyone have any experience with the Scott Drake moldings?

https://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-windshield-pillar-molding-pair-fastback-1971-1973/p/WM9/

Last edited by a moderator:
Fix yours... Do not buy the repro ones they are bad

How bad are they? Can you post pictures of them. I can't promise anything, but I may be able to help you out with tips on fixing them yourself.

The really hard part is getting the textured finish correct. 

Your best bet overall may be to look for used originals in good condition, then repaint as needed.

Let me know if I can offer any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
The A post covers are a very difficult part to repo. If you look at the part the mold had to have multiple slides to be able to mold the part and get out of the tool. They probably tried to cut corners and everyone says they do not fit. Same with the rear inside back panels for the vert everyone says they do not fit at all.

One thing on the repair. Most of the trim pieces, grill, interior trim console are ABS plastic. You can clean the parts really good with hot water and Dawn dish washing liquid. The wipe down with lacquer thinner. You can use a clean soldering iron to heal cracks from the back side. If you have a small piece missing you can take a scrap piece of ABS plastic and I stick a coarse DA pad to work bench and grind it up. I then mix the ground up plastic with drops of acetone which melts the ABS and you can use to fill in gaps. You can also get ABS glue at your local hardware. 

To reinforce the part you can use epoxy and fiberglass mat to strengthen the part on the back side. I do this when fixing a console. 

When you remove them there is a tricky little molded piece where the center screw is be sure you do not loose it. That supports the part in the center and gives the screw something to pull up on.

Also the windshield is held in with a strip of very tacky glue. It is usually all over the A post cover so go easy when getting off you might have to cut the glue with razor knife.

Most of the covers have the very bottom end broken off where the washer head screw is and the broke part gets lost.

If anyone has put Armorall on the interior it is almost impossible to get off completely so you get fish eyes when you paint. 

You can find them used but will probably cost about $125 for a decent pair. Look in the north east for used ones. In south west the heat and sunlight have destroyed them. I got a car from Arizona and the A post covers just crumbled into pieces.

Fix yours... Do not buy the repro ones they are bad

Not trying to rob this thread but>>>>>>

This excellent information is coming from a valued member who is a Vendor. He was recommended to me by others on here.   Just another reason I have no problem buying from Don at Ohio Mustang. 

:bravo:

Thanks Don.

Ray

Just took out the driver side and it looks like I may be missing some pieces. I guess the dash pad has to come off to get it all out, correct? I may not have a choice but to go with the Scott Drake ones. There is a set on fleabay, one each at $190 EACH. For that I might have to try the Scott Drake ones and make them work.

Just took out the driver side and it looks like I may be missing some pieces.  I guess the dash pad has to come off to get it all out, correct?  I may not have a choice but to go with the Scott Drake ones.  There is a set on fleabay, one each at $190 EACH.  For that I might have to try the Scott Drake ones and make them work.
I would seriously look around for some originals first.

Back