Wing Pedestals base curved?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Vert 351
As the title states, my wing pedestal bases are curved. Before I buy new ones, is there a trick I don’t know to get them straight? Are they from a different car? Not sure as previous owner installed it. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0581.jpeg
    IMG_0581.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Those should be flat. If they're cast metal like the originals, there's a chance they'll crack if you attempt to straighten them.
Without doubt they'll crack.
The original spoiler I found also had the bases curved upward. I would think they warp after diecasting. There ought to have been windage put into the die so they cool straight and flat.
Using a new gasket and not tightening too much is about the best you can do. Some type of shim might be an idea to look at too. That one in the pic is really curved by the look of it.
What about repops, are they available?

Mine bent after the wing hit the garage door so maybe it happened by someone leaning too much weight on it or similar situation. Get a pair of new ones since I expect them to brake when you try to straighten, or just give it a try and if they break you don't have much to lose.

Back