Winter and the Mustang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible (Mach I Tribute)
Now that winter is upon us, I just don't want to have the stang sit in the garage the whole winter. So what's the proper procedure with keeping a car over the winter while maybe taking her out for a ride say once a month, so dry rot doesn't set in.

Now that winter is upon us, I just don't want to have the stang sit in the garage the whole winter. So what's the proper procedure with keeping a car over the winter while maybe taking her out for a ride say once a month, so dry rot doesn't set in.
Living in Florida I'm not well versed in "winterizing" vehicles but I'd say the best procedure for keeping her from rotting is taking her out for a ride say... several times a month :)

I pull mine out of the garage and run it a couple of times a month. If there is no salt on the road I will take it out for a spin on a nice day.

I live in NJ also. We have plenty of clear days in the winter to get the car out for 2 hours to charge the battery and bring the drive train up to full temp. Just dont leave it out in the weather unless you have a high quality cover. The snow never sticks around for more than a few days anyway. If yer town dumps tons of salt like mine, wait till it rains a bit and washes it away. Never put hot water on a car and never wash the car unless you know there's time for it to dry completely. I have never owned a set of snow tires but i have all season radials with good rain rating.

Here in WNY we pretty much park 'em and leave them alone until spring when the rain really washes the salt away.

Basic steps include (for indoor storage at least): fill tank (adding a fuel stabilizer is optional) to airspace in tank is minimal to prevent condensation inside tank.; disconnect (and/or remove) battery ; throw a bunch of fabric softener sheets around interior and trunk (helps keep mice, etc at bay) ; lay opened bag of charcoal briquets on floor (will absorb excess moisture and can use for BBQ in the spring); cover with a decent car cover. That's pretty much been my drill for the past 20 years.

The only bad situation I run into on occasion is we will get a very warm day (50F +) and the inside of the garage and the concrete floor slab is still below freezing. This creates heavy condensation on all objects in the garage. If possible I will open all doors and run a bunch of floor fans to try to clean the moisture.

Here in Phoenix:

1. open garage door

2. start car

3. Pull car out of garage

4. Put top down. (This can also be done in the garage, best to give it a quick wipe before putting it down)

5. have fun!

I'm just like Bill, I park the car and get back to it in the spring.

I'll drive it right up to the first snow fall, once the roads get salted, I won't drive it till we get heavy rain to wash it all away in March / April

but if I get a chance I'll run the car for 10-15 min. which doesn't happen often.

I winterize the car the same way I winterize the boat, I add fuel stabilizer, and drive the car around for a bit, to make sure its in the system, then I'll use fogging oil down the carb just incase I don't get out there to run the car over the winter, then I remove the battery and place it on a shelf in my laundry room, and put a fresh coat of wax on the body.

i just put a car cover over it, make sure the tires are inflated, put a battery minder on it, and pretty much leave it alone.

i used to put fuel stabilizer in it, however fuel can seriously go over a year in a reasonably controlled garage environment, also the fuel stabilizer would contaminate my spark plug porcelain.

oh throw a scented car freshener inside i used to put a tray of baking soda and coffee grinds in the foot wells, but it was just overkill if you have a decently dry garage.

that is it... some people say to crack the windows due to moisture, and i would if i had a wet garage but the other issue is if you crack the windows, spiders or mice can get in.

I pretty much just fill the tank disconnect the battery, put the dryer sheets in and put the car cover on it. I start the car up every once in a while, wish I was in warmer climes, swear at you Southern boys that can drive yours all year, and shut her down till I need another fix of hearing the rumble!

Back