Wipers wrong position

Copestang

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
when i turn the wiper off they stop in the up position how do i change this, it’s is a new wiper motor 

Bentworker

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
71' Grande project.
I didn't know anyone was making a new motor for the 71-73's

Look at 

Copestang

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
You are right there is no New wiper motor, not sure what i did, it was about 3 years ago, but i know i did change something that got to do with the wipers. i’m going try what you have posted, thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a problem similar to this. Changed wiper switch, wiper motor to no avail. The problem turned out to be the thickness of the washer under the wiper handle as this influences the wiper park switch contacts in the wiper motor also make sure that you do not have the nut mounting the handle on the motor spindle too tight. The original Ford workshop manual vaguely mentions this. Hope that this helps.

Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
OMG my memory is gone. I just did two of them in 2019. I seem to recall a cam inside that breaks the contact at a certain poing. I took completely apart washed all the old dried up grease out and put the Lucas Red-N-Taky #2 grease in. Have not had that issue. There is also two positions for the wiper arms on the casting. Rotates a few degrees up in what I think Ford call winter position. I did not know that until another member told me.
When you turn the switch off the gear box rotates until it gets to the right point and stops. Something is out of time or not working right.