Wiper motor will not turn off

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I disassembled a wiper motor to detail it and replace the wiring harness that was damaged by rodents. When I put it back together, it works great in both speeds but keeps running when the switch is turned off. I then replaced all the components again from different motors I have and it still won't turn off. I did regrease the gears. Maybe I got grease somewhere where I wasn't supposed to? I checked the ground strap and sanded all the connections to the firewall, so that's not the problem. It's not the switch. I threw on an untouched wiper motor and it works fine. Any ideas?

I am inclined to agree with BentWorker on this one. Attached is 1973 Shop Manual Section 35-60 for Windshield Wipers. They provide several decent illustrations you can refer to.

Attachments

• 1973Mustang_WindshieldWipers_Section_34-60_20230514.pdf
    988.1 KB · Views: 2
I disassembled a wiper motor to detail it and replace the wiring harness that was damaged by rodents. When I put it back together, it works great in both speeds but keeps running when the switch is turned off. I then replaced all the components again from different motors I have and it still won't turn off. I did regrease the gears. Maybe I got grease somewhere where I wasn't supposed to? I checked the ground strap and sanded all the connections to the firewall, so that's not the problem. It's not the switch. I threw on an untouched wiper motor and it works fine. Any ideas?
Ooops! That's exactly where I piled on the grease, lol! I'll clean it and try again. Thanks for the replies!

Kevin.

The motor actually reverses itself when shut off so the wiper blades will park. Lood for a loose or broken contact where the motor contacts are near the gear cover.. Also, where the chewed wires were, double check continuity at any splices.

I am inclined to agree with BentWorker on this one. Attached is 1973 Shop Manual Section 35-60 for Windshield Wipers. They provide several decent illustrations you can refer to.
Ooops, I could and should have provided a schematic so you can double check the wiring and voltages. Here you go, from a 73 schematic. If this is not like what you have let me know trhe model year and I will see if there is a difference in prior years. I am pretty sure 71-73 were the same with wiper motor schematics, although at the fuse block there were likely some differences...

Attachments

• 1973Mustang_WiperSwitchAndMotor_20230515.pdf
    370.7 KB · Views: 5
Is it possible to bench test the wiper motor?
I took mine apart to clean it all out and repair it. It was in the parked position when I took it apart. But did not go back together in the parked position.
Thanks

Did you find a solution for this?

Back